New Kirtan Maryada At Harmandir Sahib

rinku_sikh

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Look around for Bhai Balbir SIngh Ji

www.ikirtan.com

Bha Avtar Singh too, does Kritan on the Taus (a string instrument designed by Guru Gobind Singh Ji)

I believe he does Kirtan ion the Taus on sikhifm.com (he also does it on vaja, so I'm not sure)

I think it's mindblowing!

It's really Good that the two important aspects of Kirtan are coming back:

Raag

and String instruments, of which some are DESIGNED AND INVENTED BY OUR OWN GURUS!

:wub:

If you're interested in Tanti Saaj then the UK's first every Tanti Saaj Kirtan Darbar will be taking place on 26th March at Nanaksar Thath Isher Darbar, Wolverhampton featuring:

* Bhai Sarabjit Singh Ji Laddi (Darbar Sahib Wale)

* Bhai Amarjit Singh Ji (Guru Nanak Sikh School)

* Bhai Harjinder Singh Ji Lallie

* Bibi Gurpreet Kaur (Guru Nanak Sikh School)

check out nanaksar.org for further info. Recordings will be made available on the website after the event.

good stuff :wub:

but kurtas...

Maybe soon we will see them allow the use of electric organs, guitars, banjos and eventually Technics sl1200 turntables.

157033[/snapback]

dont get it.. wacko.gif

157049[/snapback]

I was just writing to express how they can allow as many new instruments as they want but when they going to start allowing women to do kirtan ? Will it come to a situation where we have some bloke using technics decks for backing music but still no women allowed to do Kirtan at Harimandir Sahib.

I was just writing to express how they can allow as many new instruments as they want but when they going to start allowing women to do kirtan ? Will it come to a situation where we have some bloke using technics decks for backing music but still no women allowed to do Kirtan at Harimandir Sahib.

157072[/snapback]

Rituals... perhaps they are afraid of something. There is areason behind every decision, even if it's negative.

Sat Sri Akal:

"electric organs"

What...you making fun of my cybernetic spleen now? (I know...someone please press the "corny" button).

The rationale is as simple as it is ridiculous. Because women have never done Kirtan in the Harimandir Sahib (something nobody has really offered unquestionable proof mind you), it is tradition that women cannot do Kirtan at Harimandir Sahib.

Wonder what these people would have said to Mata Sahib Kaur or Bibi Bhag Kaur (aka. Mai Bhago).

Vaheguru ji ka khalsa, Vaheguru ji ki fateh!

I am definitely thrilled about the change in kirtan maryada. I believe this reversion will also change the scope and mindset of sikhi for sikh youth on a global level.

Further, I believe there is a connection between raag and spirituality...though it doesn't take precedence over gurbani by any means, and when I say raag I am not referring to people doing alaaps/theatrics etc...

Regarding the kirtan, I recorded a fair bit, and I tried to put them on google, but the files weren't readable. I will get my friend to put them up soon, he and I are meeting in 5 hours and he'll probably do it within the next 24.

like many, I started off liking non-raag kirtan, but as I am older now and at a different stage in life. I see more benefits and find more peace in kirtan done in raag. (I do not and will not take away from those people who do kirtan from their heart when it is non-raag.)

Art, beauty, culture are all pinnacles of a highly sophisticated culture. When I try to understand the vision of gursikhs and our guru sahiban's. I see the following image.

Akal purakh ji created nature, and made it intricate with cycles and evolvement.

Akal purakh ji created humans, made us intricate and we have cycles which we go through for evolvement.

Akal purakh ji is around us, and when the whole sarbat khalsa is enlightened we will be a highly cultured, non-judgemental, emancipated culture that has a religious place which is a stand against 'corrupt' institutions, a society of people who are naturally philanthropists, a society of people who are highly proficient and cultured in the arts (classical music, singing etc). We will be vessels spreading the fragrance in alll corners of the world, in many ways. Every field will have gurmukh people who will set the stage. The most to least cultured people will see sikhi as a complete system. This life is real, but it isn't permanent. We can't negate what we feel and experience here, because it either goes with us....or we go with it!

with regards to darbar sahib and women doing kirtan, I truly believe there is information that hasn't been unearthed yet. Where guru sahib had women pracharaks in the manji's and not have women do kirtan at darbar sahib shows an inconsistency that has human interpolation involved. I know my stance is ideological, but kirtan at darbar sahib is meant for both women and men.