Sarbans Daniya Ve...

WAHEGURU JI KA KHALSA WAHEGURU JI KI FATEH

I was watching alpha punjabi and i saw this Gurdas Mann's song:

'sarbans daniya ve...' lol cant memba the rest... but i know its got summet to do wiv Sikhi coz i heard the song referring to Sikhi and i saw Guru Ji's pics... but im really interested in knowing what it was talking about.

Does anyone know?

WAHEGURU JI KA KHALSA WAHEGURU JI KI FATEH

Waheguru Jee Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Jee Kee Fateh

The song is called Sarbans Daaniyaan Ve. You can download it here: Sarbans Daaniyaan Ve

It's very patriotic. In summary, it first tells the sakhi of Guru Tegh Bahadur Jee's sacrifice, and then tells the sakhi of the Panj Piyaarey. Gurdas Mann has sung this song as a tribute to our 10th Guru.

To be honest, I'm not sure what the whole song means, but I'll give it a shot. My punjabi is not the best so pleeeease correct me if i'm wrong.....please….and bhul chuk maaf in advance. :lol:

The main line goes "Sarbans Daaniyaan Ve, deyraan kaun dhehouga tera?" It's a question, which literally translated means, "Oh Great Sacrificer for Truth, who will sacrifice to you?" Kaun Dhegouga? The Great Sacrificer of Truth is referred to Sri Guru Gobind Singh Jee.

The first verse talks about Guru Ji's four sons, the fifth family member being his mother, the sixth his father........then I have no idea what he says after that blush.gif

The second verse describes the story of the Kashmiri Pandits. When they came to Anandpur Sahib to seek the help of Guru Tegh Bahadur Jee, the pandits told the Guru that Aurangzeb was threathening them. That Aurangzeb was telling them, "Either convert to the Muslim religion, or one of you must give me your head."

The third verse confuses me. I'm not sure if its a sakhi. Literally, it means "Guru Jee says to the panth.....[don't know this part blush.gif ]...... "Is there someone from the sangat who is listening to this request? Someone royal is requiring a sacrifice from one of us. Then Guru Jee asks, 'Who is braver than anyone else here?'"

The fourth verse is the easiest to understand. It is the sakhi of the panj pyaarai. It says, "One new day of Vaisakhi came. In a tent, Guru Jee said this to everyone: 'I need a head, my sword is very thirsty!' The Panj Pyaarai were then handsomely dressed (saaj gai).

The fifth verse is the conclusion, and it's easy to understand because it's very patriotic. It says, "Even if they die, Guru di Sikhi is very sacred. A Sikh can lose his head, but he will still be called a Sardar. I am not in love with the Sikh, I am first in love with the Sikh’s rehit. I look at the world, ‘Bakharaa Sikh desooga mera’. <----not sure what that very last line means… grin.gif

I hope that helps.

Again, I know my punjabi is brutal so please correct me if I’m wrong…. blush.gif

Bhul chuk maaf d_oh.gif

Waheguru Jee Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Jee Ke Fateh

http://www.sikhsangat.com/index.php?showtopic=17214&hl=

check this out for the english translation.

but from that link the only part I would change is:

paanaa mitta lag thayraa.....................Tere Bhanna Meeta Lagge

denaaa kon dehu ga thayraa................How can we ever repay you

Instead of 'How can we ever repay you' i would rather translate as 'Who can ever repay you?'.

The first suggests a possiblity and the second suggests it may just be impossible.