Piddu The Great - Mtv India

Pyara

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"why not go and demonstrate and even make a petition?"

kandola if sikhs started protesting every tv serial, movie, bollywood show, etc in india, we would all have to quit our full-time jobs and become full-time protesters. wake up in the morning, take up the signs and go to the protest of the day. we already ahve the 1984 protest every june, we have the republic day protests, we have the delhi pogroms protest, we have the sant dera protests, we have teh RSS protests, personally think we are doing enough protests.

protest protest protest. geez man, where do the protests end? forget the protests, someone needs a bloody nose now.

"why not go and demonstrate and even make a petition?"

kandola if sikhs started protesting every tv serial, movie, bollywood show, etc in india, we would all have to quit our full-time jobs and become full-time protesters. wake up in the morning, take up the signs and go to the protest of the day. we already ahve the 1984 protest every june, we have the republic day protests, we have the delhi pogroms protest, we have the sant dera protests, we have teh RSS protests, personally think we are doing enough protests.

protest protest protest. geez man, where do the protests end? forget the protests, someone needs a bloody nose now.

Why don't we go to the nearest gun shop and stock pile a bunch of ******** rolling...

rolleyes.gif

Why don't we go to the nearest gun shop and stock pile a bunch of weapons, then we can get a few (heads) rolling...

that's a little extreme man. i was just thinking about some good old fashioned fist-on-nose action. like a singh gving one of these producers a knuckle sandwich at an award show or something. that would be sweet.

"Quite hypocritical coming from a guy who is showing a cartoon character with a dastaar and beard. What image are you trying to portray, isn't homer simpson a beer drinking bafoon? Is that what you think Sikhs are."

good point, but when das put this on a poll (to ask if this pic was or wasnt offensive), sangat agreed that homer simpson was not offensive (and was voted by a landslide..if i can remember it was 36/9)

but although that isnt my intention (to show sikhs drink) there have been members in the past who have had the pics of the simpsons with dastaars....

back to the topic...

Bhul Chukke Muaff

Kandola, the criticism of your homer icon is bang on. And beyond that is totally relevant to this very thread. Here is a repost of my response to your query at the time. I invite any one of your 36 cheerleaders to address the post below. I have repeatedly complement the work of sevadhars on this site. However, I am baffled that this site would permit the Simpson caricature of guruji's sikh.

-------------------------

Context

If a known racist drew the same thing it would be offensive. Or if it was a drawing that was done as part of a script in a bollywood movie, we would be protesting.

On the other hand, if we are amongst a group of close friends in private and one of them does it who is a khalsa who has a far-fetched sense of humor who we know has fought valiantly for the utmost respect for dastar and dhari, we may be a bit more forgiving.

Now Kandola, you are bold enough to ask, so here is my opinion. I do not claim sikhi. I fall short of beautiful sikhs who follow rehat,…

HOWEVER taking into account that

1. it is not uncommon to mock a visible minority for their appearance;

2. the creator is someone says he is mona and in that state self-servingly argues on other threads that sikhi roop is less important “than the inside”, -- in essence saying you are more important than sikhi itself (kandola this is about respecting sikhi, you specifically are not the concern of this comment, besides you are likely more of a sikh than I)----

3. this forum is accessible by virtually the entire world who do not know you or have a clue about why you have this ---

4. humor is not culturally universal and regardless a large part of sikh culture would not see humor in putting a dastar and dhari on a joker-----

5. certain offensive concepts are so well understood that they have been boiled down to single words such as “defile” and “deface”

because of at least these reasons the avatar is offensive. It seems that you are open to learning. Your humility right at the outset is impressive. I may have at some point noticed that it was homer and at that point maybe even commented on it on the forum, however over time I glossed over this till someone asked again more recently.

I find far too many sikhs try to assure that they are not labeled as fanatics and fail to stand up for sikhi. To the ones who find it funny, ----discipline, reflection, self-respect.

"Quite hypocritical coming from a guy who is showing a cartoon character with a dastaar and beard. What image are you trying to portray, isn't homer simpson a beer drinking bafoon? Is that what you think Sikhs are."

good point, but when das put this on a poll (to ask if this pic was or wasnt offensive), sangat agreed that homer simpson was not offensive (and was voted by a landslide..if i can remember it was 36/9)

but although that isnt my intention (to show sikhs drink) there have been members in the past who have had the pics of the simpsons with dastaars....

back to the topic...

Bhul Chukke Muaff

Kandola, the criticism of your homer icon is bang on. And beyond that is totally relevant to this very thread. Here is a repost of my response to your query at the time. I invite any one of your 36 cheerleaders to address the post below. I have repeatedly complement the work of sevadhars on this site. However, I am baffled that this site would permit the Simpson caricature of guruji's sikh.

