Kirpan And Aeroplane

vahegurujikakhalsavahegurujikifateh

what do you do at an airport? willingly remove your kirpan? do you still remove your kirpan to travel even if your journey is not necessary ie holiday with friends? do you get hukam from panj pyaree to travel without kirpan?

your views would be appreciated?...

vahegurujikakhalsavahegurujikifateh

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i remove it because by obliging with the law, i help make my world a safer place to live in. I help contribute to safer skies, and I'm indirectly contributing to protecting the innocent, the defenseless and the meek. When I take my kirpan off, I'm acknowledging that I'm not going to make an issue about it, because anyone can DRESS the part as a sikh. All our rights and priviliges would be stripped and ripped if some random loser carries a kirpan onto the plane cuz it's allowed, but then stabs everyone in sight.... well we all know what would happen.

I take my kirpan off without a second thought because if I'm contributing to the safety of all of mankind, then I'm still fulfilling my duty as a Singh.

yes.. willingly remove kirpaan.... do ardaas before you take it off.. and then do ardaas before u put it on....

some people say you shouldn't eat until u put ur kirpaan back on, personally I do... i mean, what u goin to do if u travel to india?..

some also say that you should to full japjee sahib da paath before u eat or nethin after u put it back on... hey.. the more bani u do, the better!

this is somethin that I personally feel we shouldn't try to fight too much.. i travel a lot, and have never tried to fight this... as we know, we live in a very interesting world nowadayz, where there are terrorist attacks and what not all around us... in the United States especially everybody is paranoid... God will understand if we have to take our kirpaan off for a few hours in such a situation...

Think about it this way, if they DID allow kirpaans on planes, that would be great for us... but we KNOW, there will be sum1 who comes and ruins it for EVERYBODY... what if sum1 dressed up as a Singh comes onto a plane with a kirpaan and uses it in the wrong way?.. then we are definitely screwed...

if it will come, it will come in time... i mean we are just recently allowed to start wearin kirpaans in some places... even at work.. at first i used to wear it under my shirt, and tuck it into my pants... but as time went on, and i continued to interact with my co-workers, they know about Sikhi, and why we do certain things.. they also know I am amritdhari and wear all kakkars... now, i'm at a point where i have my kirpaan stickin out (not tucked into my pants) on the side... and they all know and don't mind... who knows, in some time maybe i'll be able to wear my gaatra on the outside of the shirt n what not..

but anywhoo... we should comply with this 'no kirpaans on planes' law.. all u have to know is to comply with them fully at the airport... especially travellin in the US...if you cooperate without any fuss then they don't give you trouble... the only thing i say at the airport is that i can't take off my kara, but they'ure understanding with that, as long as u aint wearin one'a them ones with the cuts in it.... ur attitude towards them determines a lot on how they treat you..

so jus smile :@

Chardi Kalaa!!

Vaheguru Jee Ka Khalsa, Vaheguru Jee Kee Fateh!!

Waheguroo jee ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo jee kee Fateh!

Just flew to Toronto and back, and this is the first time I have flown since 9/11 (when you could wear a kirpan, no problem).

I find it a little disconcerting, but its true, its for the safety of everybody, and its kept in a uniform way. So although I don't like it, I still follow the law because I know that by doing so, the safety of the aircraft is maintained (because NOONE has any weapons).

Waheguroo jee ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo jee kee Fateh!

I agree with you guys. Its all about your attitude. When I was returning to Oklahoma from California after my Amrit Sanchaar, I was myself a bit worried as to what would happen. I came from San Francisco airport. Before any trouble, I told them I was carrying 2 holy swords in my handbag. The 2 guys were Chinese and were very polite and co-operative. One of them even asked me "Can we touch it?". I let him make sure and he said politely that I couldn't take my handbag with my sri sahib on the plane, which I knew. So I agreed and everything worked out well. The last thing you wanna do is fight and create a fuss at the airpoer, making everyone feel Sikhs are some fundamental extremists who love violence and so are obsessed with their swords. Well we do love our kakaars, but lets not make a mockery of it and give other non-Sikhs a chance to point fingers. And yes my panj pyaare did say it was ok to take it off before boarding an aircraft, and probably even before entering certain high security government buildings.

i just took amrit this vaisakhi in India.. and while travelling back from Mumbai airport I was wearing my kirpan outside my shirt while I was checking in... the security guard politely told me paaji tusa di kirpaan vi checkin karni pavegi..

I knew I would be told that but was just taking a chance so that they know I have kirpan in my baggage..

I just did ardaas and kept it inside my baggage... and I dont think it will be possibe for someone like me not to eat while travelling back from india.. thats a long flight..

