Kirpan?

doctor_mani

Should non-Amritdhari Sikhs have Kirpans?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Should non-Amritdhari Sikhs have Kirpans?

• Yes non-Amritdhari Sikhs should carry a Kipan.
    • Only Amritdhari Sikhs should carry a Kirpan.
    • You can wear a Kirpan if youre a Sikh at any stage.
    • You can wear a Kirpan if you have the other 4K'S.
    • Everone can wear the Kirpan regardless of religion.
    • Not Sure

Should a non-amritdhari carry a Kirpan?

Many times I have thought of this question but I come to no conclusion. I have seen many non-Amritdhari brothers carry a Kirpan. I have asked them the above question and they told me,

'We carry it because it is one of the 5k's and if we can have the other 4k's then why not the Kirpan?.'

This arguement is defonatly solid and holds water but what leeds to my confusion is when I then ask these brothers if they would use the kirpan if need be. The reply I get from these brothers most of the time is that,

'Im not sure Im ready to use the Kirpan yet though as Im not yet an Amritdhari'.

This confuses me because if one is not prepared to use the kirpan in extreme cicumstaces and as a last resort then why carry it? To me whatever we do must serve a purpose and if it does'nt then it is nothing more than a ritual or 'parkand'.

But hey I may not have thought of the way some of you guys think and maybe you might be able to change my mind or strenghthen my current beliefe.

So what does the sangat think about this issue?

I have also included alternative answers to this poll for those of you who may have slightly different views. Please have an input in this poll because it would be interesting to see what the sangat thinks.

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

Doctor_Mani...Dont stress over small issues...anger can put your health at risk and is the primary cause of many diseases. KRODH KILLS!

Doctor_Mani

Sure they can wear the kirpan, along with the other 4 k'z, but do they have the gift of amrit?? Do they possess 'Naam' from Guru Sahib?

Remember, Guru sahib constantly tells us, Naam is the most important, which will carry you across this terrible world ocean!

My two cents.

Sure they can wear the kirpan, along with the other 4 k'z, but do they have the gift of amrit?? Do they possess 'Naam' from Guru Sahib?

Remember, Guru sahib constantly tells us, Naam is the most important, which will carry you across this terrible world ocean!

My two cents.

I agree.

Naam Dhan is the biggest Dhan of all. We beg the Akal Purakh for this gift in our Ardas every day. Without Amrit an individual carrying the 5k's is just void.

As already mentioned in previous posts. The Khalsa are Sant-Siphais. Sant comes before Siphai.

Anyone can look the part, who can genuinely play the part.....

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

I don't really understand the thing about wearing a Kirpan if you keep the other 4 Kakkars. In Rehatnamas in says:

dhharehi kaes paahul binaa bhaekhee moorraa sikh || maeraa dharasan naahi this paapee thiaagae bhikh ||5||

(Those who keep their hair but do not get initiated are faithless sinners. They will never receive my blessing)

How can you go on putting on Kakkars, without taking Amrit? It makes no sense. Thats like me putting on a white coat, carrying a stethoscope, and walking around looking like a doctor. I can decieve people all i want, but inside i know i am not a doctor.

This is disrespect to the Guru. Not following his Hukam, but picking and choosing what you want to do. Either take Amrit and become Khalsa, or stop the disrespect of Khalsa Roop. Like i said....THE KIRPAN IS NOT THAT CHEAP....YOU MUST GIVE YOUR HEAD FOR IT!!!!!!

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

i voted for the one abt that a sikh can wear a kirpan at any stage cos u can only call urself a sikh if you are in accordance with guru sahib jee:

Guru Raam Daas Ji

Raag Gauree

gur siqgur kw jo isKu AKwey su Blky auiT hir nwmu iDAwvY ]gur sathigur kaa jo sikh akhaaeae s bhalakae out(h) har naam dhhiaavai ||

One who calls himself a Sikh of the Guru, the True Guru, shall rise in the early morning hours and meditate on the Lord's Name.

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

i voted for the one abt that a sikh can wear a kirpan at any stage cos u can only call urself a sikh if you are in accordance with guru sahib jee:

Guru Raam Daas Ji

Raag Gauree

gur siqgur kw jo isKu AKwey su Blky auiT hir nwmu iDAwvY ]

gur sathigur kaa jo sikh akhaaeae s bhalakae out(h) har naam dhhiaavai ||

One who calls himself a Sikh of the Guru, the True Guru, shall rise in the early morning hours and meditate on the Lord's Name.

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Yes, Navtej singhs right.

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Guru Raam Daas Ji

Raag Gauree

gur siqgur kw jo isKu AKwey su Blky auiT hir nwmu iDAwvY ]

gur sathigur kaa jo sikh akhaaeae s bhalakae out(h) har naam dhhiaavai ||

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

well said - i agree.

i personally believe that all choices (besides the one abt all sikhs can wear the kirpan regardless of what stage they are at make no sense:

here's another thing that might convince what a sikh is.

those of you walking around claiming to be sikhs (including myself) should read what the khalsa panth's definition of a sikh is:

Sikh Reht Maryada

Section I

CHAPTER 1

The Definition of Sikh :

Article I

Any human being who faithfully believes in

i. One Immortal Being,

ii. Ten Gurus, from Guru Nanak Sahib to Guru Gobind Singh Sahib,

iii. The Guru Granth Sahib,

iv. The utterances and teachings of the ten Gurus and v. the baptism bequeathed by the tenth Guru, and who does not owe allegiance to any other religion, is a Sikh

- therefore a sikh at any stage can wear a kirpan in my opinion.

my source - www.sgpc.net :e:

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!