Naam And Simran

Guest :-)

Read bhai Rama Singh Jees book in search for a true Guroo... Chapter on Gurmatar i think it was. Awesome book found at all good gurSikhi book Shops and Rainsbaiiss :lol: Vahigurooo

Simran:

Vâhigurûjîkâkhâlsâ Vâhigurûjîkîfateh

If you allow me I would like to add the following regarding the origin of the word simran. .......... The word "simran" derives from the Sanskrit grammatical root "SMR: smarati" which means "to remember". In Sanskrit it refers both to the act of recalling past recorded information in one's memory but also to meditate.

For example:

"aham akâlpurusham smarâmi" means "I meditate on the Timeless Being" instead of just being "I remember the Timeless Being".

The word simran in a Sikh theological context thus refers to meditative rememberance of Akâl Purakh. The conotation of rememberance is extremely important for it distinguishes the notion of simran from simple dhyâna or meditation. In Sukhmanî Sâhib Srî Gurû Arjan Dev Jî Mahârâj says:

Har simrani kîo sagal akârâ// He has created the whole universe for the sake of Har simran.

This means that Akâl Purakh manifested this universe so that He/She could be remembered. Or better even, it is in the mirror of creation that the Divine contemplates His own Beauty. As the famous hadîth ul qudsî says:

“I was a treasure that was not known, so I loved to be known. Hence I created the creatures and I made Myself known to them, and thus they came to know Me.”

For us creatures to be able to remember the Divine implies that we have had previous knowledge of the Divine. This is what is referred to in the mûlmantar "âdi sachu". Âdi refers here to the state before creation and the emergence of past (jugâdi sachu), present (hai bhî sachu) and future (hosî bhî sachu).As the divine attributes are manifested through the grace of the Gurû (i.e. Mahârâj is the saguna aspect of God) and that this was true even before any creation (âdi sachu) this also means that we have known Mahârâj before coming on this earthly existence. Through our lives we demonstrate whether we remain faithful to this bond of love by having our existences directed towards Mahârâj (gurmukh) or whether we chose to betray this bond of love and follow our own limited ego (manmukh).

The enamoured soul in its earthly exile remembers the Beloved and longs to be united with Him again.

I hope this helps.