Sarbloh Bibek

Guest ???

How exactly can a Khalsa claim to be Tyaar Bar Tyaar if they are not even self sufficient? A Khalsa should be able to survive on their own, cook their own food, etc as they are part of Guru Sahib's army who do not need to rely on anyone.

Just as with all Rehats we should constantly be working to better ourselves - eg wake up earlier, do more Simran, wear Bana as much as possible. If we are eating from restaurants etc we can start bettering ourselves by only eating from home, then learn to cook ourselves, and eventually cut out all non-Bibeki foods and eat only from Sarbloh.

It's lazy to say "It is too difficult or it is not a must so therefore I dont even have to try". We should TRY as hard as possible in our circumstances - there were Mahapurakhs who were not Kattar Sarbloh Bibeki but that doesnt mean we should use it to justify our own lack of Rehat - we should put effort into bettering ourselves no matter what. A Rehat is a Rehat.

Where does it say to keep sarbloh bibek??? Only some rehatnamas mention it. They also mention to take some opium and bhung. So you can't accept anything blindly. Sarbloh is not a rehat of Khalsa. I will post a scan from Gurmat Maartund about it some time in the future. It is part of Vaishnav Mutt. Singhs used it in old times because it wasn't expensive and no one wanted was after it.

Jus to add, from thingz i've heard and my own personal belief, 'back in the dayz' it was only practical to be Sarbloh Bibek... it was alwayz war times, so Gursikhs needed to be able to care fa themselves... it was most practical to cook and eat fa yaself or from other Gursikhs, 'cause back then, as we all know, there was a price on the head of a Sikh.. so one'a the easiest ways to kill a Sikh without any physical confrontation was to poison da food... if there was poison in the food, for example, the Sarbloh Kirpaan would turn a different colour when Bhog was done of Langar/Degh.. not only that, there wasn't alwayz access to food back then either, so there was a good chance of Gursikhs being low on Iron... using Iron utensils puts iron in ur food which is good for the body.. also, usin ur own utensils would be most practical as well 'cause Gursikhs were alwayz in jungles n travellin n what not... so they didn't alwayz have access to utensils that normally would be used in towns/cities...

i'm sure there's other reasons n what not.. but this is jus to give y'all a lil picture of why it coulda been done 'back in the day'... this is not to say that keepin Bibek isn't important... it is beneficial for us... but i's not mandatory...

Chardi Kalaa!!

Vaheguru Jee Ka Khalsa, Vaheguru Jee Kee Fateh!!

Sarbloh is great!! Guru sahib himself does ustat of the power and says akal purakh himself resides in sarbloh. The power of sarbloh around your body and in your blood when doing naam simran is indescribable!

I think for most of us its hard to understand, so I can explain it in western though/science. Most of the time (if you watch documenteries and things u will know) spirituality is related to our magnetic field around our body. We all have an electro magnetic field around us. Increases in this field have been measured when french nuns and tibetan monks were studied while praying. Ghost hunters also use machines that can read electromagnetic fields to find ghosts.

anyway, all magnets are made from iron, iron is a metal with such a property that it effects magnetic fields in a special way. So gurbani says everything is made up of naam, naam vibrates in everything. There is a new quantum theory out that says all sub-atomic particals (proton, neurtrons, electrons) are made up of strings that are vibrating.. if you were to read a paper on this you would think of so many gurbani shabads! This single vibration is permeating everything.. so the answer science doesnt have is what is this vibration? NAAM!!

So I think Sarbloh channels naam a lot better than anything else and having sarbloh around us and in us helps us channel our bhagti easier.

Sarbloh has great and indescribable powers and is very beloved to our guru sahib.

(Note: I intend to replace this short post with a fully researched essay.)

from www.mkhalsa.com

i dont have very much giaan, but i can try explainin this rehit if Guroo Sahib Jee does kirpaa...

if u read puraathan rehithnaamae, a few of them actually do mention sarabloh, i think Piaaraa Bhai Daya Singh Jee, wrote one. i dont remember the actual quote in punjaabee, but it translated into 'they wear blue clothes, and eat out of iron. This is the image of God's followers.' alrite Khalsa fauj jee has a point, that many rehithnaamay promote opium n bhang etc, other anti-gurmat practises. as Manvir Singh Jee says, we should use GurbaaNee as the litmus test for all sakhis n rehithnaamay. the use of opium n bhang is obviously not allowed in gurmat.

if u read books written by ppl like cunnignham, who came from england to observe india n stuff, he says that the sikhs would not eat food prepared by anyone except other gursikhs. this is 100 or so years ago n i think proves that bibek is a puraathan rehith. he also says that the sikhs in the south (Hazoor Sahib) are evn more strict, and only eat out of iron utensils. The wording and stuff might have been different, but it was to the same effect.

the reason given for sarabloh bibek is becuase, like manjot singh jee said in the above quote, it helps channel naam alot better than anything else, NAAM is the reason we are here!we're sent to the earth to jap NAAM!!!! we should do everything to help our Naam Bhagthee. we should keep very strict rehith, we're here to plz Guroo Jee, not the world, rehith may b hard, but wwe cant pik n choose.

