The Curse Of Casteism Among Sikhs

Guest G.Kaur

Actually, wearing dastaar and 5k's is not the first step... the first step is to find out learn basics of sikhi, remember one step at a time. Wearing dastaar and 5k's and not knowing there' meaning is worse than not wearing it at all, because the individual doenst now it's meaning and it is basicaly just for show. I wore are simple head covering for months before weaing a dastaar, and i only have started wearing 5k's once i knew them. You can't be a gursikh or sikh overnight, it must be taken slowly, not all at once.

actualy u can become 1 over night if mahraj wants u 2

Actually, wearing dastaar and 5k's is not the first step... the first step is to find out learn basics of sikhi, remember one step at a time. Wearing dastaar and 5k's and not knowing there' meaning is worse than not wearing it at all, because the individual doenst now it's meaning and it is basicaly just for show. I wore are simple head covering for months before weaing a dastaar, and i only have started wearing 5k's once i knew them. You can't be a gursikh or sikh overnight, it must be taken slowly, not all at once.

actualy u can become 1 over night if mahraj wants u 2

well it doesnt happen with all people, everyones different, i'm just basing my reasons on expeirence and other peoples experience, but yes, it can happen d_oh.gif

Guest PRITAM SINGH KHALSA

When you stop cutting your hair you are then a Kesdhari. Your 1st form of dastar was when you stopped cutting your hair. {if you really did} and then next step was your cloth/bandana covering.

I already had 8-9 years of not cutting my hair before I was a Sikh. If it wasnt bunga it would be down to my waist at least. I became a Sikh when someone finally gave me my last of the 5Ks {a Kirpan}

So in other words I studied and studied and when I got my 5Ks I was a Sikh overnight. I read banis etcand went to the Gurdwara from day one. My first visit to the Gurdwara was before I even knew about Sikhi, when I was building a structure at the Gurdwara in Stockton,Ca. So I look at it as I was attracted to the Gurdwara by a metaphoric magnet, and was supposed to be a Sikh from that day on, because I already stopped cutting my hair from when I was like 12 or 13.

If you want to go to school you have to have paper and pens/pencils or how can you write down or learn things in class? How would you do the classwork and homework without the tools you need?

When you stop cutting your hair you are then a Kesdhari. Your 1st form of dastar was when you stopped cutting your hair. {if you really did} and then next step was your cloth/bandana covering.

I already had 8-9 years of not cutting my hair before I was a Sikh. If it wasnt bunga it would be down to my waist at least. I became a Sikh when someone finally gave me my last of the 5Ks {a Kirpan}

So in other words I studied and studied and when I got my 5Ks I was a Sikh overnight. I read banis etcand went to the Gurdwara from day one. My first visit to the Gurdwara was before I even knew about Sikhi, when I was building a structure at the Gurdwara in Stockton,Ca. So I look at it as I was attracted to the Gurdwara by a metaphoric magnet, and was supposed to be a Sikh from that day on, because I already stopped cutting my hair from when I was like 12 or 13.

If you want to go to school you have to have paper and pens/pencils or how can you write down or learn things in class? How would you do the classwork and homework without the tools you need?

well i stop cutting my hair the first day, however i don't have any fatial hair, my "people" don't grow alot of facial hair anyways. But i started wearing simple head scarf or bandana, and only recently started wearing dastaar ( i created my own style tongue.gif ).

anyways, i have been told on many occasions that your 5k's and your outward appearance is just for show if you don't have any spiritual substance. :|

GuruFateh!

Bottom line is that this topic was created to discuss caste as a problem within Sikhi and not to discuss that everyone should be keeping a kesh etc. We need to address the problem of caste rather than drifing off the subject and discussing kesh etc. I habe seen plenty of 'Sikh's' who outwardly follow kesh, 5 k's etc but drink, smoke and believe in caste.

So I don't think that necesarrily keeping kesh will put a stop to this problem. To address the problem, I feel that Sikh's should be educated in bani and how Gurbani states that this caste bsiness is wrong. I think that my own experience with Sikhs with kesh believing in caste is justification for my statement.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh!

Guest PRITAM SINGH KHALSA

"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""well i stop cutting my hair the first day, however i don't have any fatial hair, my "people" don't grow alot of facial hair anyways. But i started wearing simple head scarf or bandana, and only recently started wearing dastaar ( i created my own style )."""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""''

""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""anyways, i have been told on many occasions that your 5k's and your outward appearance is just for show if you don't have any spiritual substance."""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

You say "my people" as if your caste is that group as if "your people" are better than the rest.

You did not create your own style turban.

5ks are just a part of your outward apperance so to you they have no spiritual substance? right, from what you say? If someone dressed like a gothic wearing black in everyway. Black lipstick, black dyed hair etc means that the outward appearances dont reflect how they are in the inside?

You are and live the music you listen to. If you listen to rap, you most likely talk and act that way. Which means eventually youll start to look like and reflect how you are in the inside.

You cant pick and choose what you want to be on the outside appearance statement etc.

• 4 weeks later...

pray.gif WJKK WJKF

since sihki is all about equality ,there are some people who dont want to be equal; so they make divisions between people which is the caste system. The truth is those people who do this want to feel better than other people to make themselves feel better about themselves.

People who deny caste are humble and down to earth. God bless them.

WJKK WJKF pray.gif

You say "my people" as if your caste is that group as if "your people" are better than the rest.

How else should i have said it? it's true... study first nations (cree) people and you can get your answers their. I'm not better than anyone else, when did i say that?

You did not create your own style turban.

Who said i did? i just modded it... mine looks like a bee hive right now :D Lighten up PSK

5ks are just a part of your outward apperance so to you they have no spiritual substance? right, from what you say? If someone dressed like a gothic wearing black in everyway. Black lipstick, black dyed hair etc means that the outward appearances dont reflect how they are in the inside?

Not really.. everyone thinks they are into demonic stufff, when really, some are like that, and some are not even close to that description. Believe me, used to one of them, i was into that devil stuff :@ What i meant is some people just dress up to look different or try to fit in. It does happen, and it's often difficult to tell from the outside - you have to ask questions and observe their actions to get a true understandings. one reason why i don't wear all 5k's up till now, was that i didnt know their meaning and didnt have the knowledge to wear them. Remember - it's worse to have someone dress up then someone who doesnt wear them at all, because he person doesnt know why wearing it. :@

You are and live the music you listen to. If you listen to rap, you most likely talk and act that way. Which means eventually youll start to look like and reflect how you are in the inside.

You cant pick and choose what you want to be on the outside appearance statement etc.

Yes you can pick and choose... but are all rappers black? are all sikhs punjabi? are all chinese speak chinese? The outside appearance can be very devieving, and one can't judge from the outside all the time.