Opinions?

Dear all,

I confused and shocked and bemused, dumbstruck  and just plain numbed.

I don’t know what to think or say, harmless fun or what ?

Its kind of wrong isn’t it?

I mean when I see a girl with a daster I have so much love and respect for her for taking the path of  the guru’s.

For them dancing around like that ????

Am I a prood , I’m really sorry but my feeling’s on this are…

Its wrong and they should not be doing this..

I can’t explain why its just because I hold them in such  high esteem.

Some one help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ohmy.gif   :@ @  :wub:   wacko.gif

156840[/snapback]

raju,

I have a great deal of respect for anyone who thinks "dancing" is wrong. However, I think such a simple statement can also be misleading. At one definition it is an art or expression with respect to body movements and exercise. I want people to read very carefully so it is not misinterpreted, but gatkha is an art or expression which incorporates body movement and exercise. The point is there are forms of dance which share nothing at all with "popular dancing" except a word. Perhaps similar to where Sikhs share nothing at all with Nirankari “Sikhs”.

I think I first saw someone refer to a similar video on the net many years ago. I also initially found it odd. After that i've seen many references to bhangra classes held by this community of brothers and sisters, so i'm not really surprised.

In punjabi culture we almost consider a woman who wears a dastar to be making a proclamation of priesthood or something. This is an excuse for our own lack of commitment. Even if punjabi culture did not do this, there would still be a cultural aspect to be understood. Although they call it bhangra, I don't see it as bhangra as per “punjabi bhangra”. There is no drinking, no sexism, no idiotic behaviour. There may be lyrics that are objectionable that are not understood by anyone there.

The non-punjabi Sikh community has been sadly shunned by a dimwitted racist punjabi community. I am not sure I agree with all their practices. But they have achieved so much in sikhi inspite of the punjabi community. I wonder a bit about the dancing, but I think they deserve me to reserve judgment as to what this is all about.