BgqwkIcwlinrwlI ]

bhagathaa kee chaal niraalee ||

The lifestyle of the devotees is unique and distinct.

cwlwinrwlIBgqwhkyrIibKmmwrigclxw ]

chaalaa niraalee bhagathaah kaeree bikham maarag chalanaa ||

The devotees' lifestyle is unique and distinct; they follow the most difficult path.

lbuloBuAhMkwruqijiqRsnwbhuqunwhIbolxw ]

lab lobh aha(n)kaar thaj thrisanaa bahuth naahee bolanaa ||

They renounce greed, avarice, egotism and desire; they do not talk too much.

KMinAhuiqKIvwlhuinkIeyqumwrigjwxw ]

kha(n)niahu thikhee vaalahu nikee eaeth maarag jaanaa ||

The path they take is sharper than a two-edged sword, and finer than a hair.

gurprswdIijnIAwpuqijAwhirvwsnwsmwxI ]

gur parasaadhee jinee aap thajiaa har vaasanaa samaanee ||

By Guru's Grace, they shed their selfishness and conceit; their hopes are merged in the Lord.

khYnwnkucwlBgqwjughujuguinrwlI ]14]

kehai naanak chaal bhagathaa jugahu jug niraalee ||14||

Says Nanak, the lifestyle of the devotees, in each and every age, is unique and distinct. ||14||

many ppl start thinkin that sarabloh bibek is hindufied, n that ppl who keep this rehith think they are better than evry1 else n harshly reject ne1 who offers them food. in hinduism, low castes cant cook for high castes simply bcuz of birth, they never will b 'worthy' to cook for the high caste. Guroo Sahib rejects that. Bibek is not like that, every1 is welcome and encouraged to become khalsa. n sikhee teaches humility, so n1 who keeps this rehith shouldnt think they are better than others, it is only with Guroo Jee's kirpaa that they are, wut they are. People who keep bibek dont have to harshly refuse food n hurt the feelings of those offerin it. they can calmly n politely explain why they do wut they do. One thing for sure though, amritvela is absolutely necessary for those who want to keep this rehith, thers no point without it. but like the Gurmukhs b4 sed, one dhil in rehith should not lead to another dhil. we should work to remove ourselves of all dhil in rehith.

Many ppl have the common misconception that Sarabloh Bibek is an akj/tapoban thing. this is NOT true. MANY taksali's used to keep this rehith, Baba Gurbachan Singh Jee Bhindranwale was sarablohee, this rehith has slowly died down tho. some nihungs also keep this rehith. many other gursikhs keep this rehith as well..so it is a PANTHIC rehith. many ppl will argue n say taht our rehith is the one published by sgpc, but that thats just the MINIMUM. Baba Bhupinder Singh Jee RaaRaa Sahib vaalae once told a sakhee at a Gurduaaraa in edmonton. i belve a sevak named dayaalaa daas jee came to Guroo Gobind Singh Jee n sed, ive prepared prashada paaNee for u n the singhs. Guroo Sahib explained to dayaalaa daas jee, that Akaal Purakh has made the rehith maryaadaa for the Sikhs and that if u want to prepare prashaadaa paaNee for the Singhs, then u must become a Gursikh n take Khande Kee Paahul. Dyaaalaa Daas jee replied that he has already taken Charanamrit so he doesnt need to take Khande Batay dhaa amrit. Guroo Sahib explained to him that Akaal Purakh has changed the maryada n now it is necessary to take Khande batay dha amrit if u want to prepare parshadha paaNee for the singhs.

i later asked Baba Bhupinder Singh Jee about this rehith, he just simply sed to me that this is Akaal Purakhs maryada, who r we to question it.

At the end of the day, i think things like this n Naam DhriR are things that need to b experienced. we can talk n talk about them, but its different if we actually experience them. try keepin a pukka amritvela with at least an hour of Naam Abhiyaas without Sarabloh Bibek, n then try a week of the same, WITH Sarabloh Bibek. experience the difference for urself.

im sure ive made coutless mistakes, plz forgive me n feel free to correct me where im wrong

Bhull Chuk Maph Karnee

Individuals that wish to keep Sarbloh Rehaat I agree should do so by being mindful of the way they reject offer of food from others.

My question however is how strict can you be? A simple illustration of the fact that milk doesnt come straight from the cow into the Sarbloh baataa and instead in this day and age gets put in a plastic milk container. Every item of food that we purchase has been handled by 'non-amritdharis' now unless you own a farm and eat from there how does it work practically. If it simply the act of pouring the milk into a Sarbloh container and then drinking from it doesnt this seem a bit ritualistic?

Also many women that do Langar the seva in Gurdwara are not amritdhari does that mean that you wont eat Langar? When someone gives you food pyaar deh naal is it wrong to accept it?

If people want to Sarbloh Rehaat that is their option and no-one should judge them but then it works both ways.

As an amritdhari that works in the corporate world I demonstrate my sikhi by being me but that does not mean I will allienate myself from my goreeh workers because I will not eat with them at restaurants. Guru ji has said that we should not hide away from the world but should embrace reality and spread the light of sikhi to all people.

My reasoning on this matter is that throughout my life I have come across beautiful people who are intune with God but have never heard of sikhi - does that make them unpure?

Individuals that wish to keep Sarbloh Rehaat I agree should do so by being mindful of the way they reject offer of food from others.

Most people who keep Sarbloh Bibek are indeed quite mindful of how they keep this rehit in the face of "offending" others. Most do not make a public show of it and they don't inform people by announcing aloud that they are not partaking in the food.

My question however is how strict can you be? A simple illustration of the fact that milk doesnt come straight from the cow into the Sarbloh baataa and instead in this day and age gets put in a plastic milk container.

Every person keeping Sarbloh Bibek rehit does so to the best of their ability and as "strictly" as they can. Where they can milk a cow themselves, they may do so. Where they have to unfortunately depend on milk available in plastic containers, they boil it in Sarbloh before consuming. If it's ritualistic to you, so be it. They do it out of pyaar for Guru Sahib and obedience to His rehit, and they make do with what they can. They avoid food that has been handled by non-amritdharis to the best of their ability and use only raw dry ingredients.

Also many women that do Langar the seva in Gurdwara are not amritdhari does that mean that you wont eat Langar? When someone gives you food pyaar deh naal is it wrong to accept it?

Guru Sahib has given Gursikhs this rehit "pyaar deh naal". Will you reject this rehit to save face in society and to avoid offending non-amritdhari women preparing langar, or will you reject the langar which has not been prepared according to Guru Sahib's maryada and thus offend Guru Sahib who gave you the rehit "pyaar deh naal" ? If someone gives you a chicken leg when you're a strict vegetarian, will you accept it and eat it if it's offered with "love"? How about sharaab? A cigarette? What if someone lovingly asks me to cut my hair? To me, love would mean understanding and respect for my views. Love in a Gursikhi perspective would mean loving Guru Sahib and his rehits above all else. To Guru Sahib, rehit matters above all else, not you simply calling yourself a Sikh. In other words, you have to walk it, not just talk it. "Rehit pyaari mujh ko, Sikh pyaara nahe"

As an amritdhari that works in the corporate world I demonstrate my sikhi by being me but that does not mean I will allienate myself from my goreeh workers because I will not eat with them at restaurants. Guru ji has said that we should not hide away from the world but should embrace reality and spread the light of sikhi to all people.

As an amritdhari who is also actively engaged in a non-Sikh society, I am not alienated one bit, although I do keep Sarbloh Bibek rehits with Guru Sahib's kirpa. To me, eating in a restaurant with my collegues is not what draws the line between being alienated or "embarcing reality to spread the light of Sikhi". I never go out with my friends or collegues, I don't dine with them or party with them either, yet I would say that I very successfully spread Sikhi amongst them and teach them about who I am WITHOUT giving up anything that makes me who I am. Many of them are well aware of my rehit, yet never have they been offended or felt I was weird or alienating myself. I don't compromise on my rehit because pleasing Guru Sahib is number one in my list of priorities, so if it means offending my friends and coworkers, so be it, but really, it's about respecting yourself, Guru Sahib, and getting respect in return for being steadfast in your faith. As long as I don't offend Guru Sahib, he takes care of all else. Refusing to dine with friends doesn't mean I'm hiding from the world. You seem to have a very narrow view of how to engage with society.