Are You Carrying A Gun?

Akaali

It means that you can only wear a blade EXCEEDING 3 inches (i.e. larger than 3 inches) if you can prove you have it for one of the following reasons:

(a) for use at work;

( b) for religious reasons; or

( c) as part of any national costume.

Therefore, Amritdharis can legally wear a blade longer than 3 inches. Normal public can carry a blade, however the limit is 3 inches.

Hope that helps.

Is there an act like that in USA? I think knife less than 3 inches and in plain sight is legal....anyone know?

if yes plz plz plz tell us. i have some friends in usa who want to take amrit including me but we are not taking because we don't know we are allowed to wear kirpan or not. well i wear a big kara 2 my college no one say me anything and one of my friend wear a big kirpan too. he is not afraid of anyone. he told me if someone catch me i don't care. but i never understand him. so plz tell us so that we can show everyone that it is legal. gurfateh

Hello. I just joined. I am also worried about the kirpan. I am 14, and can't take amrit because there is no gurdwara near me, and I'm white

(well, I look white but I'm half Brazilian, half Swiss and Italian), my mother does not approve.

Anyway, I have been thinking myself as a Sikh because I was told that if it is in your heart, and you are a seeker, student, and learner (Sikh means student, correct?) then there is no need to convert right away.

Anyway, my question is if there is a way for me to like, get a maybe 1 inch kirpan pendant or something and count that as one of the Ks so I wouldn't run into trouble trying to wear a kirpan to school. Any advice?

Hello. I just joined. I am also worried about the kirpan. I am 14, and can't take amrit because there is no gurdwara near me, and I'm white

(well, I look white but I'm half Brazilian, half Swiss and Italian), my mother does not approve.

Anyway, I have been thinking myself as a Sikh because I was told that if it is in your heart, and you are a seeker, student, and learner (Sikh means student, correct?) then there is no need to convert right away.

Anyway, my question is if there is a way for me to like, get a maybe 1 inch kirpan pendant or something and count that as one of the Ks so I wouldn't run into trouble trying to wear a kirpan to school. Any advice?

Hannah,

Glad to see you're discovering yourself, and I hope Gurujee blesses you with amrit, naam, seva, simran.

Regarding what you said about wearing a 1-inch kirpan pendant, this is TOTALLY against gurmat principles, a pendant or anything shorter than a 4-6 inch sharpened kirpaan CANNOT be considered as your kirpaan. The punj pyaare who keep full rehat (stay in discipline) will tell you the same. We first have to understand the significance of the kirpaan, its history/origin and why we wear it in the first place, it is NOT merely a symbol, but you are given a duty when you take amrit to protect and serve, and if you can't abide by that duty or have doubts then before taking amrit you must wear the punj kakaars as part of your life, and when you are ready or have full confidence in Gurujee and in your sikhi/rehat then you are ready to take amrit, but if you feel like you still have doubts then you should do as much naam/bani/seva as possible, because that is where you get your strength and courage. I'd write more on it, just don't have time.

Which state do you live in? I can get the Act/Code in regards to the kirpan for that state.

Kirpan right in Canada

According to the Multani v. Commission scolaire Marguerite-Bourgeoys, [2006] 1 S.C.R. 256, 2006 SCC 6 cast, is a decision of the Supreme Court of Canada where the Court struck down an order of a Quebec school authority that prohibited a Sikh child from wearing a kirpan to school. IT IS a violation of freedom of religion under section 2(a) of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

More on the Kirpan in Canada http://www.kirpan.ca/

Just a note on having Sikhi "in the heart": this is very important and the right place to start the journey in Sikhi but we can only start practicing the essence of Sikhi, which is naam, when we receive Gurmantar/naam from the Punj Pyaaray and the gift of amrit. I think it would be accurate to say that no one can truly follow the path of Sikhi without getting naam from Guru Sahib which is only possible through initiation/amrit.

Kirpan right in Canada

According to the Multani v. Commission scolaire Marguerite-Bourgeoys, [2006] 1 S.C.R. 256, 2006 SCC 6 cast, is a decision of the Supreme Court of Canada where the Court struck down an order of a Quebec school authority that prohibited a Sikh child from wearing a kirpan to school. IT IS a violation of freedom of religion under section 2(a) of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

More on the Kirpan in Canada http://www.kirpan.ca/

Thanks for the information. I suppose the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedom allows the KIRPAN 100%. That's good enough. I just wish they had a specfic law in Canadian Criminal Code for the Polce, and other government workers to be aware of just like in the UK. Well, we can get our MP'S to try to get that a law I suppose. :TH:

(Start e-mailing Navdeep Bains, and Gurbax Malhi from Ontario. :wub: :wub: )