What Defines A Sikh

bob gandi

This has probably been discussed before.

I have read lots of comments where references made to Sikh - such as a sikh would not do this or would not do that.

Does a sikh have to be amritari. Does a male sikh have to wear a turban. Apply with the 5 k's etc.

Myself I don't have any distingusihing features that I'm a sikh to another person. BUT in my heart, my pull towards god is strong. I do part, naam jaap as much as I can, do seva as much as I can, I don't drink, smoke, eat meat etc (strict veg). But if another singh with turban is stood next to me then he is looked on as the superior in sikhism than myself, even though he does non of the good thinks I do.

So if I don't wear a turban (as a male) am I still a sikh?

I have read lots of comments where references made to Sikh - such as a sikh would not do this or would not do that.

Does a sikh have to be amritari. Does a male sikh have to wear a turban. Apply with the 5 k's etc.

Myself I don't have any distingusihing features that I'm a sikh to another person. BUT in my heart, my pull towards god is strong. I do part, naam jaap as much as I can, do seva as much as I can, I don't drink, smoke, eat meat etc (strict veg). But if another singh with turban is stood next to me then he is looked on as the superior in sikhism than myself, even though he does non of the good thinks I do.

Remember before Dhan Dhan Guru Gobind Singh Ji created the Khalsa there were Sikhs. To this day the Sindhi people of Karachi still call themselves Guru Nanak Dev Jis Sikhs.

Waheguroo jee ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo jee kee Fateh!

I keep bringing this up, but many of those "rehat" shabads were not written by our Gurus, and are not found in SGGS jee.

The definition of a sikh is the one that was agreed upon by sikh scholars and is posted on the SGPC website. In essence, its anyone who accepts Guru Granth sahib jee as their Guru, and is ACTIVELY trying to follow the path that they have laid out.

Waheguroo jee ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo jee kee Fateh!

yes you are a sikh you are a learner, but ones life is a journey from being a sikh who is a learner and tranform into a khalsa who is a all knowing pure being who is one with god

Mod Note: Topic has been discussed before. Please do a search.