Converting To Sikhism

catsagdn

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well u really not converting to anything new.cos everyone is born in the world as a sikh.u just blossoming into that for which u were made.sikhi is not a religion you acquire or convert to.its the natural order and will of god fer all.time is up fer the rest.G.Nanak didnt come to this world to start just another religion,thats boring.or to ve 50 million or 2 billion followers.no,HE IS COME TO SAVE THE WHOLE OF THE UNIVERSE.KAL TARAN GUR NANAK AIYA.sikhi is a force slowly unleashing itself unto the entire universe.and wen it reaches momentum every religion u see tuday wil just like a mighty tsunami be melted n carried into sikhi cos RAJ KAREGA KHALSA.there is no lie in that statement.you are just the next guy that has been 'hit' by the tsunami of sikhi.lets stop preaching to this guy wat sikhi is or is not.lets let out a loud shout of jaikara cos he just being struck by the invading cosmic wave sweeping through the cosmos right now,MY SWEET PRECIOUS SIKHI.

I am a white man harboring a desire to become a sikh my question is will I have to wear a beard and turban if I become a sikh and will I be accepted by the punjabi community as a sikh?

Devon

152752[/snapback]

Devon Ji,

If you are in Devon PA please e-mail me as I work over there and can help you with any questions you have about SIKHISM.

Thanks

You seem to know more Punjabi than average "white man" as you put it  grin.gif

152853[/snapback]

Lion(LK)King Please, if you have nothing good to say, please leave the conversation, we as sikhs are supposed to encourage others to join and help interested people - not turn them away. The following statement, it sounds like a criticizing devon.

WTH guy's... can't you do better than this????

nj_singh Devon isn't his location :lol:

Sat Sri Akal:

"I am a white man harboring a desire to become a sikh my question is will I have to wear a beard and turban if I become a sikh and will I be accepted by the punjabi community as a sikh?"

Two parts in that question, so here's a two part answer.

1) Beard and turban - the beard (as well as unshorn hair) and turban are parts of the discipline of being a Sikh. So to be a Sikh, yes.

2) Acceptance by the Punjabi community - don't worry about acceptance from the Punjabi community. The Punjabi community is not the boss of you or anyone else. Heck, some Punjabis give Punjabi Sikhs wierd looks, because they have forgotten their own roots (those whose ancestors were Punjabi Sikhs anyways).

One thing I will say...do not do anything out of pressure (aka. must keep hair and turban immediately before even delving into Sikhism). Learn about Sikhism, read Gurbani (the Word of the Gurus) and see if it is the path for you. If you feel it is, continue to read and pursue the path of Sikhism. Those who feel drawn to Sikhism find the requirement of a beard and turban a gift from the Gurus, as it was the Guru's own image that was passed onto the Sikhs. This is, for most people, a path that does take some time, and is not an instantaneous transformation (although the Almighty works in its own unique way).

If you have questions...that's why this forum was set up...so you can ask them. Please feel free to question everything and anything...keeps this place interesting... blush.gif

You seem to know more Punjabi than average "white man" as you put it  grin.gif

152853[/snapback]

Lion(LK)King Please, if you have nothing good to say, please leave the conversation, we as sikhs are supposed to encourage others to join and help interested people - not turn them away. The following statement, it sounds like a criticizing devon.

WTH guy's... can't you do better than this????

nj_singh Devon isn't his location :lol:

152867[/snapback]

Vaheguru JI Ka Khalsa Vaheguru Ji Ki Fateh

I was in no way turning him away, and apologize if that is how it sounded

I simply think it is important for non-sikhs to reall realise that the path of Sikhi is not easy, and merely converting will not get you anywhere, like other religions say. Unless you work on spiritual jeevan, we ain't getting anywhere, whether we're Sikhs, Muslims, Hindus or Christians, it doens't matter. Whereas other religions promise mukti as soon as you convert and believe in their prophet, Sikhi does not, and this is something that people should know, so tha they don't convert with the crave for Mukti, since Guru Sahib says, Raaj na chao Mukt na Chao Man preet charan kamalarey.

p.s Found it fun how an average white man knew so many words of Punjab, already before converting :TH:

Bhull chukk maaf If i had said anything wrong, against Gurmat no.gif

Vaheguru JI Ka Khalsa Vaheguru Ji Ki Fateh

Lion King paaji

i think you may have misread the login names... the man named Devon was something different than the replier who replied with punjabi words..

DEvon's name was like..ctljksomethingsomething... but the one who replied was cavanagh..... they're two different people, i was confused at first too, but i checked the names again, (and the post counts) and figured out otherwise.

its about geting more views LK ji :lol:

Anyways back to this topic.. well about Punjabi poeple.

One thing Im telling you buddy, When a genuine Sikh (or someone who loves the path that much) sees a convert, they'll feel soo uplifted on seeing you in that appearance. For them, It will be an inspiration in itself.

So dont worry about it.