Why Do Many Sikhs Consider Punjab Theirs?

Is Punjab for Sikhs alone?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Is it fair for the geographical territory of Khalistan to be that which is Punjab today?

• YES
    • NO

I am a Sikh, and I trace my ancestry from Punjab. I practice Sikhi and certain [accepted] practices of Punjabi culture. A question came to me recently: Are Sikhs a group of people (sort of like a race), or are Sikhs followers of a religious doctrine (anyone from anywhere can be a Sikh)? The answer seems quite obvious, but why then do many Sikhs consider Punjab a holy land? Why do people say "India and Hindus out of Punjab!" ? Why do people speak of Hindu nationalists attacking Punjab resulting in a religious affair? There is, I believe, no reason for Hindus not to live alongside Punjabi Sikhs. What if a European Sikh's father's grandfather's father was born in Europe; is Punjab of any importance to him? Punjab is a state of India, and it has [now to be considered limited] freedom of religion like other states. Why then do people consider Punjab the "property" of Sikhs? Just because many or most of our historical events took place in Punjab does not mean Punjab is ours; important events for Hindus and Muslims, too, took place there. Furthermore, when people speak of Khalistan as a separatist movement, why should the proposed territory be that which today is Punjab, when only recently have Sikhs populated it? Please do correct me if there is anything wrong with what I say; it would help me if I know where my faults lie. Thank You. :T:

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

KNH, I agre with you that there is no excuse at allfor anyoen to say "Hindus out of Punjab". There is absolutely no excues. Sikhi teaches toelrance, acceptence, equality etc.

The reason most Sikhs see Punjab as their property is due to two main reasons:

While negotiating for independence with the British, Sikhs were treated as a Third party, although their tiny amount...due to there immense contributions. Sikhs would get an area much much larger that Punjab is today. Unforunatly our leadesr screwed up..and accepted the empty promises of the likes of Jawaharlala Nehru chacha ji and Gandhi pita jee (lol), who promised that if SIkhs are not satisfied in India, they can have their own coutry.

As a matter of fact before the British annexed Punjab, Ranjit Singh controled punjab, so 'india' never was the rightful 'owner' or 'controler' of Punjab. It is only due to the immense contributions and ade by our leadesr such as Master Tara Singh Ji and Baba Balwant (it was something with a B..not sure if it was Balwant..or what it was) Singh Ji.

For the above mentioned reasons..Smany Sikhs feel that they are the rightful 'owners' of Punjab..and that they have been deprived of their rights..not only as rulers..but as Indian citizens..considering the unconsitutional army quotas, water transport from Punjab (Indian consitution gives all water rights to a riparian state)

There is however no reason why Sikhs acn say 'Hindus out of Punjab'

Bhull Chukk Maaf

Punjabi (BOTH the india and pakistan side) were promised to be given to Sikhs as their own homeland by Gandhi himself, if Sikhs stuck with them during the whole partition thing.... once partition happened, he turned a blind eye towards the Sikhs... that is one of the main reasons people want want the territory of Punjab to be Khalistan... and again, nobody can take away the Historical Significance of that territory... I personally feel that IF there WAS going to be a 'HOMELAND KHALISTAN', that it SHOULD be Punjab....

That being said, I don't think we deserve a Khalistan... Khalistan means 'LAND OF THE PURE'... we can't even get our own panth being run by Proper GURSIKHS, how are we going to get a COUNTRY run by corrupt people?... In my Humble Opinion, we must sort our own affairs before we start yelling 'khalistan zindabad' across the world... one step at a time, lets deal with our Gurdwaras, SGPC, and Akaal Takht First, once we get GURSIKHS running the Panth, then we can think of Khalistan..

bhul chuk maaf..

Vaheguru Jee Ka Khalsa, Vaheguru Jee Kee Fateh!!

In my Humble Opinion, we must sort our own affairs before we start yelling 'khalistan zindabad' across the world... one step at a time, lets deal with our Gurdwaras, SGPC, and Akaal Takht First, once we get GURSIKHS running the Panth, then we can think of Khalistan..

Yes lets waste another 20 years organsiing things, by that time like my grandparents (who've died waiting for Khalistan) we'll all be budhe and ready for to lie on our death beds!!!

WE NEED KHALISTAN TODAY NOT 50 YEARS TIME!!!! :@:)

The jews uprooted and left for Isreal what did they have??NOTHING - They've settled. Ok they have problems with Palestianians.

• 2 weeks later...

Punjab sikh about 62%

Hindus about 34%

And rest r other religion

Up to this year there are about 35 lakh (3.5 million) people from othere states in Punjab all Hindu and more r still coming

The Sikhs from Punjab r migrating to Europe or other countries

One third of the Punjab’s youth is on drugs.

There are 100’s of deres who r brainwashing Sikhs

…Punjab is going through a turmoil we should be all getting our heads together to find a solution.

........& its not khalistan (not right now)

Guest PunjabSingh

WJKK WJKF,

Actual Khalistan is what we call pre-partition Punjab which includes East and West Punjab .

Whether or how or if we include East Punjab is a seperate issue.

No one advocating Khalistan says that they are going to drive out Hindus or others out of Khalistan but

there certainly will be no bahmanvaadi sarkar .

I was just listening to Giana Sant Singh Maskin jee's katha on "Hindu Andha,Turku kaana' which are the words said by Bhagat Naamdev in Guru Granth Sahib.

Bhagat Namdev was himself a Hindu but he says "Hindu Andha,Turku Kaana...'

All should listen to Maskeen jee's discourse at the following URL which is very educative :

http://www.khalsaforce.net/andromedia/audi...&f=/Hindu+Andha

Thanks to Khalsa force for giving us this audio.

So the Govt will certainly not be given in the hands of the Andha(Blind).

Only Andhay give votes to Andhays and ultimately the Sarkaar will also be Andhee(Blind)..he says.

The govt will be formed according to the principles of Shri Guru Granth Sahib .

Everyone will enjoy equal rights.We can say it will be a haleemi raaj .

Any other views,suggestions are welcome.

das nimana

Lets just for a second pretend that India announces that it’s going to declare Punjab a sovereign state.

……would Pakistan ever agree to let go its side of Punjab no.gif

& who would govern Khalistan.

… Right now Punjab doesn’t even have any resources to give its population 24 hour electricity supply.

…..there is virtually no industry

……and compare to other states where before Punjabis were highly educated now they come on bottom of the list

….nothing is done without giving any bribe of some sort.

…I’m being realistic as long as the foundations of a tree are not very strong it’s bound to fall one day.

Guest PunjabSingh

Jai ho,

People including kachay Sikhs always make out some reason to not let the Sikhs be independent and they give various reasons to prove that Khalistan is not viable .You have also done the same.

….nothing is done without giving any bribe of some sort

I fail to understand what you wish to convey by this.Do you want to say that Sikhs will try to get Khalistan by bribing ? or you want to say that there will be bribery in Khalistan ?

If you are in Punjab then you must be aware who is the root cause of this bribery ..the present day national(indian) level political parties ie congress,bjp,badal & company.

There is no scope for such parties in a haleemi raaj under the Shri Guru Granth Sahib and Akaal Takht Sahib.

At present the Akaal Takht is under RSS hence the difficulties we are facing.

Khalistan can itself establish industries we dont need people like Ambani(Reliance),Trident(Gupta) who want to steal our mother (earth) from us .Paani(water) has already been stolen by bahmans.

Shri Guru Granth Sahib says:

"Pawan Guru,Paani pita,Mata dhart mahat"

They want to steal everything from us but we'll not let it happen.

I’m being realistic as long as the foundations of a tree are not very strong it’s bound to fall one day

Jai ho,it is time to worry about your tree now.

Im now being very realistic and as long as the foundations of a tree are not very strong it’s bound to fall one day.

No nation can survive only by using arms against civilians to steal their rights .

Lets just for a second pretend that India is history or ceases to exist which is very likely .

The whole world now knows that India was kept together just for the sake of governance after the sake of governance only and it was always "United States of India".

Coming to the present day you must be knowing,unless you are sleeping, that whole of India is facing resistance .

15 states are in the grip of naxalite movements.Assam,Kashmir,Punjab,Nagaland,Tamil ,whole of North East India want freedom from the Bahman yolk.

Now you yourself count what you have left behind.

Bahmans who constitute about 8%(some even say 2%) control 15% of the top jobs in every field and also control the political system.

So jai ho,many others besides the above mentioned states are against Bahman (Hindu Andhaa).

You dont worry who will govern Khalistan.Khalistan will be governed from Akaal Takht Sahib or Panj Pyaras whatever.You worry who will govern Khalistan ,that is Khalistan's problem the "chappa" land which is left with "Hindustan" or better say "Bahministan".

Hindustan should take a lesson from their former partners of which they were very proud ie Soviet Union,Yugoslavia etc which are history now .

'Sikh Baagi ya Baadshah'

'If a Sikh is not Khalistani,he's not a Sikh '...Prof Darshan Singh,Former Jathedar of Akal Takht Sahib.

Jithay v Shaheedaan da khoon dulya hovay os thaan tay Azaadi nay auna he auna hai

Khalistan vaastay apniyaan jaanaa vaaran walay Samooh Singhan Singhniyaan nu kot kot parnaam d_oh.gif

Raj Karega Khalsa,

Khalistan Zindabaad.