Essay Marathon #7

japmans

ਸਲੋਕੁ ਮਹਲਾ ੨ ॥

salok mehlaa 2.

Shalok, Second Mehl:

ਏਹ ਕਿਨੇਹੀ ਆਸਕੀ ਦੂਜੈ ਲਗੈ ਜਾਇ ॥

ayh kinayhee aaskee doojai lagai jaa-ay.

What sort of love is this, which clings to duality?

ਨਾਨਕ ਆਸਕੁ ਕਾਂਢੀਐ ਸਦ ਹੀ ਰਹੈ ਸਮਾਇ ॥

naanak aasak kaaNdhee-ai sad hee rahai samaa-ay.

O Nanak, he/she alone is called a lover, who remains forever immersed in absorption.

ਚੰਗੈ ਚੰਗਾ ਕਰਿ ਮੰਨੇ ਮੰਦੈ ਮੰਦਾ ਹੋਇ ॥

changai changa kar mannay mandai mandaa ho-ay.

But one who feels good only when good is done for them, and feels bad when things go badly -

ਆਸਕੁ ਏਹੁ ਨ ਆਖੀਐ ਜਿ ਲੇਖੈ ਵਰਤੈ ਸੋਇ ॥੧॥

aasak ayhu na aakhee-ai je laykhai vartai so-ay. ||1||

do not call them a lover. he/she trades only for their own account. ||1||

Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji -Ang 474

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

pray.gifWaheguru Ji Ka Khalsa! Waheguru Ji Ke Fateh! pray.gif

What is love you ask.

Well This is what Daas Thinks Love is.

Love is a mixture of feelings.

Hate is a type of love.

confusion is a type of love.

You hate it when you have made a mistake and then for a moment you go blind and cannot see Guru Ji but this is becouse you love guru ji

You get confused becouse not many people try to see guru ji

you want everyone to see guru ji

but they dont try

you want everyone to love guru ji

Everyone says where do we find guru ji, why cant we see god?

well you dont have to look to find guru ji

Jap Naam with all the love you have

let your heart and sole cry out to vaheguru ji

and you will see god everywhere you go

god is in every person

every animal

every insect

every bird

you will be able to see god every where you go

every time you close your eyes you can see vaheguru ji

you want to just jap naam 24/7

Love is when you cant stop crying of happiness and cant stop repeating gods name because you feel so close to vaheguru ji

love is nothing compared to vaheguru ji

god is more than love

god goes beyond love

we cannot describe in words what god is

love is just a word

god is the whole meaning to this life

we were put on earth so we could jap naam

jap naam for ever and ever

if only we could do that without getting told off

but we are always being tested in this life by guru ji

Sorry non of that properly made sence

bal chuk maaf

Naam Japu

Today's Hukamnama from Hamandar Sahib;

SHALOK, THIRD MEHL:

He alone knows God, and he alone is a Brahmin, who walks in harmony with the Will of the True Guru. One whose heart is filled with the Lord, is freed of egotism and disease. He chants the Lords Praises, gathers virtue, and his light merges into the Light. How rare are those Brahmins who, in this age, come to know God, by lovingly focusing their consciousness on Him. O Nanak, those who are blessed by the Lords Glance of Grace, remain lovingly attuned to the Name of the True Lord. || 1 || THIRD MEHL: One who does not serve the True Guru, and who does not love the Word of the Shabad, earns the very painful disease of egotism; he is so very selfish. Acting stubborn-mindedly, he is reincarnated over and over again. The birth of the Gurmukh is fruitful and auspicious. The Lord unites him with Himself. O Nanak, when the Merciful Lord grants His Mercy, one obtains the wealth of the Naam, the Name of the Lord. || 2 || PAUREE: All glorious greatness is in the Name of the Lord; as Gurmukh, meditate on the Lord. One obtains all that he asks for, if he keeps his consciousness focused on the Lord. If he tells the secrets of his soul to the True Guru, then he finds absolute peace. When the Perfect Guru bestows the Lords Teachings, then all hunger departs. One who is blessed with such pre-ordained destiny, sings the Glorious Praises of the Lord. || 3 ||

vaheguru ji ka khalsa vaheguru ji ki fateh

(I'm going to post this in the Gurbani Vichaar section as well as here, because it seems like it belongs there too.)

We have a wealth of Gurbani which tells us how to love each other and how to live every day of our lives implementing the ultimate Truth. There are so many small thing which we can do on the path to True Love, but usually we choose to do the big, spontaneous things because those are the ones which don’t require commitment and dedication.

ਸਲੋਕੁ ਮਹਲਾ ੨ ॥

salok mehlaa 2.

Shalok, Second Mehl:

ਨਾਨਕ ਆਸਕੁ ਕਾਂਢੀਐ ਸਦ ਹੀ ਰਹੈ ਸਮਾਇ ॥

naanak aasak kaaNdhee-ai sad hee rahai samaa-ay.

O Nanak, he/she alone is called a lover, who remains forever immersed in absorption.

But one who feels good only when good is done for them, and feels bad when things go badly -

aasak ayhu na aakhee-ai je laykhai vartai so-ay. ||1||

do not call them a lover. he/she trades only for their own account.

Degha Singh has been posting this shahbad in different places for a few days now, and it ties in nicely with this whole ‘love’ theme in the Essay Marathon. In this shabad Guru Angad Dev Ji Maharaj really makes us think about what life would be like if we didn’t have Sikhi to follow. For the majority of world love is the bond and connection humans feel towards their friends and family – the people close to them. But we have to ask ourselves what this love is based on.

I once read a book which explained love in terms of our human blindness. More often than not, when someone says “I love you” they are actually implying that they get pleasure out of you, or “My pain is reduced by interacting with you”. However if one person becomes a source of pain for the other, then the interaction wouldn’t work. “If I got more pain than pleasure from interacting with you, I would hate to be in your association.” If anyone in a relationship becomes a source of pain, the relationship is weakened. As soon as one of the two parties feels their interests are not being met, conflict begins. This leads to arguments resulting in pain, worry, stress. This is exactly what Dhan Guru Angad Dev Ji is saying.

aasak ayhu na aakhee-ai je laykhai vartai so-ay.

do not call them a lover. he/she trades only for their own account.

We use the holy word ‘love’ so often, but for every person this word means something different. Self-love lies at the foundation of all human love. In our society today people go on dates. Usually this is determined by the way people look, whether they are attractive or not. People believe in love at first sight – but this is at first sight. It isn’t love at first conversation, or love at first INSIGHT – there is no knowledge of the other person’s character or moral values.

We’re all humans, and most of us have a pool of ego in our minds. Our world revolves around this – our world revolves around ‘us’. Our ego extends outwards into the things we come in contact with – we begin to label things as ours. My religion, my mother, my spouse, my body. This gives us a feeling of identification with the objects and people around us. We connect with things. If our friend feels sad, we feel sad. If someone criticizes our clothes or our home or anything else we deem to be ours, we feel upset – even though these things should theoretically be completely distinct from ‘us’. The whole shebang begins to sound like a complicated web of Maya – yet we all think it is ‘normal’ to feel this way, and because we’re ‘only human’ it is justified. This identification results in attachment. And we mistake this attachment for love. Or maybe for some people attachment IS love. It depends on the individual and their state of mind.

Guru Tegh Bahadur Sahib Ji, the Blanket of the World, makes us realize the nature of human love on Ang 536:

ਤਨ ਤੇ ਪ੍ਰਾਨ ਹੋਤ ਜਬ ਨਿਆਰੇ ਟੇਰਤ ਪ੍ਰੇਤਿ ਪੁਕਾਰਿ ॥

tan tay paraan hot jab ni-aaray tayrat parayt pukaar.

When the soul is separated from the body, then they will cry out, calling you a ghost.

ਆਧ ਘਰੀ ਕੋਊ ਨਹਿ ਰਾਖੈ ਘਰ ਤੇ ਦੇਤ ਨਿਕਾਰਿ ॥੧॥

aaDh gharee ko-oo neh raakhai ghar tay dayt nikaar.

No one will let you stay, for even half an hour; they drive you out of the house.

So then we come to ask what true love really is. But we don’t even need to ask, because Guru Arjan Dev Ji Maharaj has given us the answer Himself on Ang 257.

ਪਉੜੀ ॥

pa-orhee.

Pauree:

ਥਥਾ ਥਿਰੁ ਕੋਊ ਨਹੀ ਕਾਇ ਪਸਾਰਹੁ ਪਾਵ ॥

thathaa thir ko-oo nahee kaa-ay pasaarahu paav.

T'HAT'HA: Nothing is permanent - why do you stretch out your feet?

ਅਨਿਕ ਬੰਚ ਬਲ ਛਲ ਕਰਹੁ ਮਾਇਆ ਏਕ ਉਪਾਵ ॥

anik banch bal chhal karahu maa-i-aa ayk upaav.

