Shaster Vidiya in BC

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

To All Sangat in BC, the Guru Nanek Academy is now teaching Shaster Vidiya. As per friday we have a new teacher who has come to us by the graces of guroo sahib, for the sould purpose of to teach Shaster Vidiya. We have had two classes so far(saturday and sunday) which i must say have been AMAZING! Not only is he teaching us Shaster Vidiya, but also the history behind everything which we learn.So i encourage ALL sangat in Surrey and surronding areas to come and learn, u will not regret it, this i garuntee!

daas n daas

bhul chuk maaf

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

Gur Fateh!

Is this really Shaster Vidiya or rasmi-Gatka-Khell?

PLEASE NOTE; I ask this for factual reasons and not for any vindictive purpose...there is a difference between the two and most gatka classes fall into the latter camp.

I'm not saying that this is wrong or that is right, simply that let's acknowledge the actual art in question -Gatka that is predominantly taught in most Sikh circles is mostly Rasmi/Khell Gatka, which is fine as an art form, but to start calling it Shaster Vidiya is a fallacy as it certainly is more of a sporting nature than a fully comprehensive battle art -BUT that doesn't make it wrong (it's like comparing Karate and Kick Boxing, which are very sporting with Wing Chun or Kali, which are far more combat orientated -all valid styles and all great, but different applications, let's not start slating each others styles and remain honest).

To expand on the closing comments, I have a background in Gung-Fu, however increasingly need to consider elements from grappling and brazlian jujitsu as whilst the Gung-Fu works great, there are situations that it breaks down given my smaller size and build (i.e. when hitting the deck or when faced with a weapon)...doesn't make Gung-Fu wrong (as it works in other situations where alternatuve styles break down)...it's about being realistic -I wouldn't begin calling myself a Gung-Fu artist after studying kick boxing, no matter how good a kick boxer I was...why call Gatka (which is a great art, however like anything as it's areas of application and others where it breaks down) Shaster Vidiya, when the two are quite distinct?

I do not wish to discuss Ni

ddar Singh or AKJ or Taksal or whatever...this is a question about the martial art only not the personalities, groups or institutions, let's stick with the martial arts -whatever your discipline, let's talk about it, share ideas and also training tips -personally, I feel that every style has something positive to offer, if you're up for it here are some topics that would be great to share:-.

-What style do you train in and how has it worked for you

-What ancilliary training do you do (cardio, strength, flexbility -weights, yoga, swimming?)

-What diet/nutritional advice do you follow

-What magazine/articles/websites do you recommend for research

-Do you cross train? If so, anyone up for training with a Wing Chun/Kali practitioneer?!

I feel it's important to share these ideas with other Sikhs, since the Amrit-Vela lifestyle combined with prehaps a vegetarian or vegan diet does require some working around to combine a decent amount of training especially when you're working longhours with your job etc etc...hope to hear from you...

Forgive any foolishness in the foregoing.

-forever the Charandhoor of the Sadh Sangat-

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

if ur charandhoor of sangat im chardhoor of urs man.

u have hit the nail on mathaa wink2.gif i allways think we play gatka its a must and we should but the kartab we do like do kirpan ghumana then many we do its good for practise but is that this all will be essintial when we go to jung beacuse in jung there is only 2 waar "MAARO TE BACHAO" and u should have a very very very very good energy so all gatka khiladi u should learn gatak but main concentrate on 2 waar wch daas said and make up ur energy guys and singhnee u have to

ps----i have become too motaa :nihungsmile:

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

if ur charandhoor of sangat im chardhoor of urs man.

u have hit the nail on mathaa wink2.gif i allways think we play gatka its a must and we should but the kartab we do like do kirpan ghumana then many we do its good for practise but is that this all will be essintial when we go to jung beacuse in jung there is only 2 waar "MAARO TE BACHAO" and u should have a very very very very good energy so all gatka khiladi u should learn gatak but main concentrate on 2 waar wch daas said and make up ur energy guys and singhnee u have to

ps----i have become too motaa :nihungsmile:

GUR FATEH!

Bhai Sahib, please refrain from showering me with overbearing compliments (re:

if ur charandhoor of sangat im chardhoor of urs man.)

The Sangat is far above any individual and especially above me -I appreciate your honest and kind response, however I ask

that such high compliments be reserved for those deserving (i.e. Guru Maharaj)

[NOTE: I'm not wishing to sound bad here, however statement like this are bound to give me a big head!!! -not needed, it's already big enough and that's not a particularly good thing! LOL!]

Hey, you're not the only one becoming too motaa (LOL)...me too!...We need to resolve this, it's too bad that Singhs are so motae these days! Back in Maharaj's time, Guru Ji is said to have awarded those in his Army (i.e. not just Nihangs, but all Sikhs and others too) who could perform the most 'Dands' and 'Bethaks' -there is (although nowadays, highly unknown to most sikhs) a complete system of physical and mental conditioning that Gurdev Pita gave to the sikhs...in the absence of enough knowledge on my part, again I'd be grateful if we could share our thoughts on the points I mentioned earlier, namely:-

-What style do you train in and how has it worked for you

-What ancilliary training do you do (cardio, strength, flexbility -weights, yoga, swimming?)

-What diet/nutritional advice do you follow

-What magazine/articles/websites do you recommend for research

-Do you cross train? If so, anyone up for training with a Wing Chun/Kali practitioneer?!

I feel it's important to share these ideas with other Sikhs, since the Amrit-Vela lifestyle combined with prehaps a vegetarian or vegan diet does require some working around to combine a decent amount of training especially when you're working longhours with your job etc etc...hope to hear from you...

...and finally on the Motaa business again, and apologies if this offends people, but there are 'stories' I've heard of Singhs in the Dal during the 18th century when washing their hair in the nearby rivers to their encampments would regularly result in many local women struck with awe at the slight of their literally 'mean and lean' physiques and their Kesh as

they dried them...not only women, the same is also true of Bhai Nand Lal when seeing Gurdev Pita drying his kesh in the morning following his nishan -the inspiration to his beautiful Ghazal "Deen Duniya Darkamande Aap He..."

...shame that over the past 100 years most Singhs are quite content to simply eat loads of paranthas with ample Desi Ghee and in the case of our Gyanis spend the day eating prashad and carrying around the resultant spare tyre in their belly (!) and of course the 'Sikh-Allopecia' resulting from the insistence to keep our kesh tied up tightly in a dastaar 24-7...guys and gals, you need to air your hair a little...Guru Roop is beautiful...let's maintain it and keep it that way!

Again, please forgive any foolish commments in the foregoing,

-forever at the feet of the Sadh Sangat-