Bhangra At Nagar Kirtan

Jassika

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NO it shouldn't, this is a religious procession not a bloody wedding!

It is the duty of the Gurdwara Members to make sure that no bhangra dancers make an appearance (or dressed). And then before the procession begins to address the sangat to make sure NOBODY dances!!

Am i right?

Guest lowest of the low singhni

It is the duty of the Gurdwara Members to make sure that no bhangra dancers make an appearance (or dressed).  And then before the procession begins to address the sangat to make sure NOBODY dances!!

Am i right?

159959[/snapback]

yes you're right...no bhangra allowed... that's not gursikhi.

not even at "bloody weddings" .. but that's a different topic.

~l~

It is the duty of the Gurdwara Members to make sure that no bhangra dancers make an appearance (or dressed).  And then before the procession begins to address the sangat to make sure NOBODY dances!!

Am i right?

159959[/snapback]

~l~

159994[/snapback]

Yes a verse ''Nachan Kudan Man Ka Chao,”

“ Dancing and leaping are mind’s yearnings.”

But like you say it's another thread :TH:

This was bound to happen one day!

If you are going to bring dhols and dholkis, what is expected?????????????

Puratan marayda has nagara, not dhols and dholkis. We aren't maraasees. Serious manmat. That looked more like a party dance than nagar kirtan.

What can be done?????????

160023[/snapback]

ohmy.gif he talks sense!

lol

Nah you're right.. dhols were used first and then came the bhangra dancers. Dhal has got nothing to do with Sikhi! Its all CULTURE!!!

This was bound to happen one day!

If you are going to bring dhols and dholkis, what is expected?????????????

Puratan marayda has nagara, not dhols and dholkis. We aren't maraasees. Serious manmat. That looked more like a party dance than nagar kirtan.

What can be done?????????

160023[/snapback]

Oh Khalsa Fauji, as i mentioned it is the duty of the Parbandak. He/she should make sure that it is explained to the sangat well before the procession proceeds And i don't mean mumble a few words, and not just in Punjabi! :wub:

Am i right?

159959[/snapback]

~l~

159994[/snapback]

Yes a verse ''Nachan Kudan Man Ka Chao,”

“ Dancing and leaping are mind’s yearnings.”

But like you say it's another thread :TH:

160011[/snapback]

Actually even the best kirtan at our nagar kirtan uses dhol which makes u feel like dancing just like bhangra grin.gif

Actually even the best kirtan at our nagar kirtan uses dhol which makes u feel like dancing just like bhangra grin.gif

Bhainji the dhol is used at nagar kirtans to inspire Bir Rus in the people doing kirtan and Gatka. The Nagar Kirtan itself has no relation with Bhangra, or culture. The season of Vaaisakh is obviously celebrated in Punjab for cultural as well as religious reasons, but the Nagar Kirtan is a procession of Guru Ji's Khalsa, and Guru Granth Sahib Ji is leading the procession, at the front of the Nagar Kirtan. It is not appropriate to have songs and bhangra dancing in front of Guru Sahib Ji. In my humble opinion, the only type of "dancing" we should be doing in front of Guru Sahib Ji is dancing with shasters - doing Gatka and our penthra - we are a warrior kaum...

Bhangra is not acceptable at any Nagar Kirtan being held in memory of Guru Ji's Panj Pyare, and Guru Khalsa Panth. I'm not saying whether the act of Bhangra it self is right or wrong, but it's definitely not appropriate at any Nagar Kirtan, where Guru Ji themself are walking with their laadlee Fauj.

bhul chuk maaf.