Can U..........?

some singh

Guest A Singh.

"some singh" Veer Ji, in your display picture, is a picture of Baba Takhur Singh Ji. Do you think Baba Ji would ever have worn a Patka in his younger days when he did sports? Would any of the Gurus (many of whom were active advocates of sports) replace their Dastar with a Patka?

If you do not think a Damala is stable for sports then most likely you do not know how to tie it properly. A Damala does not have to be a foot tall. It can be small and tight, with a firm Bunga tied which keeps it extremely secure.

This does not need to generate into a Keski-Kakkar debate. The simple fact is that Khalsa Saroop is with Kachera, Kara, Kangha, Kirpan, and the hair tied as a topknot on the top of the head, with a turban covering it. The turban is the crown of a Sikh and cannot be substituted for a patka.

Many people here are accusing others of being "fanatic". When people are ready to remove their Dastar for recreational activities, I sometimes wonder how strict the modern Youth are with their Amritvela, and Amritvela Simran. Maybe some would also see it as "fanatic" to say Amritvela Simran is compulsory for all Amritdharis.

Claiming that to be Tyaar-Bar-Tyaar requires a conical style Dastar, Chakkar and Kamarkasa as compulsory is most certainly incorrect as many Puratan paintings and pictures depict Singhs without these things. Whereas, every picture depicts Singhs in Dastar of some kind, whether they are at home, or going into war.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i cant believe how quick people are willing to compramise their sikhi man! did mahraj give us a patka? did mahraj say to the singhs ur going to war, so bcuz your bhag mite cum off wear a patka? dnt do activities that involve you having to remove your dastaar! its your crown so should be on ALL the time! whether you see it as a kakkar or not! if you afraid of it coming off then tie it properly and securly!! i play football many times a week, do gatkha, kung fu and have taken part in many sports events and not once has my bhag come off!! stop always jus lukin 4 a easy way out! respect such an important gift given to you instead of trying to compramise it!

resepct to jaspaul singhs opost

agree 100 percent

honestly guy

dont forget the whole point o sikhi and us bein here and the whole goal

of everythin

jin PREM keeo thin hee prabh paeeo

remeber, bhagath fareed je, bhagath kabir je, many others did not wear full bana, etc.

they were brahm gianis

guru je has given us dastaar

great

wear it wit pride, its from out guru

but if u need to do something wear u cant wear dastar, and beadbi of dastaawr cud happen, u SHUD always wear something tha wont come off

and to say sikhi comes first and whoever wears the commando patka, patka, w/e is breakin reight is wrong

maybe tha person don belive keski is kakaar

so to forc opinions on them is wrong

keski does not have to be on all the time, unless u belive its a kakaar

for people playin sports

best to wear patka

if u wanna wear keski, thas ure choice, gud for u

but dunt tell others inot to do it

bhula chuka maf

i cant believe how quick people are willing to compramise their sikhi man! did mahraj give us a patka? did mahraj say to the singhs ur going to war, so bcuz your bhag mite cum off wear a patka? dnt do activities that involve you having to remove your dastaar! its your crown so should be on ALL the time! whether you see it as a kakkar or not! if you afraid of it coming off then tie it properly and securly!! i play football many times a week, do gatkha, kung fu and have taken part in many sports events and not once has my bhag come off!! stop always jus lukin 4 a easy way out! respect such an important gift given to you instead of trying to compramise it!

155784[/snapback]

I dont see a problem in wearing a patka here. and i dont think anyone compromises sikhi by wearing one. why make this an issue? if i were to ask u now do u wear bana 24/7 to work or school? or do u wear suit pants n all dat. so now are u compromising sikhi too? i could go on but no need to start more arguments. we should work towards being united. Bro, lets be practical about certain things so long as sikhi is not compromised in any way. i am truly sorry if i offended anyone by what i have said.

Bhul Chuk Maaf ji...

I took my sports very seriously, playing a number of different sports and always had a smaller dastar. I would have to implement ways of tying it so it would not budge, but was able to do this and play hard. Often I would tie a few laars then tie a 'fiftee' part way through and then tie the remaining laars over it. The dastar was not moving this way.

Don't want to make assumptions about others playing sports, but anyone over 12 years of age who can avoid a patka, do so. It's just personal opinion but the commando style thing is wacko.gif

Wasn't sure what to do with swimming, tried patka but didn't feel right, so actually had improvised a very very minimal dastar/keski wrapped around to just give it the semblance of substance. Felt much better, but never became a great swimmer, so now I walk most places.

I don't know the personal circumstances of anyone here so don't have any commentary about that. However, too many young Sikhs have an uneasiness about the dastar and make up for it with the "commando" look.

Most young males, sikh or not, are hyperconscious about their appearance and always worry about lacking testosterone. Unfortunately for some Sikhs it plays out in interesting statements ie. COMMANDO! wacko.gif .

For sports, my dastar is small, but I try to go as large and prominent as possible depending on the sport. NEVER EVER SHY AWAY FROM BEING YOURSELF!

• 2 months later...
Guest Glasgow Singh

sorry to bring up a contorversial topic again, but what about the wearing of helmets etc? Or does it depend on what you are wearing the helmet for,. bit embarassed about asking, please forgive my total lack of knowledge..