Any Mre News On This

SaRpAnCh

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"'Racist' Claim As Turban Is Forced Off

A BRIERFIELD Sikh has made an official complaint to the police after he says he was forced to publicly take off his turban and let down his hair after being arrested.

Newsagent Arpan Singh (21), who was accused of having stolen goods at his shop on Colne Road, claims the custody officer's orders were racist.

As a central part of their religion and as a symbol of spirituality, Sikhs do not cut their hair and wear it on top of their head in a bun covered by a turban. It is mandatory for all adult males. The turban is the outward manifestation of a man's religion and makes the Sikh instantly recognisable.

But on this occasion Mr Singh says he was not wearing the full turban, which is like a long scarf wound around the head, but the "patka", a small covering 30cms square, over the hair and held in place by an elastic band.

The incident happened on Friday, January 19th, at teatime.

After being arrested at his shop, Mr Singh was taken to the custody suite at Burnley Police Station, where, when requested, he took off his shoes, some friendship bands, his necklace and the waist cord from his tracksuit trousers.

He said: "I tried to explain to the officer that it was part of my religion that I did not take off my turban, but he did not want to know and kept talking to other officers. He said that I had no choice but to take it off and feeling intimidated I did so in front of all the other people, who were laughing. He said I also had to take the elastic band out of my hair and let my hair down. I felt humiliated."

Mr Singh, known to everyone as "Johnny", said his 14-year-old brother, Arjun, was also arrested and taken to the same custody cells before him, but he was not made to take off his patka.

"That is why I say the officer dealing with me was racist. This was not a case of religious ignorance. He was also disrespectful and I found it very upsetting.

"Even Sikhs in police forces throughout the country are allowed to wear their turbans, which bear the badge," said Mr Singh.

He said he asked independent custody visitors at the police station to find out why he had to take his patka off when his brother did not.

He said: "They returned saying it was for health and safety reasons – my health and safety and that my brother also had to take his off."

British-born Mr Singh added: "I have had taunts of 'Sikh b......' hurled at me by other Asians in the town but I did not expect racism from our police."

Police removed cigarettes and SIM cards for mobile phones together with a bicycle he bought at a car boot sale at Colne Sports Centre in October. So far he has not been charged with any criminal offence, was granted police bail, and has to report back to the police later this month.

He said: "I am an honest person."

He added: "I was also arrested in June last year relating to another incident and I was later cleared. I wonder who is feeding the police this information."

He has made formal complaints to the Acting Chief Constable of Lancashire, Steve Finnigan, to Chief Superintendant Jerry Graham, head of the police in Pennine Division, and has written to the Independent Police Complaints Commission. A police spokesman confirmed that Mr Graham had received his letter and the matter was being investigated.

02 February 2007"

:)

it says hes been arrested before, my impression is that he likes to get into trouble, and not so sweet and innocent. .........there seems to be a lack of information before we can really see whats happening here and what to do..............sikhs should try to wear the full dastar at all times.

What a blatent missuse of Sikhi.

The guy sounds like a typical no-mark. The usual idiotic type who remember to use their faith when they are in a tricky situation. I never knew that Guru Gobind Singh Ji Mahraj instructed his Singh to wear commando style patka. I bet the no-mark is also one of those who like a trimmed beard. So police interfering with patka is a no no and but it is ok for him to trim his beard.

These type of people are just as bad as the lad in scotland who had a haircut and claimed he had been beaten up.

The guy sounds like a typical no-mark. The usual idiotic type who remember to use their faith when they are in a tricky situation. I never knew that Guru Gobind Singh Ji Mahraj instructed his Singh to wear commando style patka. I bet the no-mark is also one of those who like a trimmed beard. So police interfering with patka is a no no and but it is ok for him to trim his beard.

These type of people are just as bad as the lad in scotland who had a haircut and claimed he had been beaten up.

It dosn't seem as if you have tacken the time to read the actual article wich this thread started with.

I'm quite disapointed that you have made a number of comments which on the face of it you are quoting as the truth.

Would it not be better to give this man the benifit of the dout, and not attack his character.

He was clearly treated differently to his brother who was also held at the same police station, maybe he has a legitamate grievance.

I think you really need to read the article properly before you make any comments. DOES IT REALLY MATTER WHATS ON HIS HEAD AS LONG AS HE COVERS HIS HEAD. Dyamn! You can call it mini dastar, you can call whatever. How do you know hes got a trimmed beard etc, have you seen him? No, well keep those comments to yourself. Emi baas!

I think you really need to read the article properly before you make any comments. DOES IT REALLY MATTER WHATS ON HIS HEAD AS LONG AS HE COVERS HIS HEAD. Dyamn! You can call it mini dastar, you can call whatever. How do you know hes got a trimmed beard etc, have you seen him? No, well keep those comments to yourself. Emi baas!

I guess you are right. Of casue it does not matter what you wear on your head as long as it is covered. So be it a muslim or jewish style scullcap, rastafarian style hat or a simple baseball cap, as long as the hair is covered it is ok.

What a load of bolla£s. Stopping making up Sikhi, since when has the pathetic punjab police commando style patka been a valid replacement for a proper dastaar.

Yes I know him, he is a complete no mark and not the shining Sikh you guys are trying to paint him as. Go find out whether he has taken Amrit and is proper Kahlsa before backing him to the hilt. The guy is not a Khalsa yet uses Sikhi to have a go at the police. Pathetic ! When you ask him also ask him about the money he does not run through his accounts to avoid paying tax. Does Sikhi allow him to do that ?

I'm too se%y for my dastaar too se%y for my dastaar

So se%y it hurts

And i'm too se%y for phagwara too se%y for phagwara

Ludhiana and Moga

And i'm too se%y for your party

Too se%y for your party

No way i'm bhangra dancing

I'm a model you know what I mean

And I wear my little commando patka on the catwalk

Yeah on the catwalk on the catwalk yeah

I do my little tatee on the catwalk

The point is whether this gentleman was a mona or not and whether he was wearing a 'patka' just for some nominal symbolism.

I do not think an avg British cop has the guts to ask a proper Sikh to remove his headgear. They live in mortal fear of racism charges being flung at them.