How To Make Karah Prashad?

Akaali

• 1 year later...
can anyone comment on the karah parshad i made in this link?

TY.

PS. i don't think i added enough water.

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t200/Sh...00/P1021359.jpg

wjkk wjkf

water looks ok, i think you need to leave it a bit longer on the cooker and let it go brown gold.

wat i have learnt is:

33.3% water, 33.3% aata, 33.3% sugar, thats the real quantity of ingridients should be.

wjkk wjkf

Lately I've been asked about the proper maryada for degh/maha-parshaad/karah parshaad. The seva of Degh is usually given to Singhs who have a strong bibek and their prepared food is acceptable to all Singhs. In Bibeksar RaN Sabaaiees this seva is given to Malleeaa(n) valay Singhs because of their "babbar bibek" ie. hardcore bibek.

First the Singhs preparing Degh must do full ishnaan and wear fresh clothes. No pyjaamee should be worn when preparing degh. The KaRas must be scrubbed clean as well as the kirpaan. Then the area in which degh is to be prepared must be throughly cleaned. All utensils to prepare degh must be of only Sarbloh and not have any kind of rust on them. The Sarbloh utensils should "shine like silver". The area in which Degh is prepared should be aside and not open to the public eyes or traffic. Preferabbly the whole area should be open to the degh sevaadaars alone.

I won't go into the recipe for degh, but when preparing degh, the Singhs should keep their mouths and noses covered and recite either gurbaaNee or gurmantar.

When Degh is ready, if possible, it should be transferred to a sarbloh bata and then covered with a thin white cloth and taken into sangat, where a cleaned table/khaRaunchee is present. If there is too much degh for it to fit in any baTa, ie. at a big smaagam, it should be carried into sangat in the kaRaahee it was prepared in, still covered in white cloth. In some places degh is carried in buckets into the divaan which is wrong.

The Singhs who prepared the degh should themselves sit at pehraa of the degh or appoint another tyaar-bar tyaar Khalsa to do so. The degh should be cooled, if at all possible, before bringing it into sangat. It's not desirable to openly cool it in sangat.

When it is time to for ardaas and bhog, the kirpaan which has been scrubbed should again be rinsed in water and dried. Bhog can then be done after ardaas has be done for it.

When it is time to distribute the degh, these sevadaars should also be tyaar-bar tyaar khalsas with strong bibek. They too should not wear pyjamees. The first 5 servings go to the first 5 Khalsa in sangat, then a bata is set aside for the Granthi once s/he is done their duties.

All batas used for distributing should be only sarbloh and covered with white cloth. The sevadaars should also cover their nose and mouth when doing this seva. The sevaadaars should distribute all the degh and then take whatever is left over, but it should not be more than the servings given to the sangat, although in such a circumstance as a lot of sangat, it can be less.

This is the Khalsa Maryada for degh, and in the words of Bhai Sahib Randheer Singh jee in "Jhatkaa Maas Parthai..." "Getting it would be a good thing! What more consecrated food than mahaaparsaad then? Mahaaparsaad is the real consecrated food. Being a Sikh, what else could one consume?"

can anyone comment on the karah parshad i made in this link?

TY.

PS. i don't think i added enough water.

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t200/Sh...00/P1021359.jpg

It looks undercooked. You need to cook the flour in ghee until it is golden brown in color. Quantity of water should be 3-4 times the quantity of flour. So if you have 1 cup flour, take 1 cup ghee, 1 cup sugar and 3-4 cups of water.

DEGH PARSHAD MUST BE COOLED BEFORE IT IS CONSECRATED

Once, on the eve of the birth of the Khalsa, at Vaisakhi celebrations,

parshad was brought into the Guru’s presence in two containers and

placed before Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji. The hasty preparation by the

attendants meant that the parshad was still hot when placed in front of

Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji. At the end of the programme, Ardas was

performed and as per the tradition, parshad was offered to Guru Ji so

that it could be consecrated. The hukamnama was read, following

which, the attendants distributed the deg parshad, to the sangat. The

sangat was reciting simran of Satnam-Waheguru and Baba Ji was

standing behind Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji waving the fan (chaur Sahib).

At this time the tenth master Guru Gobind Singh Ji appeared before

Baba Ji and said, ”Bhai Harnam Singh! Today the deg was very hot.

Just look, the attendants can’t even serve it properly with their hands.

How can we have such hot parshad? So in the future, deg should be

prepared with sanctity and allowed to cool down before it is offered for

bhog (consecration or blessing of the parshad by the Guru).” After the

parshad was distributed, Baba Ji told the sangat about the order of the

great Guru. After this incident, Baba Ji would personally check the

vessel and parshad to see if it was too hot, before it was offered for

bhog. If it was too hot, then a fan would be placed over the vessel and

the parshad stirred to cool it down before being offered for consecration.

So, we should always be careful about offering hot deg parshad to Sri

Guru Granth Sahib Ji for bhog and make sure the parshad is warm or

cool before the Ardas and bhog.

• 6 months later...

programstrip_02.jpg

Waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh

I am new to this forum, can somebody suggest me the right amount of water in Karah prashad? Diferent people have different opinion .Some says equal amount of sugar, ghee, flour and water. some recpies have the twice and some says thrice the water. how much is the right quantity of water should be put for preparing prashad?

Waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh