Jakara Movement

s_kaur_d

Sorry but where is the lack of self respect there, I didn't notice what you did.

I'm not saying this for debate but is that not a group of girls with good intentions but lack of knowledge on sikhi grouping together to stand for their rights?

What is this "Kaur Voices" ? I am not in favor of the existence of female groups. Not to say I am sexist, but I think what we need now more than ever is unity. If seminar is to be held, or a society is to be formed, why should it favor the people of one gender? Sikh communities should be made to discuss Sikh problems, not girl problems. Double-standards do exist that are against men. Ignored will be such complaints in a female-governed society. If I am wrong, please correct me; I am so against people preaching that women need more rights, because such discussions usually end with people thinking women are BETTER and not EQUAL to men.

self-respect as in those girls/women, often not religious, who use the Sikh identity as an ethinicity and go contary to the teachings of the faith (ie go clubbing, drink alcohol, dress like tarts -no modesty, sleep about,etc)

These kind of issues that make girls of punjabi/Indian sikh background look cheap therefore losing their respect from guys who will use and abuse them because they do not have self-respect for themselves.

What is this "Kaur Voices" ? I am not in favor of the existence of female groups. Not to say I am sexist, but I think what we need now more than ever is unity. If seminar is to be held, or a society is to be formed, why should it favor the people of one gender? Sikh communities should be made to discuss Sikh problems, not girl problems. Double-standards do exist that are against men. Ignored will be such complaints in a female-governed society. If I am wrong, please correct me; I am so against people preaching that women need more rights, because such discussions usually end with people thinking women are BETTER and not EQUAL to men.

Exactly... this jakara movement will create more problems than it will solve if soley involves one gender to their agenda.

This is from their site

"What are the corporate responsibilities of the Sikh Qaum? We do not claim to have the answers, but are trying to provide a forum where these ideas can be discussed and entertained. We do not believe that the corporate responsibility is to have everyone keep their hair; this is people's individual responsibilities not the responsibility of the whole. The corporate responsibilities involve the pursuit of justice, liberty, freedom, fraternity, and equality (to only name a few). Jakara does not seek to enforce some type of personal puritanism, but rather focus on issues that deal with the Qaum as a whole."

From this we can see the type of people who founded the organisation and involved in it. And I believe in one of their video ads for the event. They used a clip where a young woman says something about she should be allowed to wear mini skirt to bars or something like that. Again we can see self-respect is the issue, when females do not have respect for themselves which guy is gonna respect them if they look and behave like tarts?