I totally agree with that some fake person might dress up like a sikh and run riot with his kirpan.. and thats the last thing we want... no.gif

Sat Sri Akal:

"Panga Paun Aagaya...Dangaa Tah Hun Hougaa"

As I see it, the entire security system is flawed and the only thing it does is create an "illusion" of security. Here's the truth...the creativity of the human mind is far beyond security checks and where there's a will, there's a way...9/11 should be proof positive of the creativity of humans at their worst. People who want to do bad things will ALWAYS find a way to do them, forget how many layers of security you add (more complexity=more loopholes to exploit too). Come on, you can take someone down with a BIC pen for God sakes!

It would be better if every passenger was armed in the flight than none at all if you are talking strictly security (yeah yeah, I know...the Sikh will be the first to get shot). If any of yous have ever been at an Indian airport, you know that bribery can get you anything anywhere.

Security can make you FEEL safe, but it cannot make you safe.

I am not criticizing anyone who is complying with the law, but understand the reality...what you think is making you safe is illusion at best.

Only solution is a Sikh Airlines...someone got a few billion lying around they want to put to use? :e:

WaheguruJi Ka Khalsa. WaheguruJi Ki Fateh.

Amazing incidences have taken place when I have worn my Sri Sahib into extremely high security zones. Once when I accompanied my wife's family in seeing her off at the airport, I was called into the check-in area to help her with the suitcases. I was wearing my Sri Sahib and I had to go through a body check and metal detector devices. It was not possible to remove my Sri Sahib and I headed to the security area with a silent prayer in my heart, asking the Guru to take over from there. The metal detector didn't beep, but I was body checked. Obviously, the Sri Sahib, which I was wearing underneath my shirt, was detected during the body check. He touched it and asked, 'What's this?' I told him that it was a requirement of my faith but isn't used to harm anyone. 'Does it come off?, he askd further on. I would never remove it without any viable cause, so something just made me reply in the negative. I was let in. I could hardly believe it. I was walking in the passenger check-in wearing a Sri Sahib! I could feel the Guru beside me.

In another incident, I was to enter a building that is high in security and I was body checked. I always wear my Sri Sahib underneath my shirt (which I do not tuck in). The security man clearly ran his hands over the Sri Sahib, but didn't question anything. Once again, Ardas to the Guru stands by the Sikh.

I yet another incident, a security man ran a metal detector over my clothing but wasn't able to detect anything. But when it comes to flying, I wouldn't want to risk other people's safety, though the Sri Sahib is for the safety of the self and for others. If it is a requirement not to wear it, an Ardas to the Guru takes care of everything – and makes perfect sense to simply enclose the Sri Sahib in the luggage that is checked in.

WaheguruJi Ka Khalsa. WaheguruJi Ki Fateh.

Sat Sri Akal:

"Panga Paun Aagaya...Dangaa Tah Hun Hougaa"

As I see it, the entire security system is flawed and the only thing it does is create an "illusion" of security. Here's the truth...the creativity of the human mind is far beyond security checks and where there's a will, there's a way...9/11 should be proof positive of the creativity of humans at their worst. People who want to do bad things will ALWAYS find a way to do them, forget how many layers of security you add (more complexity=more loopholes to exploit too). Come on, you can take someone down with a BIC pen for God sakes!

It would be better if every passenger was armed in the flight than none at all if you are talking strictly security (yeah yeah, I know...the Sikh will be the first to get shot). If any of yous have ever been at an Indian airport, you know that bribery can get you anything anywhere.

Security can make you FEEL safe, but it cannot make you safe.

I am not criticizing anyone who is complying with the law, but understand the reality...what you think is making you safe is illusion at best.

Only solution is a Sikh Airlines...someone got a few billion lying around they want to put to use? :e:

ms514 that post is indicative of insight to inspire a nation, keep it up!

By far, the scariest terrorists while on an airline are the airlines corporate terrorist number crunchers when it comes to parts and service of the plane.

i remove it because by obliging with the law, i help make my world a safer place to live in. I help contribute to safer skies, and I'm indirectly contributing to protecting the innocent, the defenseless and the meek. When I take my kirpan off, I'm acknowledging that I'm not going to make an issue about it, because anyone can DRESS the part as a sikh. All our rights and priviliges would be stripped and ripped if some random loser carries a kirpan onto the plane cuz it's allowed, but then stabs everyone in sight.... well we all know what would happen.

I take my kirpan off without a second thought because if I'm contributing to the safety of all of mankind, then I'm still fulfilling my duty as a Singh.

Your heart and mind are in the right place. You have a mind that is willing to solve the situations of real life with dilligence and intelligence. You are a man of virtue, duty and humble service.

In such ways, you are a true Khalsa.