Jot

kirandeep

wjkk wjkf veerji's and penji's

its me again, i had been havin a lot of probs in my life at the moment i tried to do everything in order to mayb make it a lil beta.

som1 said do anand sahib 6 paurea 5 times afta nitnem

som1 said do mool mantar 5 times afta nitnem

som1 said do chopae sahib 5 times in the day and so on

and thts all fine, even if doing all tht paat didnt make the actual situation beta it wud have made me beta as a person in reciting wahegurus bani i dnt have a prob wid tht

but then som1 said light a Jot wen u do nitnem, put som water there along wid parshaad (made of 5 fings) so lyk 5 almonds or similar

ok i get tht 2. bt the Jot is wot i had queries about

supposedly a Jot is symobolising waheguru's parkash (as in we know tht waheguru is light, thts fine) bt i dnt understand how lighting a Jot kinda brings waheguru closer to the person or makes waheguru happier. im sorri if i sound a lil stupid, cz well i am, im widout gian and thts wot i wud lyk to have, so please if ne1 out there can fill me in on this...i wud b much appreciatative.

bul chuk maf pray.gif

waheguru ji ka khalsa

waheguru ji ki fateh

WJKK WJKF ji

Penji, I don't think a Jot or prashaad will do any difference. Sadness in life usualy comes because of your state of mind. Maybe your situations are not bad, you might be seeing it in a bad way.

Remember penji: There are many people who are in worse situatoin taht yourserlf.

Making Waheguru "happier" is just bhraminvaadi - ie: to make God happy do so and so. Akal Purakh Waheguru Ji is in TOTAL BLISS - anand hi anand. From what I just read, I'm guessing you might think God is "unhappy" or "angry" at you.. This is WRONG!!!

DUKH DAROO SUKH ROG PEYA. You should be happy that you in a bad situation, because this itself will bring you closer to God. I can't think of a tuk in Gurbani, but I think there is one that shows this...

Anyway, Just do as much paath as possible, with Love, whether your sad or happy :lol:

If i commited any stupid mistakes, please forgive me

And please don't say you don't have gian, you do..

We will be looking forward to learn from yourself

WJKK WJKF

we've argued over this a million times - try searching the forum.

Theres a bunch of people who don't believe in using jot, and a bunch who do.

The jot is not there to 'make waheguru happy' or 'bring him closer', waheguru is already inside of you - the point is to do paath so you can recognise waheguru everywhere.

I think the theory behind the jot is that it attracts gupt shaktia which purify the pace in which you are doing paath.

wjkkwjkp!

The jot derives from the times when electricity was rare... While reciting an Akhand Paath, singhs would light a jot in order to make sure that light was present in order for the Paathi Singh to see the Baanee... This should still be adhered to in all gurdwaray because we never know when there's going to be a power cut. So lighting a jot helps in that situation.

With regards to the original topic on lighting a jot because someone says to... there are 2 ways you can look at things.

1. Get on a do it with shardaa, listen to them and even if you don't know what use it has, just do it anyway.

or

2. Cynically look at the good and bad points of lighting a jot.

At the end of the day, Guroo Saahib tells us not be cynical but to do things if a Gursikh asks you to (within reason, I dont want people to take that out of context and say "well if a Gursikh tells u to kill someone, do uhave to do that etc...). If you dont understand why something is done, the best way to learn is not by questioning, but by accepting and reading Baanee.

Once we begin to realise Guroo Saahib is Truth and that everything they do and tell us to do is Truth, Only then will we be liberated and all confusions and questions will be eradicated.

wjkkwjkp!

Taksali Singh Veer jeeyo, Guru Nanak Dev Ji didn't resort to looking at others and just doing Paath, but he actually QUESTIONED everything being done. Gurmukhs, can have faults. Guru sahib Says that everyone is Bhullan har, and that only Vaheguru himself and the Guru are abhull. Instead of imitating others, it might be a very good things to question, since they might unconsciously doing blind faith, andif not he might have something extremely valueble to take with you. I'm not sure Guru Sahib wanted his Sikhs to be very passive.

If people want to do an extra chaupie sahib, extra japji Sahib after their rehras- mubarak tot hem - that's amazing, however we shouldn't impose our own ruitines and beliefs on others.

Guru Bin Ghor andra Gur Bin Samaj na avai.

Without Guru Sahib we won't understand, so yes we should read more and more Gurbani, and rely on Gurbani for answer. If Guru Sahibs jeevan and Gurbani makes something manmat, then it is manmat, if Guru Sahib embraces something it is Gurmat.

Guru Sahib was not passive in any way, and nor should a Sikh be IMHO.

you can do this baani 5 times, this baani this many times and light this and stand on one leg for an hour and then do 24 jumping jacks and then 100 situps....

if you say God's name even one time with a pure heart and with pure devotion, it will erase countless of sins and bring you peace. If you truly believe god or waaheguru is your master, then why would the slave be sad when his master is in chardi kala 24-7? get away from the ritualism, naam jap with pyaar and sharda. that is the best way to please God. be happy that your master is akaal, niranjan, deen dayal, samrath, nirvair, nirbhau, alakh, apaar, agam, agochar, and on and on and on.

peace.