Why Do Nihang Singhs...

Is there anything in that sentence that you didnt understand.

Why are you so touchy? Depending on how it is prepared, cannabis drink can be a blatant intoxicant. We all know there are some Nihangs who take it and get high. It is wrong as far as I am concerned for any kind of intoxicant to be consumed. They should not do it.

153528[/snapback]

because its been said over and over.

The argument that it makes you high is untrue, unless the Nihangs purposefully prepare it so that it gets you high. I personally don't agree with it but we need real arguments.

As far as whether they should do it or not, I couldnt care less. If someone wnats to pervert the way they follow their religion then it doesnt matter - whether they do it or not they fail to understand the basis of Sikhi and are using it for their own personal means...like the people going around saying its ok to cut your hair/drink beer/eat meat etc

If they want to do it its fine by me...its the parading of it as part of Gurmat that bothers me.

Sat Sri Akal:

Well, here's something to annoy you all further:

When it became clear that Mrs. Gandhi was not going to allow the SGPC and the High Priests to repair their shrines, Buta Singh turned to the leader of a sect of nihangs or Sikh warriors, Baba Santa Singh. He was an elderly and extremely portly Sikh whose followers were distinguished for their ruggedness rather than their piety. Many of them were fond of taking opium.

http://www.amritworld.com/nihangs/karseva.html

It seems that battlefield medicine has been evolving...

WJKK WJKF

I would like to ask why SOME nihang singhs have PHANG, SHARAB, and DHEG?

ALSO some of there arguments are that "if it wernt for doped up singhs we wudnt be here today"!! Also some say its shaheedi dheg its allowed because singhs needed it in battle field etc etc... so can i please have some views on this.

Also another question to the people that have dheg and phang etc

WHAT SHAHEEDI DHEG OR PHANG DID AMAR SHAHEED BABA DEEP SINGH JI HAVE TO FIGHT WITHOUT HIS HEAD? Because if u lot got some give me some please  :e:  because i personaly thought it was the power of naam simran and parth lol.

PHULL CHUK MAAF.

153200[/snapback]

Lets get one thing clear.

If we are talking about old Nihungs then they never used Bhang in the smoking sense.

It was used medicinally before a battle in small quantities to stop anxiety, and also prevent muscle cramps. It was taken in the form of a drink. It is known as "Sookha".

However, I get the feeling that it is abused by some quarters as an intoxicant......due to the psychological nature of the addiction to it.

There are always two sides two Sikhism. The Spiritual and the Temporal. The former Naam Simiran goes without saying (in so much keeping the mind alert and your wits about you), but the Temporal (in this case the physical) does not mean you neglect your body. In this case people like Baba Deep Singh would have kept his body and mind in tip top condition. He would have eaten well and trained hard. His mental discipline would have been incredible. He suffered a fatal gash too his neck and was able to still fight through enormous bloodloss. Some say (like in the pictures), his head was actually severed (but that is a seperate debate).

Anyway, going back to the topic, even if Baba Deep Singh used bhang to stop muscle cramps, he would have done so wisely because he knew his mind and body so well. He was a warrior of supreme ability and therefore would have ensured he had all advantages. My feeling is i doubt he would have needed it. Other Sikhs may have had to use it.

I been seeing you keep on posting that sukha doesn't get u high. You know what, that is a load of bull. Have you ever seen a fake Nihung? Fake Nihungs = those who take drugs. A Fake Nihung's dog took and the dog was going backward while thinking it was tring to go forward. The 2 Fake Nihungs were down and out and didn't even know that their dog also took some bhung. They hadnn't finisshed drinking all of it and they were out. With bhung, the nasha depends on climate, amount of griding, rain, heat, cold, etc. etc.

The guys I am talking about were planning to go and get more after taking what they had. These Fake Nihungs only seem to fight one war, war against bhung.

These guys have done nothing for the Panth since they started taking that junk. They been going down and their reputation is worse than anyone u want to talk about. Every some time, i read a kartoot by a fake nihung related to drugs and stuff.

Maryada clearly states not to take it. I don't see Nihungs going to any real wars. Even rehatnamas say not to take it. Nasha is nasha. Medicines that are strong are given by doctors with prescriptions. Also there is a dosage and no one exceeds it. Today someone take 2 sips, tom. 3, then 4 then 5 and guess what u get addicted.

Bhung is also addictive, those who say no do nothing but lie. Nihung in my village was addicted, he was dying to get some that day. It is a bajjar kurehit and anyone doing it needs to pesh and retake amrit and accept tankhaa.

Its a pity that we are debating something about which, it is clearly stated in our Rehat Maryada.

(j) A Sikh must not take hemp (cannabis), opium, liquor, tobacco, in short any intoxicant. His only routine intake should be food. (Section 4 Chapter 10).

So I wonder why this thread has gone this long.

153696[/snapback]

Following this logic, we should not take any medicines, since some medicines contain alcohol.

There is a definite difference between taking alcohol, or hemp as a form of medication, and that to be taken to get off your head. Don't confuse the too.

Those fools who justify getting off their heads on hemp because it was given in small quatities in a medicinal form before battle are fools................bt then again, we Sikhs have not the best reputation for intelligence.

• 13 years later...
On 2/27/2006 at 11:53 PM, The Khalsa Fauj said:

I been seeing you keep on posting that sukha doesn't get u high. You know what, that is a load of bull. Have you ever seen a fake Nihung? Fake Nihungs = those who take drugs. A Fake Nihung's dog took and the dog was going backward while thinking it was tring to go forward. The 2 Fake Nihungs were down and out and didn't even know that their dog also took some bhung. They hadnn't finisshed drinking all of it and they were out. With bhung, the nasha depends on climate, amount of griding, rain, heat, cold, etc. etc.

The guys I am talking about were planning to go and get more after taking what they had. These Fake Nihungs only seem to fight one war, war against bhung.

These guys have done nothing for the Panth since they started taking that junk. They been going down and their reputation is worse than anyone u want to talk about. Every some time, i read a kartoot by a fake nihung related to drugs and stuff.

Maryada clearly states not to take it. I don't see Nihungs going to any real wars. Even rehatnamas say not to take it. Nasha is nasha. Medicines that are strong are given by doctors with prescriptions. Also there is a dosage and no one exceeds it. Today someone take 2 sips, tom. 3, then 4 then 5 and guess what u get addicted.

Bhung is also addictive, those who say no do nothing but lie. Nihung in my village was addicted, he was dying to get some that day. It is a bajjar kurehit and anyone doing it needs to pesh and retake amrit and accept tankhaa.

Im an Amritdhari and i drink it because it was prescribed by a doctor.  I have nerve damage and arthriti .