How To Sew A Kacherra?

Guest tailor

Guest tailor

hey, anyone know how to sew kacherra? I can't find a tailor so can anyone draw a picture and post it please? I need to know what pieces to cut from the big piece of cloth and how to put it together.

and how much cloth you need for one kacherra?

this is the most fun aspect of kakkars for me so far, asking people about sewing kacherras :wub:

thanks!

hehe if you purchase one from a place like 'sacha sauda' you can figure out how to sew one by lookin at that ... that would be easier than someone drawing pictures

161428[/snapback]

Penjii, wheres 'sacha sauda'? In the UK?

Kacheras arent just two pieces put together, theres an art to making a Kachera. It doesn't do it justice to draw a picture/pattern to cut it from. if u live in the UK, then go to old southall, sikh missionary society and you can either purchase Kacheras or they will be able to tell you where to buy them from. OOrrr if you konw any Namdhari's, ask them, they may know as they always make their own....Hope it helps!

Fateh Ji!

An aunty once told me how to make them and you can get them up to the knees tooo! without buying those ready made ones :lol:

Get like a 4-5m Cloth, well depends on how many larrs you want. Fold it into a rectangle and sew all sides closed. You have to have all four sides closed. Then diagonally pick up the rectangle on just one side and cut through. Make it turn back into the rectangle like before and when you open this, It looks like the top of the Kacheraa. So now all you have to do is make room for the legs. Cut from both sides from the bottom.

At the top, make a fold and sew for the naalaa portion, and then at the bottom, sew it like they sew the salvaar de pauchey...

let me know if this is not clear lol, I know its quite hard to understand the above method.

I cant sew anything but Kacheraas and Naalaas :@

Guest tailor

An aunty once told me how to make them and you can get them up to the knees tooo! without buying those ready made ones :lol:

Get like a 4-5m Cloth, well depends on how many larrs you want. Fold it into a rectangle and sew all sides closed. You have to have all four sides closed. Then diagonally pick up the rectangle on just one side and cut through. Make it turn back into the rectangle like before and when you open this, It looks like the top of the Kacheraa. So now all you have to do is make room for the legs. Cut from both sides from the bottom.

At the top, make a fold and sew for the naalaa portion, and then at the bottom, sew it like they sew the salvaar de pauchey...

let me know if this is not clear lol, I know its quite hard to understand the above method.

so you mean to say that the aasan (crotch) is at the same level as the bottom leg openings?

i was thinking if this layout would work:

cut 3 pieces, one for each leg, and a piece for the aasan that get stitched to both the other pieces for the legs and at top make the thing for the naala...and bottom leggings same like you explained about the way salwaar pahoncha is made.

Guest Guest

so you mean to say that the aasan (crotch) is at the same level as the bottom leg openings?

i was thinking if this layout would work:

cut 3 pieces, one for each leg, and a piece for the aasan that get stitched to both the other pieces for the legs and at top make the thing for the naala...and bottom leggings same like you explained about the way salwaar pahoncha is made.

no this layout wont work.

You have to do it as "haha" says.. that is the correct way to stitch a reb kachera.

• 6 years later...

Can someone post A step by step guide in making kachera on youtube. That will be very helpfull for those intending to stitch one on their own. Hope to see a posting soon.

• 7 months later...