Vande Madharam... Would You Sing It?

Nama Singh

Vande MaDharam  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Would you sing along to Vande Madharam?

• YES
    • NO

Question is simple. Would you sing along to "Vande MaDharam", following SGPC's recent approval of it?

NEWS ARTICLE BELOW :

In a major U-turn, Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee (SGPC) president Avtar Makkar today backtracked on his statement that the Sikh community should not sing Vande Mataram. Vande Mataram is a highly Nationalist Anthem and Muslims, Sikhs, and Christians may take offence to singing it as they worship One God as opposed to Devtae.

In a statement issued here today, the SGPC chief said the SGPC had no objection to the singing of Vande Mataram by the Sikh community.

"The Sikhs are an important part of India... Sikhs and Sikh Gurus have made sacrifices for the country... there should be no problem in singing Vande Mataram," SGPC president Avtar Makkar said.

The complete volte-face of the SGPC leader comes as no surprise as the SGPC is dominated by the Shiromani Akali Dal led by former chief minister Prakash Badal. The Akali party is a political alliance partner of the Bharatiya Janata Party in Punjab and at the centre. The BJP is pressing for the singing of Vande Mataram in all educational institutions.

Simranjit Singh Mann, President of Shiromani Akali Dal (Amritsar), however, opposed the "forcible" singing of Vande Mataram. He said that his party leaders would go to schools across Punjab Sep 7 to ensure that Sikh students were not forced to sing the song.

Dal Khalsa, urged Sikh community members not to send their children to school Sep 7 and to oppose the singing of Vande Mataram.

Delhi Sikh Gurdwara Management Committee (DSGMC) declared "Vande Mataram" against Sikh tenets and issued instructions to the educational institutions run by it not to sing it tomorrow.

“Vande Mataram would not be sung in the DSGMC-run educational institutions tomorrow on its first centenary as it is against the tenets, principles and philosophy of Sikhism,” said Mr Harvinder Singh Sarna, president of the Sikh body.

He said the Sikhs in their prayer wish for “sarbat da bhala” (welfare of the whole community). They believe in one Almighty God and do not have belief in any devi-devta.

Mr Sarna said the national anthem was sung in all educational institutions run by it with great respect. “But, we cannot allow the singing of Vande Mataram in our schools,” he said, adding that it had been rejected by the veteran Akali leaders, Baba Kharak Singh and Master Tara Singh, long ago during the freedom struggle.

Guest PRITAM SINGH KHALSA

i'm not a indian citizen so i wont.

but the question is, would you not sing the english anthem if u a citizen of britain? what about the canadian anthem? or the US anthem?

Sorta...... but the anthems dont say anything religionwise, so you sing the anthem for your country not religion so it welcomes every single person in the country to sing.

At baseball,football,hockey etc games they sing the U.S national anthem, and not one American would have a problem with the anthem. Some Americans might not want to sing the anthem out of laziness but not against it like Sikhs from singing the "Vande" We love what our Anthem stands for, and everyone should according to the country they live in, but India is another story

WORLD BIGGEST DEMOCRATIC COUNTRY INDIA

Yes India is the biggest democratic country in the world we all know it. But how many minorities know that India is only country giving more priority to the minorities. For example a Muslim country Malaysia even it’s a developed country the rules giving clear priority to their religion and majority Muslims, where around 30% percent are minority their. But our country gives full freedom to them. But if still if any of them says they not willing to sing a patriotic song mean we should not count them as Indians. Our strength is our unity; we should give high importance to all patriotic issues. So my opinion is this song should be compulsory for all Indians.

Posted by:vijay, singapore

VANDE MATARAM -IT IS A HOLY NATIONAL SONG

Vande Mataram written by Bankim Chanda Chatterji is a song in purest praise of our nation and her greatness.There is nothing discrimating in it. Yes India has a huge population of christians and muslims and other followers.But this does not mean that a national song should be shunned away for the political reasons.This song must be made mandatory.Where does the Madrassas have a role in decision making for a country of 1 billion populations? People who protest it are either illiterates or dumbest idiots! Certain decisions are to be taken with iron hand for nation's integrity and pride is very important. If u r an indian you must accept this song,just like music from MS Subhulakshmi or Bismillah khan or Ravishankar! Say if u r not going to take this truth !! U r welcome in US or UK or Pakistan or Dunes of Afghanisthan not here.

Posted by:S.R.Karthik, Bangalore

Others that I didnt post were praising those who died for the country but then Sikhs arent ever mentioned once and they act as if hindus are the ones who protected india

Whoever doesnt want to sing it is "illiterares or dumbest idiots"????????? rolleyes.gif

Guest PRITAM SINGH KHALSA

Vande mataramHail the mother{land}

Mother, I salute to thee!

Rich with thy hurrying streams,

bright with orchard gleams,

Cool with thy winds of delight,

Green fields waving Mother of might,

Mother free.

Glory of moonlight dreams,

Over thy branches and lordly streams,

Clad in thy blossoming trees,

Mother, giver of ease

Laughing low and sweet!

Mother I kiss thy feet,

Speaker sweet and low!

Mother, to thee I bow.

Who hath said thou art weak in thy lands

When swords flash out in seventy million hands

And seventy million voices roar

Thy dreadful name from shore to shore?

With many strengths who art mighty and stored,

To thee I call Mother and Lord!

Thou who saves, arise and save!

To her I cry who ever her foe drove

Back from plain and sea

And shook herself free.

Thou art wisdom, thou art law,

Thou art heart, our soul, our breath

Though art love divine, the awe

In our hearts that conquers death.

Thine the strength that nerves the arm,

Thine the beauty, thine the charm.

Every image made divine

In our temples is but thine.

Thou art Durga, Lady and Queen,

With her hands that strike and her

swords of sheen,

Thou art Lakshmi lotus-throned,

And the Muse a hundred-toned,

Pure and perfect without peer,

Mother lend thine ear,

Rich with thy hurrying streams,

Bright with thy orchard gleems,

Dark of hue O candid-fair

In thy soul, with jewelled hair

And thy glorious smile divine,

Loveliest of all earthly lands,

Showering wealth from well-stored hands!

Mother, mother mine!

Mother sweet, I bow to thee,

Mother great and free!

Hindu Brahmin and Hindu Scholar Rabindranath Tagore wrote very good letter on Vande Mataram...

Rabindranath Tagore on Vande Mataram

"Vande Mataram! These are the magic words which will open the door of his iron safe, break through the walls of his strong room, and confound the hearts of those who are disloyal to its call to say Vande Mataram." (Rabindranath Tagore in Glorious Thoughts of Tagore, p.165)

The controversy becomes more complex in the light of Rabindranath Tagore's rejection of the song as one that would unite all communities in India. In his letter to Subhas Chandra Bose (1937) Rabindranath wrote, "The core of Vande Mataram is a hymn to goddess Durga: this is so plain that there can be no debate about it. Of course Bankim does show Durga to be inseparably united with Bengal in the end, but no Mussulman [Muslim] can be expected patriotically to worship the ten-handed deity as 'Swadesh' [the nation]. This year many of the special [Durga] Puja numbers of our magazines have quoted verses from Vanda Mataram - proof that the editors take the song to be a hymn to Durga. The novel Anandamath is a work of literature, and so the song is appropriate in it. But Parliament is a place of union for all religious groups, and there the song can not be appropriate. When Bengali Mussulmans show signs of stubborn fanaticism, we regard these as intolerable. When we too copy them and make unreasonable demands, it will be self-defeating." In a postscript to this same letter Rabindranath says: "Bengali Hindus have become agitated over this matter, but it does not concern only Hindus. Since there are strong feelings on both sides, a balanced judgement is essential. In pursuit of our political aims we want peace, unity and good will - we do not want the endless tug of war that comes from supporting the demands of one faction over the other." (Letter #314, Selected Letters of Rabindranath Tagore, edited by K. Datta and A. Robinson, Cambridge University Press ). In the last decade Vande Mataram has been used as a rallying cry by Hindu nationalists in India, who have challenged the status of the current national anthem by Rabindranath.

Rabindernath Tagore was so impressed with Guru Gobind Singh Ji:

When Rabinder Nath Tagore came to India from England, the reportes on the airport asked him, "We found out that some changes occured in your life. When this change occured, What did you do?"

Rabinder Nath Tagore said, "When i read about Guru Gobind Singh Ji and thought about it with my experiences, analyzed it carefully, it kept changing my life slowly slowy. But today, a major change occured in my life. When i was traveling from England to India in the airplane, I trashed my shaving kit in the dust bin." From this day, Rabinder Nath Tagore stopped cutting his hair. When you look at his picture, he has full beard and uncut hair.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabindranath_Tagore ...

He wrote the true national anthem and Sikhs should support it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jana_Gana_Mana

Vande Mataram is totally different story... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vande_Mataram