What Is A Sikh?

Guest Khalsa Productions

Vahegurujikakhalsa Vahegurujikifateh

My definition of a Sikh:

Most people would say, "Your not a Sikh until you have taken Amrit". In some ways i agree but at the same time there are so many Amritdharri's out there but they dont have that love, that devotion, that faith like Gursikhs do. I agree that giving your head to Satguru Ji's is a huge step but then if you dont maintain that love within your self; who are you trying to kid?

A true Sikh loves his Guru.

A true Sikh sees' all Ten Masters within Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji.

A true Sikh never abandones Satguru Ji at Amritveylaa.

A true Sikh never forget's the Creator of all Creations.

A true Sikh continues to say Vaheguru's Name with every breath and morsel of Food.

A true Sikh will rise in the early portion of the morning, take bath and recite his Name.

A true Sikh will give his head to Guru Saahib such as did the five punj piyaarey.

A true Sikh will always remain in his home of Saach Kaand.

A true Sikh will learn Gurbani Kirtan.

A true Sikh will love Guru Saahib more than anyone in the whole world.

gurisKW min hir pRIiq hY guru pUjx Awvih ]

gurasikhaa man har preeth hai gur poojun aavehi

The minds of the Gursikhs are filled with the love of the Lord; they come and worship the Guru.

hir nwmu vxMjih rMg isau lwhw hir nwmu lY jwvih ]

har naam vununjehi rung sio laahaa har naam lai jaavehi

They trade lovingly in the Lord's Name, and depart after earning the profit of the Lord's Name.

gurisKw ky muK aujly hir drgh Bwvih ]

gurasikhaa kae mukh oujulae har dhurugeh bhaavehi

The faces of the Gursikhs are radiant; in the Court of the Lord, they are approved.

guru siqguru bohlu hir nwm kw vfBwgI isK gux sWJ krwvih ]

gur sathigur bohul har naam kaa vuddubhaagee sikh gun saajh kuraavehi

The Guru, the True Guru, is the treasure of the Lord's Name; how very fortunate are the Sikhs who share in this treasure of virtue.

iqnw gurisKw kMau hau vwirAw jo bhidAw auTidAw hir nwmu iDAwvih ]11]

thinaa gurasikhaa kuno ho vaariaa jo behadhiaa outhadhiaa har naam dhiaavehi

I am a sacrifice to those Gursikhs who, sitting and standing, meditate on the Lord's Name. ||11||

Bull chaak maauf karnee

Vaheugrujikakhalsa Vahegurujikifateh

p.s- Gursikhi is a lifestyle not a religion.

^^ i agree with above!

nice post

gurmuK jnm skwrQw gurisK iml srnI AwXw]

guramukh janam sakaarathhaa gurasikh mil saranee aayaa||

The life of that gurmukh is fortunate whom meeting some Sikh of the Guru has come to the shelter of the Guru.

Awid purK Awdys kr sPl mUrq gur drsn pwXw]

aadh purakh aadhaes kar safal moorath gur dharasan paayaa||

He bows before primeval Purusa (God) and becomes blessed after having the sight of such a Guru.

prdKnw fMfauq kr msqk crx kml gur lwXw]

paradhakhanaa dda(n)ddouth kar masathak charan kamal gur laayaa||

After circumambulation he bows on the lotus feet of Guru.

siqgur purK dieAwl hoie vwihgurU scu mMqR suxwXw]

sathigur purakh dhaeiaal hoe vaahiguroo sach ma(n)thr sunaayaa||

Becoming kind, the Guru recites true mantra Vaheguru for him.

sc rws rihrws dy pYrIN pY jg pYrIN pwXw]

sach raas rehiraas dhae pairee(n) pai jag pairee(n) paayaa||

The Sikh with his capital of devotion falls at the feet of Guru and the whole world bows at his feet.

kwm kroD ivroD hr loB moh AhMkwr qjwXw]

kaam karodhh virodhh har lobh moh aha(n)kaar thajaayaa||

God (the Guru) eradicates his lust, anger and resistance and gets his greed, infatuation and ego erased.

sq sMqoK dieAw Drm dwn nwm ieSnwn idRVwXw]

sath sa(n)thokh dhaeiaa dhharam dhaan naam eishanaan dhrirraayaa||

Instead, the Guru makes him practise truth, contentment, dharma, name, charity and ablution.

gur isK lY gur isK sdwXw ]ó]

gur sikh lai gur sikh sadhaayaa ||a||

Adopting the teachings of the Guru, the individual is called a Sikh of the Guru.

Guest Narinder Singh
gurmuK jnm skwrQw gurisK iml srnI AwXw]

guramukh janam sakaarathhaa gurasikh mil saranee aayaa||

The life of that gurmukh is fortunate whom meeting some Sikh of the Guru has come to the shelter of the Guru.

Awid purK Awdys kr sPl mUrq gur drsn pwXw]

aadh purakh aadhaes kar safal moorath gur dharasan paayaa||

He bows before primeval Purusa (God) and becomes blessed after having the sight of such a Guru.

prdKnw fMfauq kr msqk crx kml gur lwXw]

paradhakhanaa dda(n)ddouth kar masathak charan kamal gur laayaa||

After circumambulation he bows on the lotus feet of Guru.

siqgur purK dieAwl hoie vwihgurU scu mMqR suxwXw]

sathigur purakh dhaeiaal hoe vaahiguroo sach ma(n)thr sunaayaa||

Becoming kind, the Guru recites true mantra Vaheguru for him.

sc rws rihrws dy pYrIN pY jg pYrIN pwXw]

sach raas rehiraas dhae pairee(n) pai jag pairee(n) paayaa||

The Sikh with his capital of devotion falls at the feet of Guru and the whole world bows at his feet.

kwm kroD ivroD hr loB moh AhMkwr qjwXw]

kaam karodhh virodhh har lobh moh aha(n)kaar thajaayaa||

God (the Guru) eradicates his lust, anger and resistance and gets his greed, infatuation and ego erased.

sq sMqoK dieAw Drm dwn nwm ieSnwn idRVwXw]

sath sa(n)thokh dhaeiaa dhharam dhaan naam eishanaan dhrirraayaa||

Instead, the Guru makes him practise truth, contentment, dharma, name, charity and ablution.

gur isK lY gur isK sdwXw ]ó]

gur sikh lai gur sikh sadhaayaa ||a||

Adopting the teachings of the Guru, the individual is called a Sikh of the Guru.

d_oh.gifd_oh.gifd_oh.gif

I was about to give my manmat ego driven definition of a sikh until i read this beautiful shabad. Papi, you're literally a gurbani search engine. :D Thank you veerji.

Fateh.

Religion is a belief or way of life, dharm is a lif of righteousness. Dharm has evolved, a set of principles according to which one lives and which are true and real, but most of all they make sense.

My parents are Sikh, so I was born a sikh and brought up according to the dharm. I am a Sikh because I know and understand my dharm. To follow one has to understand. Its difficult to carry out an instruction without knowing how, when and why. I have questioned my dharm and it has always made sense to me, so I am a Sikh.

I do not follow my faith blindly. I disagree, argue and oppose some statements, but yet I begin to understand and change my views and values accordingly.

Sikhism is my dharma because I cannot think of another dharam I would more like to follow. I have appraised Sikhism and I recognise its importance to me,

It has taken me time and hard work to understand Sikhism, but I have achieved something.

:TH: