Going On A Holiday To India

VJKK VJKF!!

Hey everyone, i dont know if this is the right place to post im sure it will be moved if it isnt.

But since im going to india after like 7 years, i was wondering if we shud make a thread about it, so that if anyone else is going then they too can read this thread and take the advice of the sangat. We are going to punjab so places near to punjab wud be gud, but anywher in india cant do no harm.

So what places should we visit, what should we not miss out on............ famous places, fun places, religious places , places where i can buy Gutkas with nitnem, kirtan cd's , sikhi books in english.............

Essentials to pack in the suit case, tips on surviving in the scorching weather, tips on not getting eaten by insects............. tips on anything...........

What were your experiences when you went?

Basically anything about going to india .....

I cant thank you enough ..............

PS; (iv gota take lots of leastic bands, cos my hairs still not long enuf for a joora :lol: :@ )

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PS; (iv gota take lots of leastic bands, cos my hairs still not long enuf for a joora :wub: :@ )

blush.gif awwwww...same here :)

i went 2years ago...after 7 years 2...n the best advice i had from my beloved uncle ji was

"dont luk down ur nose at anything...ie errrr it smells, err ther's cow tatti, its too hot, i dont want roti"

lol..it worked :lol: reaaly it did!!! if u think like that u may as well not bother goin...but erm its not that hot okk...ok it is but ull cope!! just rise above it...dont let it bother u

wear cotton clothes :TH: otherwise u sweat like a pig ...haha...ohhh erm dont take dark coloured clothing with u cuz it'll just fade.

i would personally discourage u from buying any kind of CDs from there...unless they are in proper casing because they usually tend 2 b of poooooooor quality...or just blank CDs lol...

drink lots of water!!!! (bottled of course!!) when we went there was a special offer ..on the bisleri water...but u got 20% extra free so they called the 2limited edition" bada bisleri LOl...but i heard the "limited edition" is still goin haha....(n its not 20% free...cuz the shop we went 2...they crossed out the real price with blak marker n put another price in its place lol...bt thats a nother story )

erm take sun blaock...i didnt use it that mu8ch tho...because u hardly go out during the hottest part of the day cuz its 2 hot...when u plan 2 go places dont go tellin evrybody cuz then they plan on coming with u ...like sum kind'v desi road trip lol...that happend 2 us :) n u get squeezed with like 20 diff ppl in2 th bak of a car...n then my bibi kept doin some harsh badh man...ewww ok sorry i dont want 2 put u off :\

erm obv u gotta go sri Darbar sahib... d_oh.gif

but naa its wicked...i thought i wud hate it...but i cant wait 2 go bak 2 the punjab :@

Dont go in May,JUNE,July, August

Do not carry no jumpa's coats etc... :lol: @

Stay indoors from 11-4 ish

erm ur means of transport should have an AC for sure else u get drenched in sweat ...am guessin

Don't drive no vechiles in india unless ur a PRO...

do go to your pind and have a ride in a tractor or quad bike around the fields and sit by the motor and suck on some gunnay (sugarcane) blush.gif i miss india ...lol

erm do stand n eat by one of em road side stalls which sell chhaat n that but not during ur first week there let your tummy get used to all the masalay n that AWW.gif

say sat sri akal to everyone u see rolleyes.gif

visit chandigarh's sector 17 the place 2 b rolleyes.gif my cousins made me spend all my evenings there !!

if you're going for a wedding be ready to be introduced 2 nearly everyone attending the dayem thing wacko.gif

can't think of anything else ...will get back with more Do's and dont's later!!!!

no.. quite the opposite.. anyone over the age of 9 can drive in india. Just do keertan sohila before you drive just incase.. :@
do go to your pind and have a ride in a tractor or quad bike around the fields and sit by the motor and suck on some gunnay (sugarcane) i miss india ...lol

CANT AGREE MORE!!! all abt driving the tractor :lol:

no point in going then!

haha,wow thers some gud advice.............. i remember bits about last time i went, and it was fun and i loved everything about it .............

we will be ther probs most of june so im getting ready for the heat.........i dnt get sun burnt too much, we are plannin to travel about i think so gna make sure we got some AC in the car.... im makin a list of things to buy, i need one of them sarbloh karas

no.. quite the opposite.. anyone over the age of 9 can drive in india. Just do keertan sohila before you drive just incase.. :@
do go to your pind and have a ride in a tractor or quad bike around the fields and sit by the motor and suck on some gunnay (sugarcane) i miss india ...lol

CANT AGREE MORE!!! all abt driving the tractor :lol:

no point in going then!

ma dad bought a motor bike last year when he went, n my mums tryin to make me promise not to use it lol...........