-------------------------

Context

If a known racist drew the same thing it would be offensive. Or if it was a drawing that was done as part of a script in a bollywood movie, we would be protesting.

On the other hand, if we are amongst a group of close friends in private and one of them does it who is a khalsa who has a far-fetched sense of humor who we know has fought valiantly for the utmost respect for dastar and dhari, we may be a bit more forgiving.

Now Kandola, you are bold enough to ask, so here is my opinion. I do not claim sikhi. I fall short of beautiful sikhs who follow rehat,…

HOWEVER taking into account that

1. it is not uncommon to mock a visible minority for their appearance;

2. the creator is someone says he is mona and in that state self-servingly argues on other threads that sikhi roop is less important “than the inside”, -- in essence saying you are more important than sikhi itself (kandola this is about respecting sikhi, you specifically are not the concern of this comment, besides you are likely more of a sikh than I)----

3. this forum is accessible by virtually the entire world who do not know you or have a clue about why you have this ---

4. humor is not culturally universal and regardless a large part of sikh culture would not see humor in putting a dastar and dhari on a joker-----

5. certain offensive concepts are so well understood that they have been boiled down to single words such as “defile” and “deface”

because of at least these reasons the avatar is offensive. It seems that you are open to learning. Your humility right at the outset is impressive. I may have at some point noticed that it was homer and at that point maybe even commented on it on the forum, however over time I glossed over this till someone asked again more recently.

I find far too many sikhs try to assure that they are not labeled as fanatics and fail to stand up for sikhi. To the ones who find it funny, ----discipline, reflection, self-respect.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh!

What's the point of the Homer Simpson character with a fake dastar and dara allegedlly portraying a Sikh. I don't understand what it's meant to represent. They say a picture says a thousand words (or something like that) so it is everyones responsibility to ensure they realise what their avatars/pictures are actually portraying.

Homer Simpson's not much of a human role model, he's considered to be a fool really. Maybe he's character most of us associate with Sikhs, I don't know. But really what's the point of saying this Piddu character's an issue when we ourselves mock our own image.

Why not portray a positive image of Sikhs with pictures of saheeds and mahapurshs as a pose to cartoon characters with dastaars doodled on their heads!!

Homer Simpson will go soon

a quick edit....

". the creator is someone says he is mona and in that state self-servingly argues on other threads that sikhi roop is less important “than the inside”, -- in essence saying you are more important than sikhi itself"

http://www.sikhsangat.com/index.php?showto...l=Homer+Simpson

lol so thats where your speech came from?

"in reply to buddha_singh, lets not take this thread to a sikhi saroop thread, my view is if you want sikhi saroop, make sure you live up to the standards sikhi saroop requires inside and out and dont be like alot of aaj kal di singhs, be more distinctive to that and dont fall into a trap of showing how religious you are on the outside and you have nothing on the inside, because its the heart that counts. but if you want sikhi saroop, by all means go for it (because guru ji has said its essential) but lets not forget he also said you need to live up to the standards (like the story of the donkey in the tiger skin)

just make sure you can live upto the standards set by the guru."

but what im basically saying in there is, my belief is you need the heart of a singh to be a singh.

anyway, what has been done, has been done now

Bhul Chukke Muaff

Show this to the Indian Sikhs who feel Khalistan is a stupid idea and Sikhs abroad are misguided.

161545[/snapback]

MAY WE KHALISTANIS SAY MORE - ANOVA REASON 4 KHALISTAN -AND THE ANTI KHALISTANI S THIS YR HAS BEEN 20YRS SINCE THE DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE WAS DECALRED BY THE PANTHIC COMMMITEE OUTSIDE AKAL THAKHT

[/quot

Saat Sri akal,

firstly obviously if sikh ppl are getting laughed at, then yes of course its bad, but however @ least they are not being looked down on, this can be seen as a celebration that nothing gets to us. The media think they can bring anything dwn but the real and true fight is to sit back and laugh back @ them they've got no facts on us and as long as we can keep our dignity and pride that is all that matters the great ppl who became matyrs for us wont be very pleased knowing that our generation can't even laugh at ourselves. Just imagine all of the crap that the great shaeeds had to take: Bhagat Singh, Uttum Singh Ji and many others who laughed and smiled even while they were being excuted when they were about to be hung. Those were the real sikhs and thats what we have to present to the media that were not afraid @ whatever they throw @ us.

Mr and Mrs Sidhu