"rakhree"

raj001

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rakhi is against principle of sikhi because a sister ties thread on wrist of her brother which means that he will protect her no matter what. But doesn't this show weakness of womanhood? In sikhism everyone is equal and women have equal rights as men.Women wear kirpans like men and are expected to protect themselves.Don't you know what Mata Bhag Kaur did and don't forget sacrifice of Mata Jindan (Jind Kaur). Women are not weak they are equally strong. In sikhi women are not expected look upon their husbands to protect them. If that was the case then what would be the point of wearing kirpans? Guru Gobind Singh Ji said when all other means have failed it is your right to draw a sword. So let it be that way. How would you know your brother would really help you in danger. What if he's not there to help you or runs away. Guruji ordered khalsa to practice arms and be able to protect yourselves. This applies to both men and women or Singhs and Kaurs.

So why do we keep performing these useless rituals when our Gurus have clearly ordered us not to do so?

Why are we bent on sending a messege to people that sikhism is also a part of useless hinduism by celebrating these festivals which are of no importance to us but on otherhand are a direct violation of our rehat. A giani of our nearby gurdwara sahib was telling me that some people are such a big fools that they even tie rakhis to Dhan Dhan Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji's palki.......may waheguru show them the right path.

So let's be wise and respect Gurus' orders and boycott rakhis and also encourage other fellow sikhs and stop following Bipran ki Reet.

Now sumone plz donn try to celebrate BIPRAN KI REET especially so called "LIBERAL SIKHS"

Amrit World ji

I wana learn about this event you talk about

Sikh celebrate this day as 'Rakharh Punneya' at 'Baba Bakala'. It is a major Sikh festival.

I never heard it before or i may jsut not know about it. Can you explain more in detail what happened on that day and why is it celebrated and in celebration what do sikhs do ?

It is not a Sikh festival, it is not a Hindu festival. It is an Indian festival. So far as 'Rakharh Punneya' is concerned, Sikhs do celebrate it and it is a major festival in Punjab. We do not need to confirm it from anybody living outside Punjab.

u cant assosiate all indian festivals with sikhs.

rakhar punea is something related to moon.

and sikhism dnt believe in all that bamanvad.

there are alots of indian festivals, mostly related to hinduism.

and i beleve that this rakri festival is based on the cleverness.

see how clever is the queen of chittor who went to himayu for protection.

i read that story in school time also.

before going to bind him a rakhri she was making scheems, how to protect her kingdom.

then she got ideas from some of her ministers and she went to himayu with fake emotions of love.

read this from a site:

In 300BC when King Alexander attached India, he stepped back by the heroic effort by the Indian King Puru for the first time. Knowing this Wife of Alexander approached King Puru with Rakhi and King Puru accepted her as sister. After that when next war took place King Puru kept the promise made to her Greek sister and refrained from King Alexander. This is the oldest incident came to know about Raksha Bandhan.

In 15th century the Raksha Bandhan come up with a new dimension when Famous Mughal emperor Humayun got a Rakhi from Rani Karnawatee of Chittor. The incident happens when Bahadur Shah, The Sultan of Gujrat invaded Chittor and just widowed queen of Maharaja of Chittor found no way to defend, she sent a Rakhi to Mughal Badshah Humayun, and touched by the warmth of the brother sister relationship Badshah Humayun marched for Chittor to save Rani Karnawatee.

The most recent reference of Raksha Bandhan as social revolutionary ritual found when in 1905 British empire decided to break Bengal, a state of British India in parts in basis of religion. Kaviguru Rabindra Nath Tagore arranged a ceremony to celebrate Raksha Bandhan to unite both Hindu and Muslim people of Bengal and launch a protest against British empire.

Raksha Bandhan basically celebrated in full moon called "Rakhi Purnima". In different parts of India Raksha Bandhan celebrated in different names.

In northern and western part of India Rakhi celebrated in "Rakhi Purnima".

In Western Ghats it calls "Nariyel Purnima" to signify the full moon like coconut.

In southern part of the India Rakhi celebrated as "Avani Avittam / Upakarmam".

Central India celebrates it as "Kajari Purnima".

Far western part of the India celebrates it as "Pavitrapana".

now also KARWACHOUTH is an indian festival and related to hinuism now will u laso say that sikh wives shud keep that fast for the long life of their husbands?????

same is the case of rakhri.

WOW d_oh.gif

i did not know that....

i always used it as a final excuess to see sis........ LOL.gif .

khalsa ji

as she lives in another country...............i make that trip special just for 1 day, abut i still love her all yeay round.

may be i stand corrected. :TH:

WOW d_oh.gif

i did not know that....

i always used it as a final excuess to see sis........ LOL.gif .

khalsa ji

as she lives in another country...............i make that trip special just for 1 day, abut i still love her all yeay round.

may be i stand corrected. :TH:

i juz want to say its not the part of sikhism and sikh shud boycott this.

its not a part of Sikhism, but oh well its a symbol of love between bro sis, so i dont see anything bad in celebrating it :D

Jab Eh Gaye Bipran Ki Reet , Mein Na Karoon In Ki Parteet "

When the Khalsa follows the ways of the Brahman i shall not protect them!

It's hinduism and little girls like you won't understand it...

As I have said, it is 'Indian'. It is not 'American'. Where in Vedas Rakharhi is mentioned, if it is Hindu thing?

It is between a brother and a sister. Even Humayun cared when a Hindu girl tied him a 'Rakhrhi'. Yes, it is between a brother and a sister. Others are not allowed even to make comments.

It is not a Sikh festival, it is not a Hindu festival. It is an Indian festival. So far as 'Rakharh Punneya' is concerned, Sikhs do celebrate it and it is a major festival in Punjab. We do not need to confirm it from anybody living outside Punjab.

No Guru's particpated in Rakhi so why should the Sikhs!!

rakhree is against sikhi principles. a sikh women is a lioness, she doesnt need her brother to protect her, instead you guys can do sukhmani sahib paat for each other..but not b/c it's rakhri, but b/c it's outta love for each other...tying a piece of thread thas gonna fall off in two days is pointless, is the thread gonna stay with your soul?? this is pointless...Gursikh families that i've talked to dont do this

They are the Khalsa that Guruji moulded. Eradicate all hindu/muslim rituals from Sikhi

wow.. are we really argueing over a piece of string now??

It's things like these that bring us into Hindusim. They need to be addressed