5 Kakars Questions

Lionchild

5 Kakars Questions

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa,

Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh!

Today I was at a sikhi related site (allaboutsikhs.com) and I read that the 5 Kakars being the Kara, kirpan, kachara, kangha and Kesh should be worn and maintained at all times. The website mentioned that our 5 k’s "must not depart our body." The problem is how do you keep some of these Kakars clean and tidy in certain events and situations.

I have very specific questions in mind, and I’m sure that a few of us need a re-freshener, so I would like to ask the following…

1) How do you keep kirpan, kangha, Kesh (and head covering?) clean and dry during a shower? I have shower every morning, and this is important.

2) When going to bathroom and other sometimes, unclean areas, how do you protect your k’s?

3) when sleeping, how do you keep 5 k’s on during sleeping (I have tendency to move in my sleep tongue.gif )?

Other question I had regarding our articles of dedication is the kirpan – I read that it is used for defending other sikh and other people (I already knew this BTW), however when I looked at my kirpan, it was not sharp! How can I defend anyone when my sword is dull and not even really big enough? Just a thought, anyone else have this question?

-Bindy Bains

kirpan, usually people tie around there dastaar, but i jus wear another kirpaan, one i wear only in shower, a normal kirpan

and i oput on my regular kirpan after

kanga, tie it to ure kirpan or keep in ure head, caus i do keshi ishnaan daily i tie it to my kirpan

kesh r gonn b washed most likley

if not, keep in a little keski i guess

in the washrrom u shudnt have any problems keepin em clean

and they shudnbt bother u when u sleep, i move ALOT and i never have problems

i just move my kirpan wit me when i sleepion

and jus tie a small keski when u sleepin

bhula chuka maf

• 2 months later...

That it works, and has been working for Sikhs for a few hundred years.

(Most) Sikhs bath daily.

(Most) Sikhs regularily wash their hair.

(Most) Sikhs have been able to reproduce and keep themself hygienic.

All you need to tell thme is that Sikhs need to adjust themselves a bit.. but it works.. has worked.. and will work :@

veer ji,

With regards to your kirpan question and how it is blunt..i to have pondered over this but my doubts were cleared when i heard of 2 gursikhs that when you reach a certain spiritual state you unlock alot of power from your kirpan 1 of these power was immense bir raas....other powers were not specifically mentioned so i cannot confirm this, the two gursikhs were a) giani thakur singh b) a certain singh on tapoban forums who always makes very inspiring posts. :e:

this is how I do it:

For Regular Shower: tie my kirpaan around my dastaar... doesn't really get wet, maybe a few drops here and there... ur kanga should be in ur hair anywayz... ur head should alwayz be covered (unless ur taking a kesi ishnaan)

For Kesi Ishnaan: I wear my smaller kirpaan on a gatra around my body.. i attach my kanga to the gatra... once i'm done showering, i put my big one back in (i don't shower with the big one 'cause it rusts in the water)... then i take the small out outta the sheath and dry it so it doesn't rust either...

Sleep: i move around a lot too; kirpaan u keep it on u as regular.. while i'm sleeping if my small dastaar comes off, then when i wake up in the middle of the night i just retie it...

you can get ur kirpaan sharpened, or you can buy a bigger one... there's a satnam trust in BC... if you don't live close to there then I can ship you one... then one that I have is 9"... if u wnat a bigger one (i.e. 11", 13" or bigger") I can get it shipped to you...

ne other questions?...