Opinion On Wearing A Kara

singh2k

now look at us:

"i cut my hair, but i love Sikhism so i were a Kara" (SLAP)

"i wear a Dastaar and trim my beard im a Sikh" (SLAP)

"my boyfriend (SLAP) is a paki (SLAP), i got highlights in my (cut) hair" (SLAP)

"my dads too strict, he wants me to go Gurdwara" (SLAP)

"i'm a {insert cast}" (SLAP, SLAP)

I laughed at all of them!!

This is the best:

"my boyfriend (SLAP) is a paki (SLAP), i got highlights in my (cut) hair" (SLAP)

"i'm a {insert cast}" (SLAP, SLAP)

Applause, applause!

And as for Sikhism/Sikhi.. It is just really annoying when my spell check highlights words it doesn't recognize, so I just put in 'Sikhism'.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wjkk wjkf

Please look up Dhan Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji's definition of Sikh (in the later years of life).

It is not 'one who learns'. The Punjabi word 'sikh' means 'to learn'. However, in Sikhism, the (spiritual) definition of 'Sikh' is not the same.

*shrugs*

Khalsa Ji I understand where your coming from. Let me ask you why is the common definition of the 'Punjabi word' always referred to as 'learner/disciple/follower'? Why isn't the actual definition of Shri Guru Gobind Singh ji used commonly?

There was a time when you were not considered a Sikh (adherent of the Sikh Way of Life) unless:

--You had unshorn hair,

--You took Amrit and awoke at Amrit Vela,

--You did Nitnem,

--You had Panj Kakkar (Kara, Kachera, Kanga, Kirpan, Kesh(KESKI WAS A GIVEN, pretty much every1 wore one back in the day Persians, Phastuns(Afgans), Moughals, Hindu's, Sikhs)

--You had Sharda and Piyaar

--You followed Guru's Hukam

Ah. Bhaji, I see what you mean by a 'Sikh'.

Does this mean, we as amritdhari's find it hard to call ourselfs sikhs? Do we always follows the guru's hukum?

For sure I know I do not follow all the Guru's hukum, therefore I would not be able to qualify as a sikh.

Bhul chuk maaf Khalsa jio

wjkk wjkf

the standard is set by Guru Ji not by us (thank God) otherwise every jannaa khannaa would be a Sikh.

the standard is so high it almost seems unattainable, yet we have historical proof that it is attainable....

Why do you think the standard is so high?

Purity by the nature of its definition is pure, without blemish, not one speck of dirt otherwise it would be almost pure.

The realm of the infinite (Vaheguru) is absolute. Only in the physical existence do we create complexities and varying distinctions.

Vaheguru has created and set out a divine path, to walk upon which requires unwavering discipline and dedication. The journey will create a character that is the very reflection of the pure and infinite.

The standard is so high and divine that merely travelling upon the forged path liberation is attained.......

'Jag_Singh' post='422726' date='Jul 7 2009, 10:28 AM']wjkk wjkf
Please look up Dhan Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji's definition of Sikh (in the later years of life).

It is not 'one who learns'. The Punjabi word 'sikh' means 'to learn'. However, in Sikhism, the (spiritual) definition of 'Sikh' is not the same.

Let me ask you why is the common definition of the 'Punjabi word' always referred to as 'learner/disciple/follower'? Why isn't the actual definition of Shri Guru Gobind Singh ji used commonly?

Bhul chuk maaf Khalsa jio

wjkk wjkf

Why is the common definition of the 'Punjabi word' always referred to as 'learner/disciple/follower'?

Actually.. The common definition of the 'Punjabi word "sikh" does not refer to a Sikh person.

TO ANSWER QUESTION 1: The word 'sikh' means '(to) learn'. This word is a VERB.

.. Whereas the the spiritual word 'Sikh' is defined as a disciple/learner. This word is a NOUN.

So one is a verb, and one is a noun.

TO ANSWER QUESTION 2: The verb is, of course, more commonly used because it is a part of sentence structure. The noun is obviously less commonly used because it is a noun, therefore, not a part of a sentence structure.

Therefore, having different definitions.

Sorry.. That's the best way I can explain. Hope you understand.