"rakhree"

raj001

Guest Narinder Singh

[

Honestly, do you sit on tables and chairs in langar? I do when I go, and I aint ashamed. :TH:

but but but is that not against Sikhism ??? :@ @

as long as some don't and some do.. i guess... your right, there wasnt any chairs/tables in gurus days.. but niether was electricty or running water :D

There werent any tables n chairs during Guru times??? Dude chairs n tables came into play over a thousands years ago, and there wasnt any running water?? Sikhi isn't 5,000 years old.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok.

I guess we all believe, that rakhree is not part of sikhi.

Now the thought of whether or not to keep it going just to keep somebody happy? Let me share my own story.

I came into sikhi guru kirpa naal 4 yrs ago. I known reli little about sikhi and no body in my family was religious. No amritdharis. No one in my family that was the sons/daughters of guru gobind singh and mata sahib kaur ji. Rakhree was one thing we practised every year. I would get not only my sisters but also my cousin sisters from here and in india mailing in or coming to tie rakhree on me. BUt i was never given a definition of why we do it but simply, shes your sister, its to show love and connection..

love and connection eh ? wheres the love and connection when we need to show our father/mother dhan guru gobind singh and dhan mata sahib kaur ?? so its reli easy to show it through a thread and start arguing on that since its much easier to show it that way but when it comes to being guru de pyarai gursikh of our father/mother we dun even think about it .... if you REALLY want to show some love.. follow what our father guru gobind singh ji and mother mata sahib kaur ji has told us ALL to do, which is to take amrit..

wheres the love and connection there ?

Badgirl, if your mom got sent back a rakhree, and it hurt her, what about the countless millions that have thrown back guru sahibs hukam of being his children ? Im sorry but if we cant follow that, this is nothing!

Back to my story..

so i did rakhree the year i took amrit, jsut cuz i was pressured cuz my family thought theres nothing wrong.. i still had not much knowledge of sikhi at that time as i was still learning.. the next year the same thing.. the 3rd year .. guru kirpa naal i decided i wouldnt tie one and instead of putting up a argument or something i would sit down and explain ..

i told my sisters that if its about the sweets i would get wahtever.. the money, no problem.. presents, no problem, but i would not tie a stupid thread on my wrist ! .. they agreed not to tie it but still were sad the fact i wouldnt tie one..i think they even tied one on each other in my name .. and slowly we told our cousins that i wouldnt tie one and they were quite upset as well .. keep in mind i have a very strong cultural family rather then a religious one.. and a year later .. one of my sisters took amrit and now guru kirpa naal we will not be tieing knots on our wrists but rather get together to sing bani and do simran which is the most highest respectable thing to do in terms of 'rakhiaa' .. protection.. we seek from guru sahib and no one else!

a thread means nothing.. rather then to 'give in' if you KNOW its not part of sikhi .. u sit down and talk to them .. you wana show love and connection ebtween brother and sister .. try and remember guru sahib and 4 sahibzade and the amount of sacrifices they have done .. and not for a stupid string..

educate one another.. and im sure they will understand..

bhul chuka maaph..

says who ??? :D @

says who??? blush.gif

says who??? grin.gif

that lot in india that said no tables or chairs !!!!!!!!!!!

that loveley lot in india who are the final throne in sikhism

that lot that pass the final rules for every guduwara....

to which, us lot in the west do not adhear to !!! we dont care what that lot say ..we will do as we please.

u know they said it ....... but do we listen ? so tell me whats the point

if we dont listen to them ?????

the

Akal Takht in Amritsar d_oh.gifd_oh.gifd_oh.gif

said so !! that who...!!!

d_oh.gif Sorry! I hard a hard time reading into you. At first I thought you were a "plant". If you know what I mean. LOL.gifLOL.gif

Guest HaRdKaUrWaRrIoRz

apprecitating family is different than ingraining the idea of men being superior to women into the minds of kids. i dont remember tying a thread around my mom's wrist and asking her for money .......what the he**???it's so ritualistic and sounds stupid...Guru ji gave us the oppurtunity to be lions but we want to be strung down like cattle while the indian government whips us.......how sad is that??

Its simple.. you guys are clashing culture with religion. Days like rakhri day etc have no importance in sikhism. Yeah if its in your culture and lives in india then i guess you can celebrate your culture but it doesn't hold any supernatural power or anything which fools ppls of female protection etc..

And those who do not follow hukamnama of Sri Akal Takht and continue to eat langar on table/chairs are not included in the mainstream of real sikh kaum. Your suggestions, input will never be taken into consideration in any sikh issues whether its Akal takht governing body or other takhts.

my maternal uncle (mamaji, a so called amritdhari from Ontario, also a khalistan supporter lol) mailed back the Rakhree sent by my mom last year, this made my mom very upset. we all know that its not a part of Sikhi but still he could have respected the feelings of his sis. being too much religious to do little compromises over ur loved ones is really rediculous. but oh well therez no point of discussing over such things coz religious ppl r more stubborn than liberals.

You can't compromise to please those that don't have the same belief of Sikhi as those that do. It's not accepted by Waheguru!

yo lion child

but may be your in the new culture

of tables and chairs in yor gurudwara? LOL.gif

Honestly, do you sit on tables and chairs in langar? I do when I go, and I aint ashamed. :TH:

Hindu practices such as Lakhri/Divali are not in the same league as tables and chairs in the Gurdwara!

The Hindu practices need to be eradicated!

so according to the above logic should we celebrate fathers or mothers day?

These are not religious rituals!

Hindu practices such as Lakhri/Divali are not in the same league as tables and chairs in the Gurdwara!

chairs and table are hindu now?

Well we really have to think about this... we all want to argue about tables n' chairs, yet we allow electricty and tv screens, which were not in guru's days (human form). Also, was microphones and speakers? we may just wieve thsoe out of the way, but really... are those really also just acceptable? then we turn around and argue over this.. it's confusing for many people.

chairs and table are hindu now?

Well we really have to think about this... we all want to argue about tables n' chairs, yet we allow electricty and tv screens, which were not in guru's days (human form). Also, was microphones and speakers? we may just wieve thsoe out of the way, but really... are those really also just acceptable? then we turn around and argue over this.. it's confusing for many people.

No, if you read what i've said Hindu practices such as Lakhri/Divali are not in the same league as tables and chairs in the Gurdwara!

From the comments made by Manjot and Bad Girl, I think its plain for all to see that they are trying to mix culture and religion together. This does not work. Oil and water springs to mind. The event is known as Raksha Bandhan. The sister ties the string in order to protect the brother from harm. This can be easily derived from the words 'Raksha Bandhan.' We as Sikh's do not need a piece of string to protect us from harm. The only protection for us is Waheguru.

As a message for the whole sangat, do not try and combine religion and culture, it hardly ever works. A few examples:

Panjabi culture believes in caste and a number of panjabi people will never marry out of 'caste'. Sikhi is against this ridiculous caste system.

Panjabi people are renowned for their hardcore drinking of alcohol. However, we know that any form of intoxicants are contrary to Sikhi.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh!