Are Nihangs Out Of Touch With Reality Or Is It Just Me?

Guest Narinder Singh

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This fascination with Nihangs is just a UK thing. No one in Punjab gives two hoots about which Dal so and so belongs to. Nihangs have a very poor record of doing anything in the interests of the panth. Last thing they ever did that was panthic was in the late sixties when a few Nihangs were killed by the police when taking over Paonta Sahib Gurdwara. I'm in Punjab at the moment and people look down on Nihangs so much. Most are just losers who put on Nihang bana to try and get way from paying the bus fare! All those losers in the UK who go around claiming to Nihangs and add Akali so and so to their names are just the same type of people only difference being that london buses don't allow losers in whatever dress to get away from paying the fare.

singhfromuk thats a bit out of context, think it of this people in punjab dnt give to hoots about sikhi, apart from the sikhs....no one gives 2 hoots about akjs, apart from the akj's....do u get ma drifed, people who are effected or take intrest will care, others just wont.

hmmm 2 posts.... hmmm,

Akali Sodhi is right about the following:

1. The Hariavela Nihangs do exactly the same thing as the Buddha Dal nihangs - i.e. Goats are chatka'ed at their camps and Sukha is also prepared despite their leader being a tee-total vegetarian.

2. Those who like to indicate that Baba Santa is not the Jathedar, I believe you should perhaps reconsider given the following:

- Baba Surjit Singh has been declared as a the NEXT Jathedar to be, and

- Baba Balbir Singh Akali, although a one time detractor of Baba Santa Singh owing to the Akal Thakt incident, has now sought forgiveness and his Dal (which is the more popular one in terms of recent publicity thanks to Nihangs like Major Singh and his 101m Dumalla) has largely resolved differences with Baba Santa Singh's Dal.

In addition, perhaps the sangat would also consider the following:

1. Sukha and Chatka:

These are now long established practices of the Nihangs and largely accepted as part of their lifetsyle. Randip Singh has explained clearly and sensibly how these came about and I would concur that yes, that sukha is now abused, but I can't get over people's shock at its occurence, it's hardly something new, its been happening for ages - let's not forget that the Akal Thakt didn't excommunicate Baba Santa Singh for his opium addiction but for his anti-panthic choice in the rebuilding of the Akal Thakt. On this topic however, whilst the Taksal took over the job from an accepted Panthic standpoint, let's not forget that they are also responsible for its current state (i.e. no heritage value, changes from historical structure).

2. Baba Nihal Singh

Baba Jee is indeed a key figure in the Panth today, however more emphasis seems to be placed on his vegetarian diet than anything else - for reasons I expressed already on the vegetarian thread, this is not short of stupid. Interestingly enough, the very (non-Nihang) supporters of Baba Jee as "jinda - shaheed" are now retracting their words following the Khalsa Heritage complex incident displaying the apparent close links of Baba Jee, the Sant Samaj and the Taksal to the Congress Government.

3. Nihangs are a joke in Punjab

This is largely true in India as many "nihang jokes" are common amongst Urbanite Sikhs who view them as country bumpkins (for the record, this is not my view, I'm simply observing), moreover the Nihangs opening admit that they have renegades in their ranks giving them a bad name - speak to some chardi kala older Nihangs and they'll explain this too, owing to the custom of their Dals to accept all and sundry. This much said, let's be realistic, in Punjab the popular man is Parkash Singh Badal (given that he is VOTED in time and again within the SGPC - he hasn't placed a gun infront of people to secure his seat...) and even other groups such as AKJ are not regarded well in many Punjabi towns, where they are either referred to as the 'Vaheguru Vaheguru vale' and/or 'Pugvalia bibia' or derogatory terms like 'Pankhand Kirtani Jatha' or 'badh sit badh sit karn vale' (a reference to the heavy saas graas simran) - again before anyone gets over emotional, these are not my views only observations - in short the point being that majority opinion, whilst saying something about the large composite of any commuinity does not necessarily equal the correct opinion depending on how one analyses the situation.

• 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...