Taking Cod Liver Oil Tablets

Guest _Gurps_

Guest _Gurps_

Recently during a family convention, my Mami mentioned that her Doctor had prescribed cod liver oil tablets for her aching joints. I was shocked because she's Amritdharee and has excellent knowledge of Gurbani.

Therefore I was hesitant to mention anything in case I made a fool of myself.

What do you think? Are there any alternatives? grin.gif

this is not the same, this is a much bigger deal.. You should do whatever you can possibly do to avoid eating meat or any meat products unless it is absolutely necessary... I guarantee there are other medications she can take that wont be contradictory to Sikhi and Maryada

Read this...

Omega-3 and Heart Disease

It’s been known for a long time that people whose diet is based largely on fish and is rich in omega-3 have low rates of heart disease. This led researchers to investigate whether giving fish to people who had already suffered a heart attack would prevent them from having another attack. These are ‘secondary prevention trials’ and two of the largest are the DART and GISSI trials, which both used fish-based omega-3 fats. They did show a reduced risk, but much less publicised was the LYON trial, which used plant oils as a source of omega-3 fats. The results of this study showed that plant oils reduced the risk of a secondary heart attack by at least twice that of fish oils!

DART Trial

It found that males who had been advised to eat as much as 400g of oily fish per week showed a reduction of almost 30 per cent in mortality (death) over two years. Although there were fewer fatal heart attacks, the total number of heart attacks wasn’t reduced. It is thought that fish oils help to normalise heartbeat rhythms and prevent blood from becoming too sticky and ‘clumping’ (3). Despite this apparent reduction in risk, a follow-up study 10 years later found there were no long-term survival benefits (4).

GISSI Trial

This trial looked at people on a Mediterranean diet who had had a heart attack and survived it. Fish oil supplements equivalent to a whopping 100g of oily fish per day were given and showed a 20 per cent reduction in mortality (5).

LYON Trial

This was another secondary prevention trial, but instead of fish or fish oils, plant-derived omega-3 fatty acids were used. Amazingly, a 70 per cent reduction in mortality was achieved – more than double that of the fish trials! There was also a significant reduction in coronary ‘events’ and these protective effects were found to start quickly (6). Four years on, patients were still following the diet and their hearts were still being protected (7). Subsequent studies have confirmed the power of plant omega-3 fatty acids in protecting the heart (8,9).

Plant Oils Better than Fish Oils

Comparing the three main trials shows that:

1. plant oils are far more effective than fish oils in reducing the chance of cardiac death in high-risk patients;
  2. plant oils reduce the risk of dying from secondary heart attack by more than double that of fish oils;
  3. plant oils reduce the number of painful, non-fatal heart attacks;
  4. there are long-term survival benefits from consuming plant oils.

No Gain for Low-Risk

The trials we’ve written about all looked at people who were at high risk of a heart attack. Because people are termed ‘low-risk’, it doesn’t mean they will never have an attack, it simply means they are further down the risk scale. They are those who eat low levels of saturated fat and therefore can include vegetarians and vegans (10,11). When researchers looked at low-risk groups they found that eating fish had no effect on reducing their chances of dying from a heart attack (12).

Toxins in Fish

Human beings have been so successful at spreading pollution that environmental contamination is widespread and all oceans now contain toxic chemicals. Persistent organic pollutants (POPs) are now part of most food chains and they become more concentrated the higher up the chain you go. Mercury, organophosphates, PCBs, dioxins, and radioactive pollution in some fish, are all highly toxic to life.

Fatty foods have a tendency to ‘soak’ up toxins and so oily fish are particularly prone to absorbing them – the toxins are actually stored in the fatty part of the fish. By eating smaller fish, oily fish take on their toxic load and become ever more toxic themselves! POPs are implicated in heart disease, infertility and can harm developing foetuses. Responding to a Food Standards Agency 2002 survey, the Consumers’ Association warned that high levels of dioxins and PCBs in fish and fish oil supplements could “put millions at risk” (13).

Mercury in Fish

Humans should avoid mercury in their diet as it acts like a poison, affecting their kidneys, heart and central nervous system (CNS). Exposure to mercury is a particular risk for unborn children where the main organs, especially the CNS, are still developing. According to a government agency, fish eating is responsible for the majority of mercury in people’s diets (14). Following a Food Standards Agency survey of mercury levels in fish, official advice is now for pregnant and breastfeeding women to limit how much tuna they eat and for them and children under 16 not to eat shark, swordfish or marlin at all. (15)

Other studies have found that over 60 per cent of bluefin tuna caught in the Mediterranean exceed EC ‘safety’ figures. Researchers have calculated that some of those people who eat high levels of these oily fish will far exceed the World Health Organisation’s (WHO) ‘safety’ levels (16, 17). A 2000 government study failed to detect any mercury in vegetarian diets and concluded, “it is reasonable to assume that because participants in this study did not eat fish, their dietary exposures to mercury will be substantially less than those of the general population” (18).

Protect and Survive

One way mercury harms the body is by acting as a potent free radical. Free radicals are unstable molecules that damage body cells and the body’s main defence against them are antioxidants – beta-carotene (converted to vitamin A), and vitamins C and E. Plant foods are rich in these antioxidants and plant oils are particularly rich in vitamin E, which stops EFAs from deteriorating or going off. Only plant oils, not fish oils, contain protective vitamin E.

http://www.vegetarian.org.uk/factsheets/fishfactsheet.html

Guest Blahhhh

VJKK VJKF,

I take Vertese Flaxseed Oil Tablets (see link below on where you can order them from). They are an excellent alternative to cod-liver oil tablets and just as good yet friendly for vegans.

Vertese Flaxseed Oil

Sangat Ji there ARE options, you just have to look. Literally a minute search in Google bought up plenty of options. Those of you saying you haven't found an alternative obviously didn't look too hard for one??

Ok I guess it may be understandable or excusable if you need to compromise your principles for your health when there are no other options available...

BUT if there are options out there, yet you do not take the time to look for them then I don't think that is excusable.

To the veerji/Bhenji that started this post I suggest you order some of these and give them to your mamiji. I'm sure she will be happy you took the time out to help her! :)