Am I Sikh?

Guest guest

Guest guest

I've started to really get into sikhi, i'm doing bani and go to the gurdwara regularly. I love the religion however i doubt i'll ever take amrit. Even though i know it would change my life around for the better i'm not yet strong enough to go ito work wearing a dastaar, i can't bare the thought of me with facial hair etc (im a female by the way).

Am i a sikh?

i don't think any of us have the ability to juge or label you as a Sikh or not... by readin bani, Guru Jee tells us what a Sikh is... but, by the mere action of you askin the sangat whether or not you are, means that u are in doubt of whether u are...

also check out these shabads...

Shabad 1

Shabad 2

and listen to this katha by Bhai Parminder Singh on "Definition of a Sikh"

Bhai Parminder Singh - Definition of a Sikh

they mite give you a better idea of what a Sikh is...

from my personal point of view... a Sikh is sum1 who has either already taken amrit, or is on the Path to Sikhi (i.e.... keeps rehit.. reads bani... follows all the 'rules' etc... but hasn't taken the final step of takin amrit........

P..S... Amrit is NOT the last step in Sikhi... its probably one of the first few steps!)

Guest Guest

As per Bani in Bhai Gurdas, Varan, one is Sikh of the Guru once they have taken Amrit (and of course follow Rehat).

My advice to you is to begin waking up at Amritvela, reading more Banis (morning Nitnem, Rehras in the evening and Sohila before sleep), and keeping Sangat of Gursikh Bibian so you become less paranoid about your personal apperance to others and begin to appreciate the importance and power of Amrit. Without Amrit and Naam (which is given during the Amrit ceremony), Mukti/liberation is not possible for a Sikh.

Do not worry about definitions and whether you are Sikh or not. Worry about your relation with Guru Sahib and how you can break down your ego so you can offer your head to Him.

penj u need the sangat. once u get that you wont b able 2 stop your self from goin all the way. i know soo many bibiya that feel the same as you currently do, but after being in the sangat their whole life becomes changed. try attending camps. if u live in the uk i strongly recommend you come to boss camp, or khalsa camp. im not saying come to become converted or something, but just watch your pyar jus grow! you wont b able to see any way but sikhi, n wont want nothing but sikhi!! n i advise you to read some books... gursikh legacy a realy good 1 to learn about our Gurus n some of their greatness... or any of bhai sahib bhai randheer singh ji, or bhai sahib bhai rama singh ji's books.

penj u need the sangat. once u get that you wont b able 2 stop your self from goin all the way. i know soo many bibiya that feel the same as you currently do, but after being in the sangat their whole life becomes changed. try attending camps. if u live in the uk i strongly recommend you come to boss camp, or khalsa camp. im not saying come to become converted or something, but just watch your pyar jus grow! you wont b able to see any way but sikhi, n wont want nothing but sikhi!! n i advise you to read some books... gursikh legacy a realy good 1 to learn about our Gurus n some of their greatness... or any of bhai sahib bhai randheer singh ji, or bhai sahib bhai rama singh ji's books.

155779[/snapback]

donn even get me started about bosss camp!!!

if nething goin gthere after i took amrit nearly made me feel like i was the most unloved sikh in the whole world and doubt my amrit so much because no one even gave a single moment to me or clear my quesitions.

after the experience i forgot it, learned from it and then grew in my sikhi...to this self condfident daughter of Guru Sahib.>>.so in....conlcuision...It did help with much discomfort :TH:

Guest guest

penj u need the sangat. once u get that you wont b able 2 stop your self from goin all the way. i know soo many bibiya that feel the same as you currently do, but after being in the sangat their whole life becomes changed.

Yes i do live in the Uk. I go to the gurdwara every sunday and there must be around 400 people in the sangat on a sunday. Out of them only about 15 are amritdhari (mainly the gianis). In fact I haven't come across an amritdhari bibi who is younger than 35 at my gurdwara.. so no i don't know if the sangat is going to help.

I'm not trying to disrespect the gurdwara..but the more sangat there is the less i can concentrate on the bani/kirtan. All you can hear is ladies behind you doing chugliya or discussing suits etc and young girls discussing/checking out boys. Therefore I actually prefer going to the gurdwara when theres hardly anyone there.

Guest Guest

155779[/snapback]

donn even get me started about bosss camp!!!

if nething goin gthere after i took amrit nearly made me feel like i was the most unloved sikh in the whole world and doubt my amrit so much because no one even gave a single moment to me or clear my quesitions.

after the experience i forgot it, learned from it and then grew in my sikhi...to this self condfident daughter of Guru Sahib.>>.so in....conlcuision...It did help with much discomfort :TH:

155816[/snapback]

ahhhhh penji come to SIKHSTUDENT CAMP!!!!!!!

piaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar all the wayyyyyyy! Akaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaal :lol: