Praise And Slander

Haych Singh

What does Guroo Sahib say about Praise and Slander?

Guru sahib has said in Gurbaanee that praise is as bad as slandering, if not worse, the wise being looks at these as being the same.

How is praise so bad?

There are 3 types of praise, firstly praising a Human to his/her face; this is not good for both beings. We are lighting the inner fires of Ego when we praise people to their face, they automatically think they are better than you and everybody else around them. This could cause them to look down on others for a mistake we have made by praising them. Sometimes a pat on the back is good for great work, but a wise-man is compassionate and is aware the fire of Ego is close at hand, so the Gursikh will not even give the pat on the back. Some people will call this ignorant, but Guru Sahib calls it wise, as Guru Sahib teaches his followers to live in Bhaanaa (the sweet will)and let be.

(Ang 362)

ਮਨਮੁਖ ਮਰਹਿ ਮਿਰ ਮਰਣੁ ਿਵਗਾੜਿਹ ॥

munumukh murehi mar murun vigaarrehi

The self-willed manmukhs are dying; they are wasting away in death.

ਦੂਜੈ ਭਾਇ ਆਤਮ ਸੰਘਾਰਹਿ ॥

dhoojai bhaae aathum sunghaarehi

In the love of duality, they murder their own souls.

ਮੇਰਾ ਮੇਰਾ ਕਰਿ ਕਿਰ ਿਵਗੂਤਾ ॥

maeraa maeraa kar kar vigoothaa

Crying out, ""Mine, mine!"", they are ruined.

ਆਤਮੁ ਨ ਚੀਨ੍ਹ੍ਹੈ ਭਰਮੈ ਵਿਿਚ ਸੂਤਾ ॥੧॥

aathum n cheenuai bhurumai vich soothaa

They do not remember their souls; they are asleep in superstition. ||1||

ਮਰੁ ਮੁਇਆ ਸਬਦੇ ਮਰਿ ਜਾਇ ॥

mur mueiaa subudhae mar jaae

He alone dies a real death, who dies in the Word of the Shabad.

ਉਸਤਤਿ ਿਨੰਦਾ ਗੁਿਰ ਸਮ ਜਾਣਾਈ ਇਸੁ ਜੁਗ ਮਿਹ ਲਾਹਾ ਹਿਰ ਜਿਪ ਲੈ ਜਾਇ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥

ousuthath nindhaa gur sum jaanaaee eis jug mehi laahaa har jap lai jaae

The Guru has inspired me to realize, that praise and slander are one and the same; in this world, the profit is obtained by chanting the Name of the Lord. ||1||Pause||

ਨਾਮ ਵਿਹੂਣ ਗਰਭ ਗਿਲ ਜਾਇ ॥

naam vihoon gurubh gal jaae

Those who lack the Naam, the Name of the Lord, are dissolved within the womb.

ਬਿਰਥਾ ਜਨਮੁ ਦੂਜੈ ਲੋਭਾਇ ॥

biruthaa junum dhoojai lobhaae

Useless is the birth of those who are lured by duality.

ਨਾਮ ਬਿਹੂਣੀ ਦੁਿਖ ਜਲੈ ਸਬਾਈ ॥

naam bihoonee dhukh julai subaaee

Without the Naam, all are burning in pain.

ਸਤਿਗੁਿਰ ਪੂਰੈ ਬੂਝ ਬੁਝਾਈ ॥੨॥

sathigur poorai boojh bujhaaee

The Perfect True Guru has given me this understanding. ||2||

mnu cMclu bhu cotw Kwie ]

mun chunchul buhu chottaa khaae

The fickle mind is struck down so many times.

ਏਥਹੁ ਛੁੜਕਿਆ ਠਉਰ ਨ ਪਾਇ ॥

eaethuhu shurrakiaa thour n paae

Having lost this opportunity, no place of rest shall be found.

ਗਰਭ ਜੋਨਿ ਿਵਸਟਾ ਕਾ ਵਾਸੁ ॥

gurubh jon visuttaa kaa vaas

Cast into the womb of reincarnation, the mortal lives in manure;

ਤਿਤੁ ਘਿਰ ਮਨਮੁਖੁ ਕਰੇ ਿਨਵਾਸੁ ॥੩॥

thith ghar munumukh kurae nivaas

in such a home, the self-willed manmukh takes up residence. ||3||

ਅਪੁਨੇ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਕਉ ਸਦਾ ਬਿਲ ਜਾਈ ॥

apunae sathigur ko sudhaa bal jaaee

I am forever a sacrifice to my True Guru;

ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਜੋਤੀ ਜੋਿਤ ਿਮਲਾਈ ॥

gurumukh jothee joth milaaee

the light of the Gurmukh blends with the Divine Light of the Lord.

ਨਿਰਮਲ ਬਾਣੀ ਿਨਜ ਘਿਰ ਵਾਸਾ ॥

nirumul baanee nij ghar vaasaa

Through the Immaculate Bani of the Word, the mortal dwells within the home of his own inner self.

ਨਾਨਕ ਹਉਮੈ ਮਾਰੇ ਸਦਾ ਉਦਾਸਾ ॥੪॥੬॥੪੫॥

naanuk houmai maarae sudhaa oudhaasaa

O Nanak, he conquers his ego, and remains forever detached. ||4||6||45||

Guru Amardaas Jee explains in the above Shabad that praise and slander are alike, that profit will only come through the Name of the Lord, everything else comes through personal Ego including praise of another soul.

The second type of praise; we praise people when they are not present, one can use the excuse of saying they are not present and they will never know I have praised them. This is not the sign of a Gurmukh, a Gurmukh in who Japs Naam Athai Pehar (24,7) with every breath will not praise any being, a Gurmukh only does Ustat (praises)of the supreme Lord Akaal Purakh Sahib Jee, all other Ustat is of no value to the Gurmukh, as humans will always make mistakes, and Sache Pittaa Vaahiguroo (the true father, God) will always be pooraa (pure). The only being we can be certain of being pure is Akaal Purakh Vahiguroo, for this reason the wise-man only praises the Lord and nobody else, and strives to become one with the great Lord through the blessings of Akaal Purakh Vaahiguroos name. No matter how highly a Gursikh is spoken about or has lived their Jeevan witnessed by others we, as Gursikhs should not do their Ustat, as this is the command of our Guru, Guru Granth Sahib Jee. A Gurmukh will always have Satkaar (respect and honour) for any Shaheed, Naam and Gurbaanee Abhiyaasee Gursikh, and all beings in general, but the wise man will keep this love and respect in his Heart, as he has realised the Hukum (command) of his Guru and realises the damage that Ustat will cause to ones Jeevan (life), when Ustat and Ninda are treated in the same way the wise person will find Sehj (Nivaana).

The other reason we should not do Ustat when one is not present is; we tend to put people on very high pedestals according to Physical and Spiritual experiences with certain people. There will come a day when Gursikhs may not fall in their Jeevans (life’s practice) but they will fall in the eyes of our judgement, this will also cause us to fall in our Jeevans, as we thought the world of these people and placed them on very high pedestals. Guru Sahib tells us to only praise Akaal Purakh, as God will never fall and will always be Pooran. Guru Sahib also tells us in Gurbaanee to have faith in Guru Sahib and ourselves, and through Ardaas (prayer) and the repeated Mantraa of the Lords name we will also become pooran, SO WHY PRAISE OTHERS?

(Ang 685)

ਤਿਹ ਜੋਗੀ ਕਉ ਜੁਗਿਤ ਨ ਜਾਨਉ ॥

thih jogee ko jugath n jaano

That Yogi does not know the way.

ਲੋਭ ਮੋਹ ਮਾਇਆ ਮਮਤਾ ਫੁਨਿ ਿਜਹ ਘਿਟ ਮਾਿਹ ਪਛਾਨਉ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥

lobh moh maaeiaa mumuthaa fun jih ghatt maahi pushaano

Understand that his heart is filled with greed, emotional attachment, Maya and egotism. ||1||Pause||

ਪਰ ਨਿੰਦਾ ਉਸਤਿਤ ਨਹ ਜਾ ਕੈ ਕੰਚਨ ਲੋਹ ਸਮਾਨੋ ॥

pur nindhaa ousuthath neh jaa kai kunchun loh sumaano

One who does not slander or praise others, who looks upon gold and iron alike,

ਹਰਖ ਸੋਗ ਤੇ ਰਹੈ ਅਤੀਤਾ ਜੋਗੀ ਤਾਹਿ ਬਖਾਨੋ ॥੧॥

hurukh sog thae rehai atheethaa jogee thaahi bukhaano

who is free from pleasure and pain - he alone is called a true Yogi. ||1||

ਚੰਚਲ ਮਨੁ ਦਹ ਦਿਿਸ ਕਉ ਧਾਵਤ ਅਚਲ ਜਾਿਹ ਠਹਰਾਨੋ ॥

chunchul mun dheh dhis ko dhaavuth achul jaahi thehuraano

The restless mind wanders in the ten directions - it needs to be pacified and restrained.

ਕਹੁ ਨਾਨਕ ਇਹ ਬਿਿਧ ਕੋ ਜੋ ਨਰੁ ਮੁਕਿਤ ਤਾਿਹ ਤੁਮ ਮਾਨੋ ॥੨॥੩॥

kuhu naanuk eih bidh ko jo nur mukath thaahi thum maano

Says Nanak, whoever knows this technique is judged to be liberated. ||2||3||

Guru Sahib is talking about the technique of a true Yogee in this Shabad, Guru Jee says one will become a true Gurmukh Yogee and attain such qualities as above only through the technique of Athai Pehar Naam Abhiyaas.

The third type of Ustat we have talked about repeatedly in the other two types and this is, Ustat of Akaal Purakh Vahiguroo Jeeo. This is the only Ustat in which will liberate us, this is the only praise in which will find ever lasting peace, honour, respect and love. This praise has to be repeated with every breath, when this Ustat is repeated with every breath then the Ras (flavour) of any other Ustat will not enter the mind of a Gurmukh, as the Ras of Naam is an overpowering ecstasy, at this point the World falls at the feet of such amazing humble beings.

(Ang 1040)

ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਬੂਝੈ ਸਬਿਦ ਪਤੀਜੈ ॥

gurumukh boojhai subadh putheejai

The Gurmukh understands, and is pleased with the Word of the Shabad.

ਅੁਸਤਤਿ ਿਨੰਦਾ ਿਕਸ ਕੀ ਕੀਜੈ ॥

ousuthath nindhaa kis kee keejai

Who does he praise or slander?

ਛੀਨਹੁ ਆਪੁ ਜਪਹੁ ਜਗਦੀਸਰੁ ਹਰਿ ਜਗੰਨਾਥੁ ਮਿਨ ਭਾਇਆ ॥੧੩॥

cheenuhu aap jupuhu jugudheesur har jugunnaath man bhaaeiaa

Know yourself, and meditate on the Lord of the Universe; let your mind be pleased with the Lord, the Master of the Universe. ||13||

ੋ ਬ੍ਰਹਮੰਡਿ ਖਮਿਡ ਸੋ ਜਾਣਹੁ ॥

jo brehumundd khundd so jaanuhu

Know the One who pervades all the realms of the universe.

ਘੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਬੂਝਹੁ ਸਬਿਦ ਪਛਾਣਹੁ ॥

gurumukh boojhuhu subadh pushaanuhu

As Gurmukh, understand and realize the Shabad.

ਘਟਿ ਘਿਟ ਭੋਗੇ ਭੋਗਣਹਾਰਾ ਰਹੈ ਅਤੀਤੁ ਸਬਾਇਆ ॥੧੪॥

ghatt ghatt bhogae bhogunehaaraa rehai atheeth subaaeiaa

The Enjoyer enjoys each and every heart, and yet He remains detached from all. ||14||

ਗੁਰਮਤਿ ਬੋਲਹੁ ਹਿਰ ਜਸੁ ਸੂਚਾ ॥

gurumath boluhu har jus soochaa

Through the Guru’s Teachings, chant the Pure Praises of the Lord.

ਘੁਰਮਤਿ ਆਖੀ ਦੇਖਹੁ ਊਚਾ ॥

gurumath aakhee dhaekhuhu oochaa

Through the Guru’s Teachings, behold the lofty Lord with your eyes.

ਸ਼੍ਰਵਣੀ ਨਾਮੁ ਸੁਣੈ ਹਰਿ ਬਾਣੀ ਨਾਨਕ ਹਿਰ ਰੰਿਗ ਰੰਗਾਇਆ ॥੧੫॥੩॥੨੦॥

sruvunee naam sunai har baanee naanuk har rung rungaaeiaa

Whoever listens to the Lord’s Name, and the Word of His Bani, O Nanak, is imbued with the color of the Lord’s Love. ||15||3||20||

Guru Sahib is telling us to be wise and to know ourselves if we want liberation in this life we are only to praise the Lord.

Guru Jee and the Bhagats were so amazing and humble, they were all Bhagats, Avtaars, and Pooran, but still told there followers not to praise them, we are only to praise Vahiguroo, just the same as slandering is awful and known as a vice.

(Ang 633)

ਜੋ ਨਰੁ ਦੁਖ ਮੈ ਦੁਖੁ ਨਹੀ ਮਾਨੈ ॥

jo nur dhukh mai dhukh nehee maanai

That man, who in the midst of pain, does not feel pain,

ਸੁਖ ਸਨੇਹੁ ਅਰੁ ਭੈ ਨਹੀ ਜਾ ਕੈ ਕੰਚਨ ਮਾਟੀ ਮਾਨੈ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥

sukh sunaehu ar bhai nehee jaa kai kunchun maattee maanai

who is not affected by pleasure, affection or fear, and who looks alike upon gold and dust;||1||Pause||

ਨਹ ਨਿੰਿਦਆ ਨਹ ਉਸਤਿਤ ਜਾ ਕੈ ਲੋਭੁ ਮੋਹੁ ਅਿਭਮਾਨਾ ॥

neh nindhiaa neh ousuthath jaa kai lobh mohu abhimaanaa

Who is not swayed by either slander or praise, nor affected by greed, attachment or pride;

ਹਰਖ ਸੋਗ ਤੇ ਰਹੈ ਨਿਆਰਉ ਨਾਿਹ ਮਾਨ ਅਪਮਾਨਾ ॥੧॥

hurukh sog thae rehai niaaro naahi maan apumaanaa

who remains unaffected by joy and sorrow, honor and dishonor;||1||

ਆਸਾ ਮਨਸਾ ਸਗਲ ਤਿਆਗੈ ਜਗ ਤੇ ਰਹੈ ਿਨਰਾਸਾ ॥

aasaa munusaa sugul thiaagai jug thae rehai niraasaa

who renounces all hopes and desires and remains desireless in the world;

ਕਾਮੁ ਕ੍ਰੋਧੁ ਜਿਹ ਪਰਸੈ ਨਾਹਿਨ ਿਤਹ ਘਿਟ ਬ੍ਰਹਮੁ ਿਨਵਾਸਾ ॥੨॥

kaam krodh jih purusai naahan thih ghatt brehum nivaasaa

who is not touched by sexual desire or anger - within his heart, God dwells. ||2||

ਗੁਰ ਕਿਰਪਾ ਿਜਹ ਨਰ ਕਉ ਕੀਨੀ ਿਤਹ ਇਹ ਜੁਗਿਤ ਪਛਾਨੀ ॥

gur kirupaa jih nur ko keenee thih eih jugath pushaanee

That man, blessed by Guru's Grace, understands this way.

ਨਾਨਕ ਲੀਨ ਭਇਓ ਗੋਬਿੰਦ ਿਸਉ ਿਜਉ ਪਾਨੀ ਸੰਿਗ ਪਾਨੀ ॥੩॥੧੧॥

naanuk leen bhaeiou gobindh sio jio paanee sung paanee

O Nanak, he merges with the Lord of the Universe, like water with water. ||3||11||

Vah Vah Vahigurooooo, Guru Jee explains how a true Gurmukh lives his life in Sehj, please read this Shabad carefully and concentrate, as this Shabad teaches us how to be liberated from this body. Lets ask ourselves do we live such a Jeevan, if not why not? All desire will be eradicated from ones life through the blessing of Athai Pehar Naam Abhiyaas, then dust will feel like Gold, slander and praise will be the same, one will not be affected by joy, sorrow, ego attachment and slander.

(Ang 757)

ਅਖੀ ਕਾਢਿ ਧਰੀ ਚਰਣਾ ਤਿਲ ਸਭ ਧਰਤੀ ਿਫਿਰ ਮਤ ਪਾਈ ॥੭॥

akhee kaat dhuree churunaa thal subh dhuruthee fir muth paaee

Taking out my eyes, I place them at Your Feet; after travelling over the entire earth, I have come to understand this. ||7||

ਜੇ ਪਾਸਿ ਬਹਾਲਿਹ ਤਾ ਤੁਝਿਹ ਅਰਾਧੀ ਜੇ ਮਾਿਰ ਕਢਿਹ ਭੀ ਿਧਆਈ ॥੮॥

jae paas behaalehi thaa thujhehi araadhee jae maar kutehi bhee dhiaaee

If You seat me near You, then I worship and adore You. Even if You beat me and drive me out, I will still meditate on You. ||8||

ਜੇ ਲੋਕੁ ਸਲਾਹੇ ਤਾ ਤੇਰੀ ਉਪਮਾ ਜੇ ਨਿੰਦੈ ਤ ਛੋਿਡ ਨ ਜਾਈ ॥੯॥

jae lok sulaahae thaa thaeree oupumaa jae nindhai th shodd n jaaee

If people praise me, the praise is Yours. Even if they slander me, I will not leave You. ||9||

ਜੇ ਤੁਧੁ ਵਲਿ ਰਹੈ ਤਾ ਕੋਈ ਿਕਹੁ ਆਖਉ ਤੁਧੁ ਿਵਸਿਰਐ ਮਿਰ ਜਾਈ ॥੧੦॥

jae thudh val rehai thaa koee kihu aakho thudh visariai mar jaaee

If You are on my side, then anyone can say anything. But if I were to forget You, then I would die. ||10||

This is a very long and beautiful shabad by Guru Raamdaas Jee, Daas was attracted to these four lines simply because Guru Sahib says if people praise me the praise is yours. Only an Athai Pehar Swaas Swaas (breath-by-breath) Naam Abhiyaasee can use this line. What Guru Sahib is saying here is I have earned quality in character, respect and honor only through your name Vaahiguroo, I do not exist only you do and your Name is the cause of my personal praise.

LETS ALL DO ARDAAS AND ASK GUROO SAHIB TO BLESS US ALL WITH ATHAI PEHAR NAAM ABHIYAAS AND SEHJ JEEVAN, ONLY THIS WILL BRING PANTHIK CHARDEE KALLAA. VAHIGUROOOOOOO JEEEEEE

• 2 weeks later...

WJKK WJKF

(I picked this up from a Gurdwara. )

"Men laugh and make fun

Of other's shortcomings,

But never look at their own,

Which are countless, not few."

- Bhagat Kabir Ji

See what slandering does. It begins with evil thought, and that in itself is a crime. For in everyone and in everything there is good; in everyone and in everything there is evil. Either of these we can strengthen by thinking of it, and in this way we can help or hinder evolution. If you think of the evil in another person, you are doing at the same time three wicked things:

1. You are filling your neighbourhood with evil thought, instead of with good thought, and so you are adding to the sorrow of the world.

2.If there is in that man the evil which you think, you are strengthening it and feeding it; and so you are making him worse instead of better. But generally the evil is not there, and you have only fancied it; and then your wicked thought tempts that person to do wrong, for if he is not yet perfect you make him that which you have thought him.

3. You fill your own mind with evil thoughts instead of good; and so you hinder your own growth, and make yourself, for those who can see, an ugly and painful object instead of a beautiful and lovable one.

Not content with having done all this harm to himself/herself and to his/her victim, the slanderer tries with all his might to make other men partners in his crime.

Eagerly he tells his wicked tale to them; hoping that they would believe it; and then they join with him in pouring evil thought upon the poor sufferer.

"The slanderous tongue kills three: the slanderes, the slanderer, and him who listen to the slander."

And this goes on day after day, and is done not by one man but by thousands. Do you begin to see how base, how terrible a sin this is? You must avoid it altogether. Never speak ill of anyone; refuse to listen when anyone else speaks ill of another but gently say "Perhaps this is not true, and even if it is, it is kinder not to speak of it"

"Look not at the faults of others,

Pick out only their merits

Like the bee that hungers only for honey,

See the Lord in the flower of every heart."

- Bhagat Kabir Ji

• 5 months later...

Look not at the faults of others,

Pick out only their merits

Like the bee that hungers only for honey,

See the Lord in the flower of every heart."

wow!VAAHHHEGURROOOOOOO, could you post the gurbani up for this ji? i cannot find it

paraaeiaa shhidhra attakalai aapanaa aha(n)kaar vadhhaavai ||

They complain about other peoples' faults, while their own self-conceit only increases.