Sign in to follow this  
*B*

Questions

I'm kind of floating around as far as religion goes, and I'd like to know more about Sikhism. I was raised as a Christian, but a lot of it doesn't add up to me.... I'm just really confused. Meh.

Waheguroo jee ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo jee kee Fateh!

Well its good that you are looking around, but what do you know, and what do you want to know :lol:

Waheguroo jee ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo jee kee Fateh!

I know...pretty much nothing. I read about like unshorn hair rules and wearing cuffs on the arms and stuff, but nothing really detailed.

Is the language that is used here Punjab?

Guest lowest of the low singhni

vjkk vjkf

the language spoken and written in Punjab is Punjabi, and the written scriptures in Guru Granth Saheb are in Gurmukhi.

~l~

vjkk vjkf

I know...pretty much nothing. I read about like unshorn hair rules and wearing cuffs on the arms and stuff, but nothing really detailed.

153948[/snapback]

Hey, welcome to the forums. There are 5 kakars (K's) we should wear as a Khalsa (meaning Pure). Khalsa is a Saint and Soldier.

These are: ...

Kesh - unshorn hair, love the way God made you. Cuting hair = cuting off a suply of energy.

Kangha - Wooden Comb, to clean the hair..Represents purity of soul

Kara - Pure steel bracelet, good 4 defending your wrist during sword fights. represents the act of keeping within the boundaries of Sikhi.

Kirpan - Sword, representing honour and justice. ONLY use it to defend the weak.

It's part of the discpline of the Khalsa, established by Guru Gobind Singh ji.

Basically, Sikhi is based around Naam Simran (remembering God's name) Naam = name ie: Waheguru. This, when repeated with love for the creator.. the father.. the best friend, makes your soul feel uplifted.

Sorry for lack of info.. thats all i can give so far.. any questions?

Do women do all the K's the same way as men do? Since I'm a girl, and girls normally have silent roles in religion. At least, that's how i was brought up.

In sikhi women have FULL equality with men, and once they have taken amrit (been baptised) they wear all the 5ks. Just one point to make (not trying to start any arguments) however some of us believe that keski, a small turban is the k, not kesh, however you still need to keep kesh, so women should wear a turban aswell. But im not allowed to talk about it lol (against forum rules).

So, women do everything but the turban?

Kesh, Kirpan, Kara, Kangha, right?

How would a Christian convert to Sikhism? How do you take amrit? Am i even allowed to convert if i'm white or a Christian?

Women are required to cover their hair at all times, either wit a patka (bandaana) or a keski/dastaar (turban). For some reason its required for a men and optional for a women, which i dont believe either but thats how its written .. BUT.. mre and more girls are adopting the turban nowadays.

Sikhism is one of the few religions that stress equality between men and women and considers no one higher or lower than one another. Unfortunely, like any other religion, its WRITTEN but not PRACTISED by all. So unfortunetely you will see lots of mixed views is that because peple like to start their own side to things.

SIkhi is meant to be simple.. we had 10 gurus .. each of them had their own things to say, of which the first 5 and 9th, sacred scriptures are composed in the guru granth sahib ji, which we believe to be an actual person (rather than just a 'book') and to be the 11th and final guru!

After our last guru past away in 1708 (guru gobind singh), he said to everyone 'guru maneyo granth' .. which means your next guru is sri guru granth sahib ji.

In 1699 .. like a singh mentionedbefore .. guru gobind singh ji arranged a initiation ceremony of the KHALSA (pure ones) like a baptised ceremony .. he asked for heads of 5 people .. those 5 that were destined to stand up and give their head did. Tens of thousands of people estimated to have taken amrit that day. It is required for all sikh to have the 5 K's kanga(comb), kes(full unshorn hair on anypart of ur body),kirpan, kara (iron bracelet), and kacheraa (long breachers).

Women had fought along side as men during the touch times in india of mughal empire invasions. They can do anything a man is entitled to do, as they are equal to a man.

For your question .. if you can convert..

Anyone can convert into sikhism. I encourage you to learn more about your religion as well though .. as christianity is a beautiful religion itself you just gotta dig further. But if you dont find what your looking for in there, i would then suggest do some more research in sikhism and if sikhi is the best for you then go for it. Amrit is something that is a bond for the rest of your life, so only if your 200% sure you wont break your sikhi routine, then gofor it.

The path is straight but their are many obstacles in the way that we must try to avoid and not get trapped in. Rest is upto you and how strong you are as a person :lol:

Vaheguroooo pray.gif

So, women do everything but the turban?

Kesh, Kirpan, Kara, Kangha, right?

How would a Christian convert to Sikhism? How do you take amrit? Am i even allowed to convert if i'm white or a Christian?

154886[/snapback]

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa. Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh.

women in sikhism also wear Dastars (turbans).

there are many who do.

and many who dont.... :cool:

"Saabat Soorat Dastar Sira."

since Gurbaani is for everyone, it clearly states that we should tie a Dastar.

but....no one should be forced....

truth is..i dont understand why girls dont want to wear the Dastar first place...Guru ji gave sikhs an identity...all sikhs! ...no matter what gender..

i know that some girls arent ready for it.....but i dont understand why some girls say that they wont ever wear it...

ITS OUR CROWN! :lol:

i hope that i havent hurt anyone :cool:

peace...

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa. Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh.

Where in USa r u from? If ur from nearby, maybe i can get some local ppul to help out too. If ur nott 2 close then i can refer u 2 su ppul who will help.

So...a turban is a dastar? And it's optional for women (they could wear a patka instead)?

I think the reason i'm leaving Christianity is because of my family. They believe anyone who hasn't been "saved" and "baptised" in THEIR way is going to hell. I have trouble believing that. If God wanted us to be the same, why would he make us all so different? Shouldn't we celebrate that?

I'm from the South. Namely, TN