Being 'Tyaar Bar Tyaar'

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought bana belonged to the khalsa. Full stop!

How can you say to somebody that they cannot waer bana because they do not belong to a certain group?!!?

Most of the nangs/nihangs with which people have problems dont deserve to wear bana. They abuse the power that the image gives them, and use it as a tool to attract youngsters and get inside their heads.

If somebody who is wearing bana and abusing it by not following rehat or doing stupid stuff with it, then they should either not wear it, or other gursikhs should point out that 'perhaps' they should stop wearing it as they cannot respect it.

Other than that if somebody is wearing it with pyaar and like jagjit said it does give u hunkar, but if you feel that you can deal with it then what is wrong with wearing it!?

As for whoever you are telling people to take off their bana without knowing anything of their rehat etc, who do you think you are?!

I somethimes tie a dumalla as nihang singhs wear theirs, but im not a nihang, and i dont liek nangs. There. Now then, YOU do something about it, if you have the himmat take it of me.

This bana and dastar belongs to my guru not a bunch of idiots running around chatting <admin-profanity filter activated>!

Maybe it is a good thing for non-nangs to wear the 'nihang' bana, at least people wont get the wrong impression of all nihang singhs!

I repeat, if you dont like it, and want to make people take their bana off, ajah. Im sure theres plenty of non-nihangs wearing dumalla etc, take them off.

i have absolutely NO problems with nihangs. Guru sahibs nihangs are inspiring and beautiful. i know a few gursikhs from tarna dal who have done seva with baba nihaal singh jee. Baba nihaal singh jee is a very inspiring GURSIKH nihang.

Nangs i have a big problem with and they will all go to hell. I have no problem saying that either.

and it isnt their bana its guru sahibs. the nangs of uk have no place in the panth and no claim to that which belongs to guru khalsa panth.

I just cannot believe it, if this isn't hypocrisy I don' t know what is.

If you hate nihangs so much and keep calling the ones you do not agree with 'nangs' then take off their bana.

Simple.

Do you agree that when people look at you, they must think they are looking at a nihang khalsa?

why cant u for once stop starting all this unnecessary arguements...

please next time back ur arguments with some certain level of proof... where is it written that bana is only worn by Nihangs or Nangs (whatever it is) ...

bana is a uniform of KHALSA... bas FULL STOP...

Gur Fateh!

The use of the term 'nang' by the 2 supposedly opposing sides is hilarious to say the least!

Anyway, as per Bana, this does vary within the Panth, I don't wish to get involved into a Samprayda, Jathabandi or what have you debate, but without discussing any other issues, it can be noted that in general there is variance in what constitues bana and for whom (outside of the 5K rehit)

Even if we look at Jathabandees, there is variance. In this group, the main proponent who allude observance of Bana (i.e. outside of the 5K's) are the AKJ (who increasingly adopt the bana of the Nihang Singhs), 3HO (who insist on wearing white and increasingly through their influence from the AKJ on Blue with many 2nd/3rd generation 3HO kids also wearing Nihang Bana), Nanaksar (insofar as the Behengams are concerned -adopting the bana commonly worn by Sants, in this case Baba Nand Singh), Niskham Sevak Jatha (again mainly use white).

As per the Nihang Bana in question here, the only issue I have noted is the choice by many to begin wearing Farlas and Ooch Dhumalas, which particularly in the case of the Farlas are marks of distinction within Nihang Dals and 'awarded' or 'bestowed' upon individuals for notable merit. Unfortunately, those who do wear Nihang Bana (i.e. non-dal Singhs, such as the AKJ, 3HO and others) have certain members of their sangats adopting this rank of Farla-dhari Nihangs without any requisite 'permission' since it 'looks' good and more 'chardi kala' and 'tyar par tyar' which is usually expressed in phrases like "it looks gangsta man" which is really the thing that gets un

der my skin!!! Sorry to disappoint the macho-singhs out there from the khalsa-ghetto, but Guru Gobind Singh was NOT a gangsta!!!

Similarly within Nihang Dals, we can see Farlas being handed out rapidly and easily, much like Siropas (a high honour in the Guru's Darbar) often handed out very easily to people nowadays.

This to my mind seems to be a natural evolution of the increasing focus that can be seen in the shift of emphasis onto Bana over and above Bani.

intresting, i still dont believe that there is anything wrong if somebody from nanaksar decided to wear the blue bana and someone from akj wore the white chola, just their preference, im pretty positive theres nothing to say that people from certain grps cant wear certain styles of clothing.

Also as yiu have mentioned nihangs and the farla system, could you please state whether or not you can be called a jathedhar of the nihangs without having a farla?

and if you were given the jathedhari, and the farla, is there any excuse not to wear it?

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

I dont see any of this jatha stuff that niranjana seems to see. Theres two types of cholas or bana, one, that i wear and he refers to as nihang, is open chola. The other, sometimes known as sant chola or taksali chola, is closed in the front. Otherwise they are pretty much the same. (except maybe in color)

So, who cares? i dont.

as for farlaas, i agree this should be kept proper, as most of the panth was akali/nihang in guru gobind singhs time and he himself was an akali nihang singh, this is where our tradition came from, and i dont think its reserved just for those that call themselves nihangs today but do not follow rehat (ie bhang/meat).

Anyway, the only AKJ people i can think of who wear farlaas are those great shaheeds and jathedars of Babbar Khalsa. And they deserved it.