Beginner's Bani?

Mandi

Hi

I'm a newbie on this site.

Ever since starting uni life's become so busy (i'm doing a 9-5 mon-fri course and commuting which takes up 4 hrs) and so I haven't been actively reciting any Bani although I try and listen to Japji sahib / Mool mantar / Shabads on my I-pod while I'm commuting.

I'd really like to start off by reciting at least one Bani everyday..which one would you recommend I begin with?

i would personally suggest chopei saahib.

you appear to be going through a large load of work on a daily basis, and this can lead to stress and general discomfrot... Chopei Saahib is essentially asking Guruji to grant you protection from all these things, and it would be beneficial.

Personally, i've mentioned this before, but anand saahib (40 pauris) is like the wickedest baani in my mind....i mean..heh...they're all good, but anand saahib always touches me, everytime... but it is long, and i assume you'd wish to memorize it, unless you can give proper respect to a gutka if you wish to carry it around all day every day.

fateh ji

i started with kirtan sohila, everynite before going to bed and thers never any distraction or anything which makes you miss it becos its that last thing you do everyday.

then anand sahib and then japji sahib.

but all equally important, at the gurudwara they say that u shud start with japji, even if it is only one pauri

Owe, it's difficult, they're all good! *grins*

Japmans Ji, can you please explain what it is to give a gutka proper respect? A few months ago I purchased a CD set by Dya Singh that is a plastic case with two CDs in it (morning and evening, containing banis from Japji Sahib to Kirtan Sohila and a track of naam simran), and it came with a "sunder gutka" in the middle of the case, wrapped in red velvet with Ik Onkar embroided into the front. When I'm reading it I treat it gently and hold it as I would a precious book, like not bending the pages or placing it down flat at the page that I'm up to. Oh and with my head covered. But is there anything special that I'm supposed to do with it?

And also... I believe you have a title to defend *points to Seconds of Madness in the Arcade*... tongue.gif

Thanks,

Ishna.

hahahahahaha :lol: we'll see if i can do it.. i don't believ ei was the holder of that record though at any point.

but i guess... i would say you are treating it with proper respect.. to me, you jus give it the utmost satkaar...and that's to whatever length you feel you should go, in my opinion.

I started with JapJi Sahib.

When I was a teenager, my parents made me read Japji Sahib from a gutka and have a CD in tha background, so I listened with my ears and read with my eyes. I did this this every day without fail (parents always made sure I did).

anyhoo, one day, sitting on the bus, I started doing JapJi Sahib without realising it. I got as far as about 9 pauris before I realised what I was doing, and then managed to complete it.

Whatever you do, try and listen and read at the same time. It's a lot easier.

Thanks for all the advice...it was very helpful.

I used to do Kirtan Sihilaa years a go and i almost know it off by heart. So i've restarted doing Sohilaa and i'm going to do at least 1 pauri of Japji Sahib every morning too. My mum always told me that you should either recite a whole Bani or don't start it at all..i take it that that's not true?

Thank's for the suggestion of Chaupai Sahib (Japmans)..I've listened to Chaupai Sahib. I need to first get it's english translation and then i'll try reciting it.

GURFATEH!

i can see what japmans is saying about anand sahib, as soooo much can jus be learnt from it, and it sort of brings you back down to reality.. but id personally recommend you start wid japji sahib. jus try reading it 1ce a day. to start it will take you about 30mns to read. but ul find after a week of continuous reading each day you'l be able to complete it with in jus over 10 minutes, n then even quicker the more you read (not sayin its good to read bani quik, jus referring to you'l flow alot better with it and become familiar with it). i found anand sahib the difficultest (if there is such word) to read fluently, and found japji sahib very simple and easy to get rhythem. and in no time if you keep it up you'l know most of it off by heart! i found alot of dasmi patshai's bani more difficult... so to conclude (lol) id strongly recommend you read japji sahib as it is the essential basis of sikhi n then progress with your gurbani from there..