Amritdhari Rituals?!?!

kirpakaro

waheguru jee ka khalsa! waheguru jee kee fateh!!

Khalsa4ever...i would have to disagree. just because u don't know why u are doing something it doesn't mean that it has become a ritual.

when we take amrit a lot of us have NO idea what sikhi and amrit really is...but until u take amrit you will never know. thas how so many things in sikhi are...we do our nitnem...and some of us just do it cuz we are told to, that doesn't mean that it's ritualistic.

and if u look at rituals...most ppl that follow them know why they do it. The hindu's were throwing water towards the sun to feed their dead relatives. THey knew exactly what they were doing.

Some things in sikhi are about blind faith. Guru Sahib Jee blesses us with Gian...whether someone tells us that this is why u have to do this...it wouldn't matter because you will really never know for yourself. In Sikhi everything you know comes from inside when Guru Sahib Jee does kirpa.

Okay i kind of went off for a bit there. But, i don't think that doing something without knowing the reason is ritualistic. put your faith in Guru Sahib Jee, He will let you know if what u are doing is wrong or right..don't not do it because you dont' understand it...because if that was how it were then i should probably have stopped doing my nitnem about 11 years ago. ;)

bhul chuck maaf karnaa

sandeep kaur

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oh gosh, now look what we've done... we've upset the exalted one, oh Khalsa Soulja... we all understand you're doing your gursikh best in your opinion, but dude, there's a line to when you shove it in people's faces... you have a problem doing nitnem in the mornings, others have problems doing what you may consider the "little things"

as for the taksali rehit maryaada... that is totally the first time i've ever read anything like that... i've always been taught that only the kurehits justify pesh, and that everything else can be controlled by your own will power.

but i guess i'm wrong... that's kinda shocking (not that i'm wrong, but reading that for the first time haha).

i guess all you can and should be doing is whatever YOUR punj piyaaray told you! you shouldn't really hafta go out to look to do more. Punj Piyaaray are Guru himself, right... so whatever they say can't be wrong. just take whatever they gave you and do it. Do whatever they told you and ignore everything that makes you question your faith.

KirpaKaro,

One of the biggest mistakes we could possibly make after we take Amrit is to use our own "mat" (way of thinking) to determine whats peshable and whats not peshable. We also use our own "mat" (of our mind --- Manmat) to justify our actions in disobeying the hukams of our punj Pyaray (Guru Sahib residing in 5 Chardi Kala Singhs or Singhnees)

Just look at the picture in your display. You have a picture of one of the greatest gursikhs ever - Bhai Sahib Bhai Randheer Singh Jee. Read his autobiography and analyze how much love and devotion Bhai Sahib put into every single aspect of his rehit regardless of his circumstances. Bhai Sahib was strong to his rehit in the most amazing circumstances. Bhai Sahib or any other true Gursikh would never voluntarily leave their kakaars. If Bhai Sahib and every other major Gursikh stuck to their Kakaars so strongly, who are we to use our own way of thinking to justify not having our Kakaars during showering or other activities? Are we smarter or more wise than them? ;)

nice posts everyone. becoming a Sikh is not an overnight thing its all about learning new things. and taking amrit does not make one a Sikh, its maintaining the rehit and continue learning. if we make a small mistake then we do ardaas and we are forgiven. Sikhism is not like the Taliban. you are not penalized for making an small honest mistake. if you do something major, like commiting one of the 4 khuriets then that is different. even the panj pyarays told us that we would have to come before them if we commited one of the 4 khuriets. so thats what I go with. and if you do something because you didn't know any better then that is also ok as long as you learn from your mistake. this is what i got out of the amrit sanchar. we are not born Sikhs, you have to learn from your mistakes to be one. thats what Sikh means.

just my two cents.

bul chuk maaf

Gurfateh Ji

Think about this.. you are in the shower and all of a sudden you smell smoke. You were just changing your kashera and did not do it the gurmat way so you have no kashera on, and no kirpan. Your house is burning down, while you are busy trying to get your kashera on, you could be dead, while a singh who had his kashera around his legs could just pull it up and get out fast!

Another scenario: your house is being robbed. The robber comes into the bathroom, you are naked and have no shastar, a singh who had his shastar on him could have surprised the robber!

Just because we live in what we think is security, we start to get soft, but remember anything can happen anywhere, all this security is FAKE, false and temporary. Just something to think about.