Grow Kesh And Don The Spiritual Crown....a Personal Experience

Dear Cyber Sangat Jee

WJKK

WJKF

If I may, I'd like to share my personal experience of making the transformation from a mona to a keshadhari. I hope this of help to others who wish to tread the same path.

I am a doctor and work in Northern England.

Over the last 12 months, I have grown the hair on my head and face....yes I went through a 'hippy. appearance'- stage.

About 4 weeks ago I circulated an e-mail at work, informing my colleagues that I'd be pitching up in a spiritual crown. I also attached a powerpoint presentation of eminent turban-wearing Sikhs and also attached a picture of myself wearing the crown at the end, so that they could see what I looked like, before turning up in the flesh. In essence, this provided them with a psychological immunisation.

I must have received around 40-50 e-mails from colleagues, congratulating me on the impending change.

When I turned up to work, people were very complimentary, saying things like'you look much better than before'.

Yes-I was nervous and the stomach churnned on the first morning, when I nervously tied the crown and checked whether it looked neat and smart. On the way to work, I prayed from the core of my heart and pictured great sikhs in my mind, like bhai Taru Singh. The realisation dawned that my nervous predicament was peanuts, compared to what our our great, grand, mighty ancestors had to endure, the blood of whom flows in the veins of all Sikhs, regardless of appearance.

Present situation.......

Some people stare at work....but I just smile back.

How does it feel? It feels absolutely marvellous to look different and to stand out from the crowd.

It is the first time, I have felt comfortable, living in my skin in 25 years (since my hair cut). I have more energy and feel as if the Guru is standing on my head, protecting me.

Yes I am still self conscious, but this is natural and will fade in time.

Why did I make this change......for my 2 boys. Both are keshadhari (7 and 5). I had to be a role model for them, as well as desiring to progress spiritually and to take the 'internal bath'.

The dastaar is like an advertsing billboard-it pulls people in and makes them ask questions. Dropping a few points about the dastaar and Sikhi has a massive impact on ones non-Sikh colleagues. This ripples out to others who will then be educated on the significane of the Sikh appearance. This leads to the darkness of ignorance being lifted.

Ultimately....any mona out there reading this e-mail who wants to make the change...my ardaas is with you. It all starts from ardaas. Pray from the deepest recess of your heart, asking for 'Sikhi daan, Naam daan, Amrit di daat'. The Guru will give you the strength to make the transformation and will be with you, protecting you with his shield.

My ardaas continues to be blessed with the 10th master's amrit......

Bhul Chuk Maak karna Ji.

WJKK

WJKF

Sat Kartar

BOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

SSSSSSSSSSSSAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT SSSSSSSSSRRRRRRRRRRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKKKKKKKKKAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

GUUUUUUURRRRRRRBUUUUUUUUURRRR AAAKKKAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!

:D respect.gifAWW.gif

WAAAAAAHEEEEEEEGUUUUUUURUUUU

DHAN GURU DHAN GURU PYAARE

DHAN GURU DHAN GURU PYAARE

DHAN DHAN DHAN GURSIKH

DHAN DHAN DHAN GURSIKH

boht vadbagee hegayo veerji

congratulations.. GURKIRPA!!

awesome singh!

congrats.

I started wearing a turban two weeks ago to work and have had similar responses. The best was ths gora who I work with. I was eating lunch with my co-workers and this guy comes and sits down next to us. I was getting ready to give my explanation of why all of a sudden I had a turban on my head after the "hippie" phase like you wrote :D

To my suprise this guy looks up at me, I'm like ok here we go, and he says,

"Hey {my name}, I didn't know you were a Sikh..."

My jaw dropped and I was like Waaheguru.

Your story hit home :D

take care singh.