Should The Gurdwaras Disallow Pictures?

''There should be no idols, statues, or religious pictures other than Shrines in a Gurdwara, because Sikhs worship only God, and they regard God as having no physical form''

Then why do we see pictures of Gurus (can't be Gurus because we have no perception of what they looked like) All we should have are pictures of e.g Harmandir Sahib and many other scared Gurdwaras.

I've seen idols of Guru Nanak in some Gurdwaras and at a few homes. This is ALL Bipran ki reet. When the Hindu priests took over the Gurdwaras they installed statues of the hindu deities and began making illustrations. Some even have a picture of a hindu God beside them. Yes Sikhs respect all religions but we should not mix these together because , if Guru Nanak found this acceptable don't you think he would have introduced it himself!

A few Gurdawaras have banned these pictures but it should be made compulsory in ALL!

ban.gifban.gif

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wow a paakhandi baba dat makes sense! no.gif

wot is the world coming to??!

160149[/snapback]

I'm only raising the subject because i want my pics up instead :e:

I do find it annoying when i see this. Look at all the protests from Muslims when an illustration of Muhammed was made. Ok they didn't go about it in the correct fashion, but still it ignited them.

We actively encourage it, why?

coz they would rather not have pics of u :wub:

lol nah its all part of punjabi-culture-influenced-bhramanic-brainwash syndrome

cure: NAAM, AMRIT AND REHIT

160154[/snapback]

cudn't have said it better myself!!

erm. in the rahit...doesn't it say something about not bowu=ing to pictures of the gurus??? so they rly shouldn't b placed next to SGGSJ...cuz wen u do matha tek....

erm. in the rahit...doesn't it say something about not bowu=ing to pictures of the gurus??? so they rly shouldn't b placed next to SGGSJ...cuz wen u do matha tek....

160180[/snapback]

Shouldn't be allowed in the Gurdwara fullstop!

Pictures of Guru's should be disallowed. But not pictures of other Gurdwaras, or of Sikh shaheeds who were sawn in half for not converting. It's pics like these that help me make sense of my identity of Sikhi.

160192[/snapback]

I agree, that's different because that guides us through history.

The Guru never put faith or worshipped anyone other than the One Immortal God. In Akal Ustat he writes:

"Without Thee (God) I worship none Whatever boon I want, get from Thee."

The Guru makes the above point clear in his thirty-three Swayas:

"Some fasten an idol firmly to their breasts; some say that Shiv is God; Some say that God is in the

temple of the Hindus; others believe that He is in the mosque of the Musalmans;

Some say that Rama is God; some say Krishna; some in their hearts accept the incarnations as God;

But I have forgotten all vain religion and know in my heart that the Creator is the only God." (Swaya-

XII)

"Why call Shiv God, and why speak of Brahma as God?

God is not Ram Chander, Krishan, or Vishnu whom ye suppose to be the lords of the world.

Sukhdev, Prasar, and Vyas erred in abandoning the One God and worshipping many gods.

All have set up false religions; I in every way believe that there is but One God."

(Swaya- XV, Guru Gobind Singh)

Let us follow!!! d_oh.gifd_oh.gifpray.gif

Agree with you 100%.....what I find even more distasteful is pictures of Sants etc in Gurudwara's etc.

However, there is another point....a picture tells a thousand words.....the picture og the Ten Master asking for a head for his sword on Vasakhi all those years ago can illustrate a principle in Sikhism quite easily. How do we reconcile that?

Hoe do we reconcile with that?