May, June July and August are the best times to go. There are a lot less NRI so you have thr run of the towns, shops etc. Most the locals tend to stay indoors during the midday sun but hey if you are NRI you can go out in that weather. The only thing to worry about is the monsoon as the rain can flash flood areas in towns for a few hours as the drainage is rubbish.

Driving vehicles is easy in India. Just dodge the people, cows, monkeys, tractors, mules etc etc and you cannot go wrong.

With regards to books and kirtan cds read the reply I posted to yor last request.

Parwinder Singh Ji.

Depends where about you are going in India.

In Jalandhar I would head for the Mai Hira Gate area (I think this area is also known as Balmiki bazaar but most rickshaw wale know Mai Hira Gate area, just tell them the bazaar where they sell all the kataaba (books)). There are a few good bookshops there but ones I find very useful are Universal Book Depot and the New Book Company (tel : 0181 280045). If there are any books they do not have in stock then they can order books in for you to collect after a week. To get to Mai Hira Gate costs about 8 or 9 RS on a Rickshaw from outside the Radisson Hotel.

In Amritsar you could try Chattar and Jiwan. But I tend to avoid them as they are guilty of beadbi. There are a few others around Amritsar but I find the prices inflated and service very poor. Chattar and Jiwan are not hard to find. Just head towards the toilets (near Akal Takht secetariat) and you will see the shop of Chattar and Jiwan.

Delhi has got to be the best place to buy books. There are some top book shops in Darya Ganj (again a Rickshaw wala take you to the right place). Prakash Books at 1 Ansari Road, Darya Ganj will have most books anyone could ever want. Also Oxford University Press on Ansari Road have a few good books in their range and they are a lot cheaper than buying the same books from Amazon. Then there are a few good bookshops in Connaught Place. Bookworm at B-29 Connaught Place, Delhi is a particular favourite. There are a few othrs around Connaught Place. The folks at Bookworm are superb when it comes to service. They have tracked down and got books in for me within a few hours.

In Chandigarh there are a few book shops in sector 17. If you head towards Music World, there is a book shop on either end (extreme ends) of that stretch of shops. Ebony in SCO 34-37 Sector 9-D had a book area which was very clean.

I think there are a few fancy shopping malls up in Ludhiana and maybe Jalandhar which may have the odd bookshop.

Do not be afraid to ask for a discount when buying books. 10% off the published jacket price is normal.

As for Kirtan CDs. I really do not bother buying them in India anymore. Most are just copies and I would rather download Kirtan off the net and burn to CD at a low speed using quality media. The stuff in India is usually very low quality recorded at high speeds.

Parwinder Singh, most books have a m.r.p in the first few pages or the last page (max retail price).

Also, Now that Kurtas mentioend Mai Hira Gate (2 mins from my place), I suggest you go to 'Sunder Book Depot', which has most book you'll look for, otherwise he orders them from wherever (Singhbrothers, Chattar Singh Jeevan Singh etc etc)

Universal book shop did't have the book I wanted (was looking for boks on 84, found books like, the one by Brar, and the one with the forward by KP Gill... Bought both, because I needed a bias version sice I was writing a report...)

So you might not find the best books there.

Delhi doesn't have as much books on Sikhi as they do in Amritsar, in my observations. Don't go to Chattar Singh Jeevan Singh, due to the beadbi issue, if you're in Amritsar go Singhbrothers (singhbrothers.com) or Khalsa brothers which are just right beside CSJS bookshop.

If you got stomach problems.. take the magical 'pili goli'. It is miraculous. Does wonders.