Sikhism

Lionchild is telling you that you only should read the english translations only because he is scared of something (maybe he has a learning disability grin.gif ) You dont need to know Sikh music but you should be able to read Gurbani unlike lionchilds advice rolleyes.gif . Sometimes I wonder what he is up to, like he sounds like he has the same agenda. grin.gif

Wow, i didnt say you should ONLY read the SGGS in english, did I? What i said was that if you want to learn in your own language than you can, if you want to learn punjabi, that's good too. PSK, maybe your the one who is always up some agenda.

PSK is the "crazy" one, he the one that seems to like bashing other religions and talking down to others is acceptable.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

gurbani is saagar

deeper u dive more ratan u will find

u gotta learn how to read gurmukhi...because every single matar carry its own significance....how wud u express tat with english translation...tats IMPOSSIBLE

take your time n learn gurmukhi.....reading from the romanised punjabi wont help u understand the meanings....plus u maybe pronouncing it wrongly

all the best :TH:

Guest PRITAM SINGH KHALSA

Lionchild is telling you that you only should read the english translations only because he is scared of something (maybe he has a learning disability grin.gif ) You dont need to know Sikh music but you should be able to read Gurbani unlike lionchilds advice rolleyes.gif . Sometimes I wonder what he is up to, like he sounds like he has the same agenda. grin.gif

Wow, i didnt say you should ONLY read the SGGS in english, did I? What i said was that if you want to learn in your own language than you can, if you want to learn punjabi, that's good too. PSK, maybe your the one who is always up some agenda.

PSK is the "crazy" one, he the one that seems to like bashing other religions and talking down to others is acceptable.

hehehehehe Im strict yes, and to some following rehat is crazy but GuruJi tells us that the manmukhs will think like that in the age of Kalyug. When people try to justify away religious ways then you know you are in kaljug. All the evidence of Kalyug is very true, word for word.

My agenda is to have all the peope who claim to be a Sikh actually do what a Sikh is to do a.e. bani,amritvela,naapjaap,etc

Yours: to mislead people to think learning Gurmukhi, listening to kirtan,food at Guru-ka-Langar and wearing bana is culture this and that blah blah rolleyes.gif

But lets praise all the other religions and not Sikhi but you choose to be a Sikh for some reason, is it because it isnt the best way in your logical thinking???? Telling you the truth about others religious secrets isnt bashing, the truth hurts sometimes.

I think it would be really funny if all of us that argue got together because we have soo much in common that we like to get all detailed about a detail hehehhe :D We all know alot about eachothers views on a large spectrum.

Waheguru Ji ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji ki Fateh Ji

As a relgious SIkh do you need to know how to play the tabla and read punjabi?

Khalsa123

No, you don't have to play he tabla, nor learn punjabi. Your language is just as fine and acceptable to waheguru or god. Keep your language and culture!

:e: BOLE SO NIHAL!!! :e:

Sabh to bhada putt <admin-profanity filter activated> ma boli jo bhull ja ve!

:e: SAT SRI AKAL!!! :e:

Actually Pritam and Lionchild have a point.

Sikhism is a Universal faith and should not be restricted to any colour, creed, tribe, gender or LANGUAGE!

One thing I would say is that there are translation available of the Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji in English and other languages.....but one has to be mindful of some translator who get the words wrong and some who deliberately mistranslates (usually Derawala's). A good example of this is the word "Bismil" translated as Kill. This word does not mean Kill at all but is used as an incantation by Muslims when they perform the Halaal sacrifice or purification (as they call it). So Bismil means in effect sacrifice. Important BUT subtle meaning difference.

Translitration is OK too.......so an understanding of words in tanslitration is OK.

Guest PRITAM SINGH KHALSA
Translitration is OK too.......so an understanding of words in tanslitration is OK.

Once you know enough transliteration then when you read the Gurmukhi you undersand. I read transliteration forat least a year. ( I still will with Jaap Sahib for a while though :D ) When I read the literation then I can get Paath done quicker if I needed to, but when I read the Gurmukhi I feel like I accomplished alot within a couple years. Im still learning, and you gotta start somewhere, right? After a while I wont need the literation at all, and then I will have a slight majority of the translations (basic translation) so then I will only read from authentic Gutkas like a couple that I have.

Guest Narinder Singh

Translation of Gurbani is a good way to get started for people who can't read gurmukhi or understand punjabi, but we shouldnt stop there because we need to realize how much is lost in translation.

Without making an effort we wont get far, and learning to read, write, and speak punjabi shouldn't be that difficult for someone who's been sorrounded by a punjabi speaking environment. I learned punjabi when i was young, but forgot it because i didnt think it was "important enough", now i regret it and am trying to learn once again.

To those who understand Gurbani in its true form, only they understand what real "rass" is, and i hope u know how lucky u are. :TH:

As for me, i pray and beg for that understanding to come my way someday. pray.gif

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa

Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

Thnku, i have conutless powerpoint presentations of the prayers. I will try to learn Gurumuki but i wont understand this without the English translation will i?

Khalsa123

that's a good idea khalsa123, that way, you can leant before hand what is in the our guru granth sahi ji! irocincally, i too have been learning a bit of punjab itoo, it will be some time though, before i can actauly use it.