Baba Buddah Ji

Waheguroo jee ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo jee kee Fateh!

If I remember, Guru Nanak found him when he was a young boy, and asked him a question (can't remember what it was). He gave a really amazing answer, so Guru Nanak said that he was as wise as an old man (Budda) so named him Baba Budda jee.

Waheguroo jee ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo jee kee Fateh!

The Sakhis (true stories) as recorded in different history books bring out that when Baba Buddha Ji came in touch with Guru Nanak Sahib, he was just a young child of about nine years. In the first chance meeting in a field or a pasture where he was grazing his animals, he asked several spiritual questions regarding life and death old age etc. Seeing his insight, curisities and queries, Baba Nanak Sahib said that although 'you are a young child, but by your wordsand behaviour you appear to be a Buddha person.

From thence onwards he hecame to be known as Baba Buddha. And this prophecy of Guru Nanak actually came to be true as he lived a life of 125 years, bestowed Guru Gaddi upon five subsequent Gurus starting from Guru Angad Sahib to Guru Har Gobind Sahib. He was the first Granthi of Sri Harmandir Sahib and was also instrumental in the birth of Guru Hargobind Sahib, the son of Guru Arjan Dev Sahib. He is universally recognised as 'Braham Gyani'.

JAGJIT SINGH

Wow that last one's a lot different to the story I heard:

Baba Budda Ji was a child. Guru Nanak was having a discussion with some people. Baba Budda Ji came and listened. They (not sure who) said, "why are you here? You are a child. you should be playing like other children?". Baba Budda Ji replied something along the lines of "I watched a fire burning and I noticed that the little twigs burned more quickly than the bigger ones".

Either way, he was given that name for the insight and wisdom of an old person, though he was just a child.