Kara Kachara Edhai Rhaana

WJKK WJKF!!!

2day wen I attened my P.E (physical education) class, my teacher threatend me to take off my karra or he'll take it 2 court or fail me, i tried to explain that its religous & its not supposed 2 be taken off, but he just kept on sayin he'll take me 2 court.

What does sangat think?

Bhull Chuk Maaf!

Tell him "See you in court". LOL, just kidding, hunn keh na baiththee kitay :) . I guess you can ask your dad to talk to the school authorities and sort it out.

can i just ask a question, have you taken amrit? if not then do you keep your kesh?

You dont need to worry, there is no way he can take you to court. i used to be a mona back when i was at school and i didnt know anything about sikhi so i used to take my kara off for sports etc, but i would never do that now, you could wrap something over it so you dont harm anyone when in contact sport or sit it out until you come to a solution, but as far as the court thing is concerned, he cant do anything........let us know where your from etc and hopefully we can sort it out or offer advice on what the law is in ur country.

What did everyone else do at school? there must be something to get around it thers plenty of gursikhs going to schools n colls, like using wrist bands or wearing a small kara which is tight around the wrist for sports or putting it in your pocket? i duno wats right etc.

Bhaaji I suggest you and your parents arrange a meeting with the headmaster. Keep calm, graceful and dignified.

Explain the situation and how you were threatened. Ask the headteacher if a teacher threatened a child to court if he didn't remove a mandatory article of faith, what would you do? Ask the headmaster questions so that he responds directly. Express how its unacceptable and how you are offended and fear that if this is not nipped in the bud the teacher could get away with worse.

It could be possible that the teacher is ignorant of Sikhi and didn't mean anything by the comment. However, something is offensive if the person on the receiving end finds the comment offensive. He should have known better. It might be the case that the headmaster has a word with the teacher and the teacher writes an apology letter to you and your family. This will make him think twice before making hasty comments in the future.

Hope that helps.

The above advice is first step in my personal experience. The second step if that fails is to seek advice from your local CRE (Commission for Racial Equality) and report to Local Education Authority. However, I am quite sure that everything will be resolved by the headmaster and things will not go further.

Let the Sangat know how it goes Bhaaji.

Guru Raakhaa.

i had the same problem when i was at school back in the 90's

as a frequent basketball player and a pupil in gcse p.e. we were always taking part in sports activities. though these activities werent full contact, in a western persons view, the kara can be seen as a hazard whilst engaging in these activities, similar to the way necklaces, bracelets and earrings/earstuds.

its simple, jus cover it! i used to get wristbands from sports shops, similar to the ones they wear in tennis, or even wrap it up with a bit of material. at least way, u r still wearing it, and its covered so that it is no possible hazard. that should soon shut ur teacher up, it did with mine.

waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh

1. WHERE ARE YOU?!!! which country, city?

2. Who witnessed this conversation? Write down their names. Are they supportive and willing to confirm what the teacher said, if so ask them to INDEPENDENTLY write a detailed statement as to their recollection.

3. You write down a detailed statement immediately as to what took place.

TELL US WHERE YOU ARE!

1)I'm in Australia N.S.W

2)My whole class was there, they said that they'll stick up 4 me.

3) Ive already written 1 yaar.

why don't you just get a wrist band..and slip the karra under that...that way your teacher will be more comfortable with it not hurting anyone..

if you wear a dastaar ...you could do what i used to so and just take it off when you're changing for gym and put it in your dastaar...this was for when we had to play contact sports...

The school is still looking at the matter of the wrist band, they are concerend about everyone else's saftey. lol A cricket bat or a hockey stick are much more harmful than my karra y dont they ban them then. lol

WJKK WJKF!!!

2day wen I attened my P.E (physical education) class, my teacher threatend me to take off my karra or he'll take it 2 court or fail me, i tried to explain that its religous & its not supposed 2 be taken off, but he just kept on sayin he'll take me 2 court.

What does sangat think?

Bhull Chuk Maaf!

Tell him "See you in court". LOL, just kidding, hunn keh na baiththee kitay :) . I guess you can ask your dad to talk to the school authorities and sort it out.

Done my dad told them that its apart of our dharam but they said its up 2 the P.E department.

can i just ask a question, have you taken amrit? if not then do you keep your kesh?

You dont need to worry, there is no way he can take you to court. i used to be a mona back when i was at school and i didnt know anything about sikhi so i used to take my kara off for sports etc, but i would never do that now, you could wrap something over it so you dont harm anyone when in contact sport or sit it out until you come to a solution, but as far as the court thing is concerned, he cant do anything........let us know where your from etc and hopefully we can sort it out or offer advice on what the law is in ur country.

What did everyone else do at school? there must be something to get around it thers plenty of gursikhs going to schools n colls, like using wrist bands or wearing a small kara which is tight around the wrist for sports or putting it in your pocket? i duno wats right etc.

I havent taken amrit YET ... but I try & keep my rehat,

There is no other gursikh at my school thats y their picking on me.

I'll wear the wristband wen/if they get back 2 me.

but i still think its foolish, lyk i said before i cricket bat or hockey stick has more chance of hurting someone rather than my karra.

i had the same problem when i was at school back in the 90's

as a frequent basketball player and a pupil in gcse p.e. we were always taking part in sports activities. though these activities werent full contact, in a western persons view, the kara can be seen as a hazard whilst engaging in these activities, similar to the way necklaces, bracelets and earrings/earstuds.

its simple, jus cover it! i used to get wristbands from sports shops, similar to the ones they wear in tennis, or even wrap it up with a bit of material. at least way, u r still wearing it, and its covered so that it is no possible hazard. that should soon shut ur teacher up, it did with mine.

waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh

When we were playing rugby at school (back in the day) and everyone was piling on and tackling each other n my kara scrapped against this guys head, but i didnt even realise it was me and it seemed like he only brushed against my wrist. anyway the guy started screaming n was bleeding , cos it must have scrapped his ear, and i was wearing a long sleeved rugby shirt so u cudnt see the kara , and no one knew what happened , n the guy didnt know how it happened with all the comotion, so someone said it must have been someones stud. n all my team mates knew it was me but kep quiet, dont even think our coach found out.

ok thats my confession................................when i was little i used to take it off cos i didnt know nething but know id recommend ppl dont and find an alternative way.

have u did ardas to guru gobind singh ji ???? no ....

if u have tried ur best nothing is coming out .... go to gurudwara give bhenta of pucha amrit karah parshad ... and do ardas .... if u had done that very first day there would not have been any problem ... guru sahib got his mind changed himself ....

sikhs are forgetting ardas ..... and its power