Questions

*B*

Women are required to cover their hair at all times, either wit a patka (bandaana) or a keski/dastaar (turban). For some reason its required for a men and optional for a women, which i dont believe either but thats how its written .. BUT.. mre and more girls are adopting the turban nowadays.

Sikhism is one of the few religions that stress equality between men and women and considers no one higher or lower than one another. Unfortunely, like any other religion, its WRITTEN but not PRACTISED by all. So unfortunetely you will see lots of mixed views is that because peple like to start their own side to things.

SIkhi is meant to be simple.. we had 10 gurus .. each of them had their own things to say, of which the first 5 and 9th, sacred scriptures are composed in the guru granth sahib ji, which we believe to be an actual person (rather than just a 'book') and to be the 11th and final guru!

After our last guru past away in 1708 (guru gobind singh), he said to everyone 'guru maneyo granth' .. which means your next guru is sri guru granth sahib ji.

In 1699 .. like a singh mentionedbefore .. guru gobind singh ji arranged a initiation ceremony of the KHALSA (pure ones) like a baptised ceremony .. he asked for heads of 5 people .. those 5 that were destined to stand up and give their head did. Tens of thousands of people estimated to have taken amrit that day. It is required for all sikh to have the 5 K's kanga(comb), kes(full unshorn hair on anypart of ur body),kirpan, kara (iron bracelet), and kacheraa (long breachers).

Women had fought along side as men during the touch times in india of mughal empire invasions. They can do anything a man is entitled to do, as they are equal to a man.

For your question .. if you can convert..

Anyone can convert into sikhism. I encourage you to learn more about your religion as well though .. as christianity is a beautiful religion itself you just gotta dig further. But if you dont find what your looking for in there, i would then suggest do some more research in sikhism and if sikhi is the best for you then go for it. Amrit is something that is a bond for the rest of your life, so only if your 200% sure you wont break your sikhi routine, then gofor it.

The path is straight but their are many obstacles in the way that we must try to avoid and not get trapped in. Rest is upto you and how strong you are as a person :lol:

Vaheguroooo pray.gif

So, women do everything but the turban?

Kesh, Kirpan, Kara, Kangha, right?

How would a Christian convert to Sikhism? How do you take amrit? Am i even allowed to convert if i'm white or a Christian?

154886[/snapback]

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa. Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh.

women in sikhism also wear Dastars (turbans).

there are many who do.

and many who dont.... :cool:

"Saabat Soorat Dastar Sira."

since Gurbaani is for everyone, it clearly states that we should tie a Dastar.

but....no one should be forced....

truth is..i dont understand why girls dont want to wear the Dastar first place...Guru ji gave sikhs an identity...all sikhs! ...no matter what gender..

i know that some girls arent ready for it.....but i dont understand why some girls say that they wont ever wear it...

ITS OUR CROWN! :lol:

i hope that i havent hurt anyone :cool:

peace...

So...a turban is a dastar? And it's optional for women (they could wear a patka instead)?

I think the reason i'm leaving Christianity is because of my family. They believe anyone who hasn't been "saved" and "baptised" in THEIR way is going to hell. I have trouble believing that. If God wanted us to be the same, why would he make us all so different? Shouldn't we celebrate that?

THe issue on dastar is rather contraversial.

The way i see it, there's only 1 rehit, one way of life for all Sikhs. If a man does something, so does his wife. I do something, so does my sister. The rehit does not differ because of who you are.

So...a turban is a dastar? And it's optional for women (they could wear a patka instead)?

I think the reason i'm leaving Christianity is because of my family. They believe anyone who hasn't been "saved" and "baptised" in THEIR way is going to hell. I have trouble believing that. If God wanted us to be the same, why would he make us all so different? Shouldn't we celebrate that?

155720[/snapback]

my post looks long..but its not...hehe...its not boring...or at least i dont think it is :lol: tongue.gif

GurFateh.

well...people say that its optional...but if you look at the facts, you'll see that in Gurbaani (the holly words of the Sikh Gurus) it does not state at any point that a female Sikh has an option to wear a dastar, where a male does not. and it also doesnt say anywhere in Gurbaani that a man has a choice to wear it or not. think of it this way:

a baptized female Sikh is not wearing a Dastar, and someone who doesn't know much about the purpose of Dastars (the meaning behind it) asks her "Why aren't you wearing it?"

and she says "Cuz i don't want to." or maybe some other reason... the learner (which we all are) asks her "So why do guys have to wear it?"

now how is she supposed to respond to that? i would think that she would be stuck...not knowing how to respond.

ya see...

our Gurus made us equal. there is/are (a) reason/reasons for everything our Gurus taught us. i think everyone knows why some girls dont wear it.

...and i dont really want to get into that cuz it may offend someone.

maybe the girls want to look more like other girls......?

maybe theyre not ready for it.

but the truth is...in Sikhism, if a male is asked to something by the Guru, the female should follow. if the female is asked to do something by the Guru, the male should follow.

why dont guys just let down their hair?

sounds funny....but think about it....does it really suit a Sikh?

there are guys out there (non-Sikh) who have hair that goes lower than their ears and they show it.. like i mean they just let it loose.

and thats style for some people. thats why they do it. they like it.

so im guessing ***dont quote me on this please*** im just guessing that the girls who are baptized into Sikhism dont wear the Dastars because maybe they want to stay in style??? :cool:

or maybe they think that someone will make fun of them.

or maybe their parents dont let them.

or maybe they want to so bad...but theyre not strong enough to.

or maybe they cant live without their hair put down....?

or maybe they dont know what the reason behind wearing the Dastar is. (i didnt know the reason. and when i found out that there were reasons, i decided to wear it once i would take Amrit.)

so we have to look far... everyone does things according to their thoughts, their lifestyle, their parents, their beliefs, etc.

If a female is equal to a male in the eyes of God, why does she hold back on doing something like wearing a Dastar when she is baptized into Sikhism?

females fight and fight to get equal rights.

i look at it this way:

if we, female Sikhs, didnt have the right to read Gurbaani in public (Sangat) wouldn't we be upset and demand to have the right to do so?... i know i would.

now why would we think about opposing one of the freedoms (wearing Dastars) that our Guru jis and Sikhsm offers?

there could be many reasons for a girl choosing not to wear a Dastar.

but the conclusion is that...

whatever the Sikh Gurus said... was for both males and females.

if our Guru jis said that a Sikh should wear a Dastar, then we should all wear it. and of course...there are reasons behind everything the our Guru jis have taught us.

nowhere in Gurbaani does it say "The male Sikhs should wear Dastars."

it always says "Sikh" 'one who has choesn to follow the teachings of the Guru.'

i really didnt want to offend anyone...so if i did, please forgive me. pray.gif

peace...