False Information On Sikhism On A Genuine Looking Site

Akhoza

http://www.allaboutsikhs.com/rehat/rehat_16.htm#1

On here it says stuff like:

Caste

A Singh protects cows and Brahmans. Ensure that your cooking arrangements are kept unpolluted. Do not permit the following to participate in your langar: barbers, Jhivars who shave heads, weavers, potters, and others of low caste. Brahmans and those of good family who do not touch bhang or tobacco can all pre-pare food in a langar. Preaching should convince the four castes of the message concerning warfare. '° [16, 102—4]

Pilgrimage

Anandpur, Amritsar, Patna, and Abchalnagar [the four takhats], are truly splendid places. Reverently walk around any place associated with a Guru, make an offering, say Ardas, and inwardly meditate on the supreme Guru. [17, 18]

False Teachers

Slander of the Guru is a serious offence. The Veda tells us that we should not defame any of the world's panths. Every panth is the dwelling-place of God (hari). Slander, misrepresentation, and envy are great evils. [60—1]

Marry a girl from your own caste. [28]

Initiation

Admission to the Khalsa is by the two-edged sword initiation (khande ki pahul). This is the superior form of initiation. It is Administered by five Singhs. [6-7, 9

Im sure some of this info is incorrect :wub:

ALL SIKHS SHUD TRY AND KEEP BIBEK IF POSSIBLE , BECUZ U ARE WHAT U EAT ...

THE MARRY SAME CASTE IS STUPID

yeah coz that basically brings the caste system in.

Guest PRITAM SINGH KHALSA

NO caste, NO pointless rituals, NO protecting cows/brahmins rolleyes.gif

Now days I think there are only a few million Sikhs and the rest are straight up fake.

NO Amrit, NO Rehat = NO SIKH

Now days I think there are only a few million Sikhs and the rest are straight up fake.

In that case quite a few of us on hre are fake blush.gif

Are you calling me a plastic Sikh ohmy.gifwacko.gif

http://www.allaboutsikhs.com/rehat/rehat_16.htm#1

On here it says stuff like:

Caste

A Singh protects cows and Brahmans. Ensure that your cooking arrangements are kept unpolluted. Do not permit the following to participate in your langar: barbers, Jhivars who shave heads, weavers, potters, and others of low caste. Brahmans and those of good family who do not touch bhang or tobacco can all pre-pare food in a langar. Preaching should convince the four castes of the message concerning warfare. '° [16, 102—4]

Pilgrimage

Anandpur, Amritsar, Patna, and Abchalnagar [the four takhats], are truly splendid places. Reverently walk around any place associated with a Guru, make an offering, say Ardas, and inwardly meditate on the supreme Guru. [17, 18]

False Teachers

Slander of the Guru is a serious offence. The Veda tells us that we should not defame any of the world's panths. Every panth is the dwelling-place of God (hari). Slander, misrepresentation, and envy are great evils. [60—1]

Marry a girl from your own caste. [28]

Initiation

Admission to the Khalsa is by the two-edged sword initiation (khande ki pahul). This is the superior form of initiation. It is Administered by five Singhs. [6-7, 9

Im sure some of this info is incorrect :wub:

more so called sikhs preahcing crap dis has gota stop

Guest PRITAM SINGH KHALSA

In that case quite a few of us on hre are fake blush.gif

Are you calling me a plastic Sikh ohmy.gifwacko.gif

grin.gif All those who are fake know for a fact that they are fake, they dont need me to say it. Im tired of the "Im a Sikh yet I cut my hair, drink alcohol and dont read Gurbani" or "Im a Sikh, I just dont read nitnem, dont keep Kaysh, etc" If someone is real then they need not speak up about it because they are in the middle of their discipline. If someone gets mad because they are fake means they are fake and dont like to hear it from others. Say what cha want bout me, I dont care. Its the effort you put in, its the effort you put in later on down the road, and then again.

Yeah some people in Sikh saroop are fake also but If you dont keep the saroop Guru Gobind Singh Ji has blessed us with then how are you starting your spiritual quest in life?? Amrit isnt for 20 min before you die, like most people plan on Amrit chaar. wacko.gif

How can you be an employee of God if you dont even work there???? If you dont wear your uniform to work are you able to still work at your job???????? If you dont enroll in school then how are you going to graduate??? Just because you enroll does it mean you will automatically graduate??????? It takes effort. Without effort you are nothing. Dont fashion like society. Learn to love Akal Purakh with every breath. pray.gif

People making websites are fake and claim to be Sikhs, because in reality the webmaker is not a practicing Sikh and claims to be able to teach what they dont know or follow.

On the link you have given, the page is simply translating a Rehat-Nama (Desa Singh's), and I believe they translate others too. I don't know if they agree with these points, they are just providing a translation. If there is any questionable material in Gurmukhi/Punjabi sources, it is better a honest translation is given rather than hiding some of the written information, which would then make the translation dishonest and useless. (BTW, I am not aware if the contents of this translation do indeed match what is actually written in the stated Rehatnama, perhaps someone can indicate how accurate an interpretation it is?)

I think this is the index for translations http://www.allaboutsikhs.com/rehat/index.htm

The translations, I beleive are taken from

Sikhs of the Khalsa : History of Khalsa Rahit

W.H.Mcleod Oxford Press 2003

In this manner, I don't believe the site have done anything wrong, and maybe some people have failed to look at the source before commenting after the initial post.

Some of the questionable points contained within the Rehatnama are actually discussed further if you look at the end of this page

http://www.allaboutsikhs.com/rehat/rehat_17.htm

Some of his principal points are the following:

Desa Singh does indeed uphold caste divisions with the significant exception of eating in the langar. In this regard he is not so far removed from the attitude of the majority of today's Khalsa. Whereas today there is absolute equality on the sacred ground of the gurdwara and the langar, the divisions are generally maintained in matters of marriage.

The ban on the hookah is still maintained, and its dangers are extended to cover intoxicants. Intoxicating liquor may, however, be taken before battle. There is no mention of snuff.

jhatha meat appears, though its use is granted only reluctantly. It is only permitted with goat meat and then only if the animal is killed well away from a langar. In the langar meat is absolutely banned and one is left with the impression that Desa Singh would gladly proscribe it altogether.

Detailed instructions are given for the procedure in a langar. Obviously Desa Singh attached' great importance to eating in a langar. This portion of the rahit-nama (verses 90–118) is attributed to the instructions of Nand Lal.

Instructions are also provided for the preparation of karah prasad. This time, however, it is the Guru who gives them.

Considerable stress is laid upon the Khalsa Sikh's duty as a warrior.

The same applies to the author's comments on the kes (verses 79-85).

Little mention is made of tanakhahs.

The term kurahit (contrary to the Rahit) appears for the first time in a rahit-nama (verse 121). 20

Desa Singh's comments concerning Muslims are both numerous and extremely vigorous. It is this aspect of the rahit-nama which particularly suggests that it was written at the end of the eighteenth century rather than during the early nineteenth Century.

His comments about Hindus are much fewer and less vigorous. Certain varieties of Hindu should be avoided, but the Brahman is not included amongst them. Singhs are counselled to protect both cows and Brahmans.

The rahit-nama contains little about rituals.

Renunciant Singhs are recognised as legitimate mem­bers of the Khalsa (verse 25).

The Khalsa is called upon to celebrate the birthdays of the Gurus (verse 39).