Covering You Hair.

Guest Shy Bibi

Guest Shy Bibi

Wjkk Wjkf!!

Hey, isn't it true that Guru Ji said to cover your hair at all times. People did back then and some people still do now. But Guru Ji didn't say your HEAD hair, he just said hair. So I know alot of us have hair on our arms, face, etc. including myself. And also your eyebrows too? Shouldn't we cover that hair too? And if people didn't do that back then, I think that's because people didn't have hair on their arms etc back then. Am I not correct? And if I am wrong, please give reference from the Guru Granth Sahib Jee.

Please forgive me if I have made any mistakes or offended anyone in any way! pray.gif

Wjkk Wjkf!! :wub:

Guest lowest of the low singhni

it doesn't actually say in Guru Granth Saheb for us to cover our hair, so i don't think you'll be getting any references from Gurbani. If Guru Gobind Singh Ji wanted us to cover our eyebrows, which i'm betting people did have "back then", then he probably would have told us to cover them. as it is, He said cover our heads with dastaars. so let's do that.

~l~

i think we have to remember that the dastaar is not just for covering our hair. it has many other purposes. im not sure but sum1 once told me that it also has something to do with our dasam duaar, and thats why we should tie our hair in a joora on the top of our head. could someone please clarify or correct me?

Guest lowest of the low singhni

http://www.tapoban.org/phorum/read.php?f=1...240#reply_64271

there are a few interesting posts in that thread on the topic of the dasam duar/joora/dastaar. here is one opinion:

"Dasam Duaar is attainable only through kirpa of Guru Sahib. Guru Sahib's kirpa will happen only if we obey his hukams and if we don't obey his hukams, we cannot get his kirpa.

If we go by [the] logic that what we do physically does not affect spirituality, then one can argue that there is no need to keep kesh and kakaars since these are physical things.

The reality is that none of Guru Sahib's hukams is without value. All hukams whether spiritual or physical have spiritual consequences and we cannot defy any hukam. Doing jooRa on top of the head and tying a dastaar is a must.

You should not forget that Dasam Duaar is in this physical human body, of which 9 doors are open but the tenth one is gupt. So you cannot say that it is not physical. There must be some physical aspect to it because dasam duaar is attainable only through human body and spirit beings cannot access it."

nwpwk pwku kir hdUir hdIsw swbq sUriq dsqwr isrw ]12]

naapaak paak kar hadhoor hadheesaa saabath soorath dhasathaar siraa ||12||

Purify what is impure, and let the Lord's Presence be your religious tradition. Let your total awareness be the turban on your head. ||12||

from ang 1083, have a read:

http://www.sikhitothemax.com/page.asp?ShabadID=3795

That translation is no good. He translated saabat soorat as "total awareness" which is totally out in left field. No idea where he gets this stuff from. Same with Bhai being translated "sibling of destiny". Bhai means brother. Sibling of destiny is "PC" and sounds very spiritual but it's still just wrong.

The quote used however does refer to a dastaar and shows that Sikhi requires uncut hair (saabat soorat) and a dastaar.

That translation is no good. He translated saabat soorat as "total awareness" which is totally out in left field. No idea where he gets this stuff from. Same with Bhai being translated "sibling of destiny". Bhai means brother. Sibling of destiny is "PC" and sounds very spiritual but it's still just wrong.

The quote used however does refer to a dastaar and shows that Sikhi requires uncut hair (saabat soorat) and a dastaar.