Going On A Holiday To India

Parwinder Singh, most books have a m.r.p in the first few pages or the last page (max retail price).

Also, Now that Kurtas mentioend Mai Hira Gate (2 mins from my place), I suggest you go to 'Sunder Book Depot', which has most book you'll look for, otherwise he orders them from wherever (Singhbrothers, Chattar Singh Jeevan Singh etc etc)

Universal book shop did't have the book I wanted (was looking for boks on 84, found books like, the one by Brar, and the one with the forward by KP Gill... Bought both, because I needed a bias version sice I was writing a report...)

So you might not find the best books there.

Delhi doesn't have as much books on Sikhi as they do in Amritsar, in my observations. Don't go to Chattar Singh Jeevan Singh, due to the beadbi issue, if you're in Amritsar go Singhbrothers (singhbrothers.com) or Khalsa brothers which are just right beside CSJS bookshop.

If you got stomach problems.. take the magical 'pili goli'. It is miraculous. Does wonders.

Another Jullunduriya. :lol:

So you in Model Town or Defence Colony ?

LionKing you ever been to Darya Ganj ?

Delhi has some of the best book shops in the world (I am not kidding). They may not stock much Chattar and Jiwan Singh books but if you want any other book published by a major publisher (Oxford Uni Press, Harper Collins, Penguin, Roli, Viking, Punjab Uni etc etc) then you cannot go wrong in Delhi especially in Darya Ganj. You would be surprised at the books available.

As for the old delhi belly. Firstly prevention is better than cure. I urge you not to eat anything that is frozen especially ice creams (even the Walls ones). They are usually refrozen and as such full of gand which can give you the runs. Drink lots of fluids. Foodwise stick to things you have seen being cooked and make sure the place is clean. Loperamide tablets can help bung you up for 5/6 hours if you do get the runs.

Watch out for pirate copies of books. You may laugh but they do exist. They are usually very crude photocopies binded together.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lol never heard of pirates of books.

Kurtas, My Parents lived very close to Patel chaunk thingy.. a few minutes walk from Balmiki gate.

There's a 'kesta vala bazar' (with hardcore Punjabi accent) which has pretty much every casette released in India. I don't remember the exact name, but ask someone local where you can get 'kesta', and they'll tell you... alternatively, I can find out for you (if it's life and death situation blush.gif )

Well I was looking for some books by Ram Narayan Kumar, and a local resident told me to not talk loud about 84 issues in Delhi (I was just saying I wanted a book, and that too in a normal tone, not even loud!) :wub: ..you're probably right, i don't know much about Delhi. No I havn't been to Duriya Ganj, will make sure to visit it next time I'm around the area :lol:

Hey I thought Walls was safe, but again, thanks for the warning (this thread is useful for me too, since I might be going soon d_oh.gif )

Thanks for the recommendation - Loperamide d_oh.gif

Will probably come handy :@

If you got stomach problems.. take the magical 'pili goli'. It is miraculous. Does wonders.

LOL.gif LOLLLL...or if u cant get hold of that...try tha HAAJMULLAAAAAAAA stuff lol...ewww stinky

lol i tried that here once when my dad tried giving it to me.........didnt go down too well..........

i have been told that some people take the caps of the coca cola bottles and take some out and fill it with water......... ?? ........ ill probs be stayin off fizzy drinks, and stickin to bottled or 'boiled' water , it shud keep me hydrated............. wow wat fun this is gona be.......................shud i write my will before i go? lol

Lol never heard of pirates of books.

Kurtas, My Parents lived very close to Patel chaunk thingy.. a few minutes walk from Balmiki gate.

There's a 'kesta vala bazar' (with hardcore Punjabi accent) which has pretty much every casette released in India. I don't remember the exact name, but ask someone local where you can get 'kesta', and they'll tell you... alternatively, I can find out for you (if it's life and death situation blush.gif )

Well I was looking for some books by Ram Narayan Kumar, and a local resident told me to not talk loud about 84 issues in Delhi (I was just saying I wanted a book, and that too in a normal tone, not even loud!) :wub: ..you're probably right, i don't know much about Delhi. No I havn't been to Duriya Ganj, will make sure to visit it next time I'm around the area :lol:

Hey I thought Walls was safe, but again, thanks for the warning (this thread is useful for me too, since I might be going soon d_oh.gif )

Thanks for the recommendation - Loperamide d_oh.gif

Will probably come handy :@

You ever been to Sant Pagri House. Every type and colour of dastaar you could ever want.

Kest vala bazzar LOL.gif Will have to go there next time.

Avoid all ice creams. You ever been to that famous ice cream place run by the really fat blokes ? It is well known in jalandhar. They used to have pictures of themselves with bollywood heroes on the walls. The special included ice cream and seymia (desi speghetti)

All the locals tend to talk bobbins. I remember when I was over in 1993. I know this bloke in Punjab Police as he is sort of related. He told me it was dangerous to take a map of Punjab out of India as the security people at the aiport would get me. He was very serious. So I bought 2 and carried them in my hand luggage.

