Ucl London 84 Play, Please Check

fists_of_fury

Before we jump to conclusions or anything does anyone have any more info about this, please view the link I have posted below:

http://forums.waheguroo.com/The-1984-Diary...gra-t17699.html

What do you guys/girls make of it I hope its not what I think it is, but lets get all the solid info then decide for ourselves.

This was posted on the other forum by a member (I have attached what they have said below), I have managed 2 get hold of the poster and attached it aswell. Does anyone have a DIRECT NUMBER for these London Sikh Society Lot?

Was surfing online recently and came across the following event which is taking place next month. I have pasted all the information I could find below with a poster which I personally find offensive.

"Based in the time of 1984, the play brings to life a story of friendship, love and finding yourself in the challenges that life throws at you. A mixture of comedy and exploration of relationships with an underlying message that we can all take home with us."

I can't believe a Sikh Society in London has decided to do a play with jokes, bhangra, love story, etc with the core theme of 1984. Its really sad to see sikh students don't seem to realise the sensitivity around the sikh genocide period of 1984. During the years after Bhai Fauja Singh saheedi there was not one mela or anything of the sort due to the atmosphere in Panjab. Is this going to become another "Bezti" play feasco?

Also the poster is just disrespect with a situate of a women dancing in front of Darbar Sahib. Is this a UCL play or all London Sikh Societies?

2007 UCL Sikh Society Production

Information

Group InfoName:2007 UCL Sikh Society ProductionType:Entertainment & Arts - Performing ArtsDescription:For the first time ever, UCL Sikh Society will be holding a production in form of a play touching on themes we all hold close to our heart.

Based in the time of 1984, the play brings to life a story of friendship, love and finding yourself in the challenges that life throws at you. A mixture of comedy and exploration of relationships with an underlying message that we can all take home with us.

It is open for everyone of any religion or any university!

If you're interested in seeing it or taking part in it - please regularly check this group for updates and news!Contact InfoEmail:sikhsocproduction@hotmail.co.ukCountry:England

Recent News

Hope you've had a good xmas and new year! Now that we are back at uni, we can make our final preparations for the sikhsoc play, now set to be in mid-march.

The play is coming up in just over a months time! Tickets will be on sale very soon!

This is a last call for anyone who wants to help out backstage on the night..and also for anybody who wants to be part of the band...so any musicians or singers who are interested in taking part, please let us know asap!

post-3181-1171551715.jpg

This was posted on the other forum by a member (I have attached what they have said below), I have managed 2 get hold of the poster and attached it aswell. Does anyone have a DIRECT NUMBER for these London Sikh Society Lot?
Was surfing online recently and came across the following event which is taking place next month. I have pasted all the information I could find below with a poster which I personally find offensive.

"Based in the time of 1984, the play brings to life a story of friendship, love and finding yourself in the challenges that life throws at you. A mixture of comedy and exploration of relationships with an underlying message that we can all take home with us."

I can't believe a Sikh Society in London has decided to do a play with jokes, bhangra, love story, etc with the core theme of 1984. Its really sad to see sikh students don't seem to realise the sensitivity around the sikh genocide period of 1984. During the years after Bhai Fauja Singh saheedi there was not one mela or anything of the sort due to the atmosphere in Panjab. Is this going to become another "Bezti" play feasco?

Also the poster is just disrespect with a situate of a women dancing in front of Darbar Sahib. Is this a UCL play or all London Sikh Societies?

2007 UCL Sikh Society Production

Information

Group InfoName:2007 UCL Sikh Society ProductionType:Entertainment & Arts - Performing ArtsDescription:For the first time ever, UCL Sikh Society will be holding a production in form of a play touching on themes we all hold close to our heart.

Based in the time of 1984, the play brings to life a story of friendship, love and finding yourself in the challenges that life throws at you. A mixture of comedy and exploration of relationships with an underlying message that we can all take home with us.

It is open for everyone of any religion or any university!

If you're interested in seeing it or taking part in it - please regularly check this group for updates and news!Contact InfoEmail:sikhsocproduction@hotmail.co.ukCountry:England

Recent News

Hope you've had a good xmas and new year! Now that we are back at uni, we can make our final preparations for the sikhsoc play, now set to be in mid-march.

The play is coming up in just over a months time! Tickets will be on sale very soon!

This is a last call for anyone who wants to help out backstage on the night..and also for anybody who wants to be part of the band...so any musicians or singers who are interested in taking part, please let us know asap!

post-3181-1171551715.jpg

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh!

Piari Saadh Sangat Jio,

I’m contacting you on behalf of the organisers and to answer a few questions and concerns you may have.

First of all, we apologise profusely for the offence caused by the poster- that was NOT the official poster for the play, but was just a poster someone designed and put up on a “Facebook” (similar to HI5) group for the play. It will be removed immediately.

The play DOES NOT include a love story. Furthermore, the comedy aspects are only featured in the first half of the play, pre-1984. The second half of the play is very serious and intends to try and convey the anger, confusion and fear the riots of 1984 had upon one family alone.

However 1984 is NOT the central theme of the play as it does not focus on the political aspects of what happened. Instead the play aims to educate people about Sikhi.

The play was intended for a mixed student audience- so the themes of friendship, Love- for family, and Sikhi and finding yourself were promoted so as to attract people to come and watch it!

Furthermore, the production is not a UCL play but instead is collaboration between members of a number of London Sikh societies.

This play should not and cannot be compared to the “bezti” play fiasco because there is no controversial content in this play.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh!

• 3 weeks later...

I think a few friends and I will be attending too, I spoke to one of the organisers who assured me that there was no funny business in the play and it focused on sikh ideals and conditions in and around 1984... I think the problem was chinese whispers before it even started. Like someone intelligent here said, see it, and then address any issues (should they need addressing). Expect a full review/report in SikhSpeak March Edition and on the website...with plenty of pics :)

Gurfateh Ji