Have You Guys Seen This Article

I'm so shocked Toronto Star would publish something like this without doing some research. This is total nonsense.

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentSe...id=970599119419

Kirpan potentially dangerous weapon

Mar. 4, 2006. 01:00 AM

Religious freedom at stake, justices say

March 3.

I was disappointed with the Supreme Court ruling on the kirpan case. My mother is Sikh, but no one in my extended family considers it an obligation to carry the kirpan.

Orthodox Sikhs have misinterpreted the Holy Scriptures as they do not literally call for the wearing of a dagger. The kirpan is rather a symbolic item, refering to a Sikh's obligation to honour and courage, which he must carry in his heart at all times.

The kirpan is a potentially dangerous weapon that is not infrequently used in fights (usually between Sikhs) and is also used by men to threaten their wives during arguments.

The Sikh community must focus on real issues, such as rising religious fanaticism and the oppression of women, rather than on bogeys that a small group of fundamentalists create.

My grandparents left the Punjab with my mother nearly 40 years ago for a better life in Canada. They left a great deal behind, including customs that have no role in a modern progressive society.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someoneask 'barry kumar' why the last sikh guru asked his fellow singhs n singnias to carry the 5 kakkars, one of them being the kipaan, with them at all times.

kirpaan has a practical use as well as a symbolic meaning.

anyone with basic knowledge of the sikh religion knows dat.

barry kumar needs to study sikhi.

Is barry kumar sure his mom is a sikh????? or a hindu????