Who Do You Consider A Sikh?

Who do you consider a Sikh?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you consider a Sikh?

• Someone who believes in the faith, upholds the identity, and has taken Amrit?
    • Somone who belives in the faith, and upholds the identity?
    • Somone who believes in the faith?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am keshdari and am slowly making my way to becoming amritdhari. I don't want to take that step yet, I am not ready to commit myself to that path as yet.

But if there is a groundswell of impulse that only keshdhari can consider themselves as Sikh then I think we need to start another campaign altogether - with petitions and websites and everything - and that is to ex-communicate all sehajdhari and clean shaven 'so-called' Sikhs and ban them from calling themselves Sikhs altogether.

In the UK this will cut down the Sikh population by at least half, and Sikhs will be an even smaller minority. On the other hand, things will be less complicated for us. And just for good measure, on all our websites of our campaign and in our literature, we can include contact details for the local Christian churches, Mosques, Scientologists and Hare Krishnas, where they will find a welcoming home, and they can follow Jesus, Mohammad, or Buddha instead. Because we dont want them, do we?

I am of the opinion that a Sikh is one who beleives in the das Gurus and Guru Granth Sahib Ji and its tennants and teachings and rejects all others. This could be a full rehatdhari amritdhari or a cut haired guy who wears a kara. We are all Sikh, it is just that some have moved further along the path then others. We should be encouraging the sehajdharis, not excluding and alienating them.

Obviously the Khalsa are rehatdhari amritdhari sikhs.

A sikh by definition means learner...which we All are...whether amritdhari or not.

We are all Sikh, the sikhs that are not yet amritdhari or ar on the path should strive to move up in their sikhi....in other words show the love for Guru ji they say exists on the inside. The love that exists on the inside will ultimately show on the outside. When we're happy for example we see it in our expression. The one we love we try to adopt understand and adopt their ideals.

Literally "student, disciple." According to the Sikh Rehat Maryada, a Sikh is someone who believes in God, the ten Sikh Gurus, in the Guru Granth Sahib, in the importance of the Khalsa initiation, and in no other religion; "Seeker of Truth"

Just a few thoughts.

A sikh by definition means learner...which we All are...whether amritdhari or not. We are all sikhs, ones that are not yet amritdhari or ar on the path should strive to move up in their sikhi....in other words show the love they say exists on the inside. The love that exists on the inside will ultimately show on the outside. When we're happy for example we see it in our expression.

Literally "student, disciple." According to the Sikh Rehat Maryada, a Sikh is someone who believes in God, the ten Sikh Gurus, in the Guru Granth Sahib, in the importance of the Khalsa initiation, and in no other religion; "Seeker of Truth"

Just a few thoughts.

I am not going to go on this site anymore, or any religious site from now on because it is depressing me. One thing I will say though weather you consider me a Sikh or not, I will always stand behind the Sikhs. I have a lot of pride for my religion, I dont wear any kakars because I dont want to disrespect them but when I look at the Khanda chain in my car I reminded of the courage of my people. and when I see my middle name on my ID card "SINGH" I too am filled with courage.

Signing off forever,

Born2bSikh