You commit so many fraudulent and deceitful actions as you chase after Maya.

ਥੈਲੀ ਸੰਚਹੁ ਸ੍ਰਮੁ ਕਰਹੁ ਥਾਕਿ ਪਰਹੁ ਗਾਵਾਰ ॥

thailee sanchahu saram karahu thaak parahu gaavaar.

You work to fill up your bag, you fool, and then you fall down exhausted.

ਮਨ ਕੈ ਕਾਮਿ ਨ ਆਵਈ ਅੰਤੇ ਅਉਸਰ ਬਾਰ ॥

man kai kaam na aavee antay a-osar baar.

But this shall be of no use to you at all at that very last instant.

ਥਿਤਿ ਪਾਵਹੁ ਗੋਬਿਦ ਭਜਹੁ ਸੰਤਹ ਕੀ ਸਿਖ ਲੇਹੁ ॥

thit paavhu gobid bhajahu santeh kee sikh layho.

You shall find stability only by vibrating upon the Lord of the Universe, and accepting the Teachings of the Saints.

ਪ੍ਰੀਤਿ ਕਰਹੁ ਸਦ ਏਕ ਸਿਉ ਇਆ ਸਾਚਾ ਅਸਨੇਹੁ ॥

pareet karahu sad ayk si-o i-aa saachaa asnayhu.

Embrace love for the One Lord forever - this is true love!

ਕਾਰਨ ਕਰਨ ਕਰਾਵਨੋ ਸਭ ਬਿਧਿ ਏਕੈ ਹਾਥ ॥

kaaran karan karaavano sabh biDh aikai haath.

He is the Doer, the Cause of causes. All ways and means are in His Hands alone.

ਜਿਤੁ ਜਿਤੁ ਲਾਵਹੁ ਤਿਤੁ ਤਿਤੁ ਲਗਹਿ ਨਾਨਕ ਜੰਤ ਅਨਾਥ ॥੩੩॥

jit jit laavhu <admin-profanity filter activated> <admin-profanity filter activated> lageh naanak jant anaath.

Whatever You attach me to, to that I am attached; O Nanak, I am just a helpless creature.

Akaal Purakh will reveal Himself in the hearts of the Gurmukhs who love Him. They surrender to His Hukam, they have no other need, no other love, no other demand. They don’t identify with other bodies, not even with their own. There is no difference between truly loving Akaal Purakh and truly loving ‘other’ because in essence everything IS God. As a result, those beloved Gurmukhs develop love for all beings because Akaal Purakh’s eternal Jyot resides in everything in this creation.

khaniya.jpg

How to love Akaal Purakh: http://www.sikhsangat.com/index.php?showtopic=24110

~l~

vaheguru ji ka khalsa vaheguru ji ki fateh

WoW.. these are beyond amazing

waheguru...............i feel like we are all puppets of god and all feelings and view expressed here is GOD answering our questions.........sometimes we forget to look inside ourselves and when we start think that its in fact us (as manmukhs) that are expressing such beautiful thoughts we infact become detached from our Guru and go down the wrong path

bhul chuk maaf but hope hope this thread does not get twisted halfway through about something that bares no resemblence to the origional topic and keep these beautiful thoughts and feelings coming rolleyes.gif

JustME

xx

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh!!

I'm not much of a writer, so kept this very brief.

Recently I reached a stage in my life where I believed that I was incapable of love. Having lost a few people in a relatively short space of time, I thought that if I stopped feeling love then consequently I would stop feeling pain. So I isolated myself emotionally from my family and friends for several months. Fortunately, Guru Sahib saved me from this destructive state of mind before I could do any lasting damage. Once I returned to my former self, the experience of love became overwhelming. I would go to the Gurdwara and cry uncontrollably if a Gursikh hugged me, or if I listened to Gurbani. This is love.

Knowing that Guru Sahib loves me is my only understanding of this concept. If I didn’t belong to Guru Sahib, I would not feel love.

The idea of love is thrown around freely everyday, which doesn’t do this concept any justice. I’m trying not to use clichés here, but I feel that love cannot be defined through words- it can only be experienced by showing compassion and empathy. Maybe I haven’t helped the world by showing love; I have only assisted myself.

I hope that one day we can agree to disagree, thus building love rather than creating divisions within the Khalsa panth.

Bhul Chuk Maaf Karo Ji

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh!!!