It is also fun watching all the NRI getting hassled by the beggars outside bimpy (wimpy). I just swap my Reebok for those white Action boots (cheap nasty desi trainers that all the apne use to wear with trousers at weddings in the early 90s). The beggers take one look at the Action trainers and avoid coming near me.

Patel Chounk......that reminds me never you the Sant Taxi people near the Ravidas Chounk. They are very unreliable.

LOL.gif LOLLLL...or if u cant get hold of that...try tha HAAJMULLAAAAAAAA stuff lol...ewww stinky

lol i tried that here once when my dad tried giving it to me.........didnt go down too well..........

i have been told that some people take the caps of the coca cola bottles and take some out and fill it with water......... ?? ........ ill probs be stayin off fizzy drinks, and stickin to bottled or 'boiled' water , it shud keep me hydrated............. wow wat fun this is gona be.......................shud i write my will before i go? lol

Its the bottled water you got to watch. Empty bottles get refilled using tap water. When I was over last year some chap tried to sell me a case of Aquafina water in a sealed Fanta box.

Also if you go anywhere and they offer you tap water run a mile. I usually have lots of time to mess around and on my last trip I got on the roof to look in one of those plastic water tanks (tankia) they top up for water. The thing was full of debris. I would think twice about washing in the stuff let alone drinking it.

Enjoy your trip and give us a write up when you come back.

lol.... nop u have 2 hav fizzy drinks, like if u go2 sum1s house they'll be sooooooo xcited 2 give u "thanda" lol, which is either tapwater or fizzy drinks. btw if u get the chance read the ingredients of the soft drinks :lol: it says they "do not contain any real fruit"!! tha goes for limca,fanta,mirinda lol....

ye like kurats said...watch out for their bottles...when we arrived in india, dad went 2 go get us some drinks, it was fanta in them glass botttles, n ewwwww i swear not only could u tste GRIT, u cud see it 2!!! even with the bottled water, makes sure all ur bottles are sealed.

nooo it will be fun, promise!!

n dont write ur will before u go, lol just think o fall the relatives over in India that will be upset with u if they find out they did not win a place in ur heart :@

when i went i kept a diary hahahaha...n still 2 this day it cracks me up!!!

.lolllll u guys are propa funni , ok im gna keep a diary, and then am gna put it on here, or at least some bits of it...............

about the dastars, what do you call the decent ones, cos everytime my bibi or dad bring them bk and when i wash em they colour comes out like thers no tomorow!! but my cuzin gave me one that losesno colour no mater how many times its washed.......anyone know what to ask for? lol ...... iv recently added to my list , a cholla, a kirpan (dunno how ill get that over here) , a map of punjab lol, some of that 'clear oil' which is gud for hair, and a wooden kanga..........

.lolllll u guys are propa funni , ok im gna keep a diary, and then am gna put it on here, or at least some bits of it...............

Hahahahaha...u just inspired me 2 go upstairs and read my diary this was me 5 mins ago>> LOL.gifLOL.gif

haha..a tip: its even more funny if u use code names LOL, we renamed my thiaar "Fat Boy K" dont u think it has an "edge" lol

yeeah plz do post some of it on here....ahhh man im really jelous i wannu go now :lol:

im sure u can get a kirpan over here, if u keep it in r suitcase and not in ur hand-luggage. we had that prob, any kind'v kapprah we brought from over there has now faded!! ask ur cuzin where he/she got hers

lollll............. code names? ?

yea i wont put it in my hand lugage cos that mite get ppl worried.............talkin about that..............my kara will probs set of the alarm thing........... wat if they ask my to take of my dastar, cos i read on here that its happened before, anyone know the law ? or is it only in america that happens?

my kara will probs set of the alarm thing........... wat if they ask my to take of my dastar, cos i read on here that its happened before, anyone know the law ? or is it only in america that happens?

ye myn did 2 , but they never asked me 2 take it off, this was at bham airport, im not sure abt the dastaar but i suppose its a possibility wen we were cumin bak,at amritsar airport, the lady grabbed me by my jura!!! ohmy.gif n pulled my head down (it was scarey haha) n had a gud search in it.... :lol: ye as if it was big enuf 2 store illegal guds in!!

about the dastars, what do you call the decent ones, cos everytime my bibi or dad bring them bk and when i wash em they colour comes out like thers no tomorow!! but my cuzin gave me one that losesno colour no mater how many times its washed.......anyone know what to ask for? lol ...... iv recently added to my list , a cholla, a kirpan (dunno how ill get that over here) , a map of punjab lol, some of that 'clear oil' which is gud for hair, and a wooden kanga..........

Try Sant Pagri house (I think it is near Rainek Bazaar in Jullundhur). The other way to stop a dastaar from fading easily (so I am told by someone who does this) is to buy it in white and get it dyed from one of them chaps you see dying dupatta (chunia). Apparently the dye they use is better.

As for kirpans that is no problem, put it in your suitcase. I have done this a few times without problems. Last time I got one of those fancy Victorinox kirpana and bought it back. I have bought full size siri sahib back like this as well (just unscrew the handle so it fits in your suitcase).